STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

Techniques, licks, tabs, chords, tutorials
craigcollins

STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

Post by craigcollins »

Anyone agree with me that SRV,s playing is both brilliant and extremely difficult to replicate. Rude Mood and Scuttle Buttlin in particular are so hard to copy. I can play them both not too badly but not at the tempo SRV plays at with the same accuracy. I,ve never seen anyone produce a live performance of these two songs that was half decent although there are some great covers on youtube. In my oppinion, the guy was a genius. Rest in peace Stevie.
2WheelsOfBlues

Re: STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I am certainly agree, he was one of the best.....
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

2WheelsOfBlues wrote:I am certainly agree, he was one of the best.....
As was confirmed in our poll at the beginning of the year.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=550
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
BadBluesPlayer

Post by BadBluesPlayer »

One of the best "Power Trio" guitarists. Played that way his whole career. Very difficult to emulate. Stayed "medicated" as necessary as it was a part of his life and music.

:pray:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Stevie Ray................................... :pray:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

I was a big fan... Saw him four times, spent a lot of years trying to sound like him, then spent a lot more years trying not to sound like him. He had a huge influence on modern blues guitar.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

SRV - Great player ! sadly missed.
Interesting to hear John Mayer interviewed (on the Crossroads DVD I think ) Saying it was SRV's interpretation of the Blues that gave him access and appreciation to the genre. He wasn't aware of or turned into the older blues masters ... but as a youngster could relate to how SRV used the older format and brought it up to date.
He's left a great legacy !
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
deltabluesrookie

Post by deltabluesrookie »

Love his stuff. Never saw him. I watched the studio session with him and Albert King. Priceless!!!!
"I'm Bad...like Jesse james"
raylinds

Post by raylinds »

I was fortunate to see him live several times. He was simply amazing. His ability to switch seamlessly between rhythmn and lead was astounding. He sounded like two guitarists playing together!
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

SRV, well what can I say? he is next to EC the best - Kings in my blues world.

SRV had a kiwi girlfriend and she was a key figure in him coming to New Zealand to do this tv ad, have a look guys,

http://youtu.be/REZ55oM7HfI
In the name of God, Eric Clapton and the Slowhand, Amen.
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

ps, his girlfriend at the time, is the one running with the suit cases at the beginning of the ad.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I don't recall seeing / hearing a better tv-ad! :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

SRV was absolutely one of the greats! And it is extremely difficult to emulate him. I think he brought the blues to a whole new generation at a time when musicianship with soul was not really prominenet. On one hand you had the punk rock thing going on, on the other hand you had the lame and sterile (in my opinion) harband thing, and on the third hand you had the lame pop of the 80's. SRV broke through and satisfied a hunger for soul and chops at the same time. He brought it back to the roots, and he rocked!

I do wish people would stop trying to sound like him though! And I really wish bands would stop playing Pride and Joy! I've never heard anyone do that tune justice.
"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

BluesLicksMaster wrote:SRV was absolutely one of the greats! And it is extremely difficult to emulate him. I think he brought the blues to a whole new generation at a time when musicianship with soul was not really prominenet. On one hand you had the punk rock thing going on, on the other hand you had the lame and sterile (in my opinion) harband thing, and on the third hand you had the lame pop of the 80's. SRV broke through and satisfied a hunger for soul and chops at the same time. He brought it back to the roots, and he rocked!

I do wish people would stop trying to sound like him though! And I really wish bands would stop playing Pride and Joy! I've never heard anyone do that tune justice.

Look I hear you, but I don’t agree with you.
SRV wouldn’t want to be treated as a Saint, in my opinion. He took the blues he heard and made it fit him, just as EC did and etc, etc.
You mention that Pride and Joy covers don’t do “justice” to the original just isn’t a consistent blues perspective.
Isn’t playing the blues dependent on our constant reinvention of other blues songs? And let’s not forget the pure joy one gets just playing a classic.

My two cents!
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

VikingBlues wrote:I don't recall seeing / hearing a better tv-ad! :pray:
Yeah its cool eh?

SRV gained cult status down here pretty quickly, hell when the New Zealand Army and Air Force heard he was going to do the ad they quickly jumped at offering one of its tanks and infantary training grounds plus a skyhook fighter to boot.
BluesLicksMaster

Post by BluesLicksMaster »

kiwiclapton wrote:Look I hear you, but I don’t agree with you.
SRV wouldn’t want to be treated as a Saint, in my opinion. He took the blues he heard and made it fit him, just as EC did and etc, etc.
You mention that Pride and Joy covers don’t do “justice” to the original just isn’t a consistent blues perspective.
Isn’t playing the blues dependent on our constant reinvention of other blues songs? And let’s not forget the pure joy one gets just playing a classic.

My two cents!
Yeah, I agree with you, he was about the music. He was just doing what he loved. I'm not saying he was a saint, I'm saying his influence was huge and that he brought the blues to a whole group of people that might not have got there otherwise.

And yes "playing the blues dependent on our constant reinvention of other blues songs." But I still cringe most of the time when I hear people play that song. It would probably be better if they tried to make it their own, but many people try to sound like SRV, and that drives me nuts. Maybe it's just a personal thing!
"Nobody loves me but my mother, and she could be jivin' too..."
TheRandomJammer

Post by TheRandomJammer »

Man, i have been studying SRV's style for years. It's been one of the most rewarding yet frustrating pursuits as his technique was and still is absolute mastery. I very much enjoy listening to the likes of Philip Sayce, Derek Trucks and Joe B but for me, every time i put on SRV's live in Austin Texas.... the shivers start down my spine :)

Here's my youtube channel with a few SRV attempts.... Nothin' like Stevie but he still continues to be my inspiration.

http://www.youtube.com/user/n0tan0therguitarist

Peace.
MikeL

Post by MikeL »

:pray:

Damn, that's some fiercely good playing to my ears.
Cheers!
Mike

"A broken angel sings
From a guitar"
kiwiclapton

Post by kiwiclapton »

Yep, thanks for the link - great gatfiddle work.