Forest fire danger in the Southwest...

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blindboy

Forest fire danger in the Southwest...

Post by Blindboy »

This blew up last weekend across the Rio Grande valley from where I work. No danger to us, but a good example of why I am nervous!
o0Sdk06WryI
This is one of the driest and windiest summers on record, which makes the fire danger in the forest (where I live) extreme. I have been keeping my guitars next to the front door. If something does blow up before I can get home to evacuate, Miriam has instructions to grab the dogs and cat and get the hell out. Otherwise, I will have to pick and choose among the guitars and amps, as we don't have room to get everything out. Forest closures and restrictions start Friday, and the monsoon season is only a couple of months away. Maybe these measures will get us through unscathed. :whistle: :big_smile:

PS... It is kind of cool, in the video, after dusk, the actual fire is visible. :yikes:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Forest fire danger in the Southwest...

Post by 12bar »

:yikes:
Look impressive - I hope it will not come too close to your home!

Over here it's raining and cold. But a much better thing then fire...
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Wow! Thats' pretty scary, Bb. :yikes:

We've been watching the fires move east from Arizona and thinking about you. :wave:

Last week two of my grandkids were camping with their Dad around Jemez Springs. Another reason we were keeping an eye on the fires.

I told the kids that if they went into Los Ojos to eat to leave a note for you saying, "Hi, from MojoJim". Thought that would be a nice surprise for you - but I don't think they got there. :wave:

They looked at me puzzled and said, "Grandpa, why do you call yourself MojoJim?. That's silly!" :chicken:

Well, um, you see,....... I belong to like a secrect club for grownups - mostly older men - and we all have special names. We meet in our clubhouse that we call the "Forum". You need a password to get in. We talk together and share secret and arcane information about "how to play Blues guitar". It's fun. You'll understand better when you grow up. :music1: :oldie:

Down here in central Texas it's been 106 degrees in the afternoon and bone dry - no rain for months. Real danger of fires here as well - but nothing like in the forests where you are. No fireworks at all on this 4th of July. :alright:

Hope the weather returns to normal soon. :roll:
Last edited by MojoJim on Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Keeping fingers well crossed for you all - scary stuff. :yikes:

You could do with importing a bit of traditional Scottish summer rain. We can tell when it's summer here - the rains warmer.

Good luck. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Wow!!.... Blindboy that is all pretty scary stuff .....Fire is bad enough ..but when you have strong winds ...especially unpredictable ones .. its very unnerving !!

So , sleep with one eye open buddy !

We have a small place in Southern Spain and a couple of years back they had tremendous brush fires in our area and the fire service and army call up folk were swamped. People in Garrucha (which is 5 Kilomentres away from us ) all evacuated and parts of Mojacar also .. ...We were not there at the time but our neighbours were and they said it was very scary, especially the wind aspect and the speed it moved and jumped the fires.... they slept with the hose pipes all connected and ready to run out!!
You'd be hard pressed to see any evidence now, stuff grows back so fast ................but real nasty at the time.

Good Luck mate and stay safe :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Stay safe! I hate forest fires. Had to fight a couple of 'em when I was young and in much better shape. Worked as a timber cutter in the '70s. Back then they would draft our crews to work the fire lines. Now they want trained professionals (and rightly so).
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

AAii looks very bad.

Hope you will be safe, and ofcurse the other people to....

@112 bar,
next week it will be here uround the 30 acrees (graden), and i'm not so far away....
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:yikes: BB... that looks scary. Be very cautious and keep all those very cool guitars in the trunk of your car. Good luck with that, we all hope it doesn't get too close to your place.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

MojoJim wrote:Well, um, you see,....... I belong to like a secrect club for grownups - mostly older men - and we all have special names. We meet in our clubhouse that we call the "Forum". You need a password to get in. We talk together and share secret and arcane information about "how to play Blues guitar". It's fun. You'll understand better when you grow up.
:lol: :rofl:
That may be the best description of what we do that I have heard yet.
We have evacuation plans and are praying a lot... hopefully the monsoon season will come early :roll: . I think that fireworks will be cancelled for the fourth of July. (That may impact our gig that night... be even more packed in the bar) I don't think they have cancelled fireworks since I have lived up here... fifteen years.
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I'm late to the party, as usual. I was checking out the fire from Hwy 550 yesterday as I drove to Albuquerque. It looks big from 50 miles away. According to the New Mexico fire info page, the fire is only 10 percent contained and has burned 5800 acres, so far.

The Pacheco fire: http://nmfireinfo.wordpress.com/

I was wondering , Bb, if the fireworks had been canceled, or not. Only makes sense to do so. Too bad, they can't stop the sale of the fireworks during these kind of conditions.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
DeaconBlues

Re: Forest fire danger in the Southwest...UPDATE!

Post by DeaconBlues »

A new fire broke out this afternoon within 2-3 miles of Bb's place. Residents, including Bb, have been evacuated.
It appears the fire is headed away from Bb's neighborhood, at this time. I'll post more as I hear more.
That boy ain't right...,

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks for the info - let's all hope the fire will soon be under control and does not change it's direction. This is really a horror scenario.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Not such great news Db .....Fingers crossed for Bb his home ...and all his family , pets and gear.

Scary stuff

Lets hope and pray the winds are kind and blow away .........away from Bb's !!

pass on our thoughts and do keep us in the Loop ................I think a rain dance is called for !!.................. :chicken: :banana:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Hokay...
Well, first, let me say that we didn't evacuate. We loaded up three vehicles worth of stuff (Becca came up and helped), but the fire was moving mostly away from us, so we didn't have to leave. (need a "whew, wiping sweat from forehead" smiley) The fire started two miles from our house, and blew up FAST. I am not sure how big it is now, but it is threatening the nearest town. Will update later.
Thanks for all the good wishes, fellers. :thumbsup: :away:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote:(need a "whew, wiping sweat from forehead" smiley)
:phew:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:thumbsup: Glad to know it's moving away, but I hope it misses that town. Frightening stuff for sure. :sad:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Glad you didn't have to go anywhere, Bb.
According to the NM Fire Info web page the fire has consumed 43,597 acres overnight.
That boy ain't right...,

Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

003 - Copy.JPG
003 - Copy.JPG (44.08 KiB) Viewed 16234 times
This is the view from our back deck yesterday afternoon. We were taking a break from loading up valuables. (I was trying to figure out how to get ten guitars, four amps, and a bunch of guns into a Saturn. :think: )
Becca (you all remember Becca, right?) came up and helped us pack and load, then we sat around and picked guitars while waiting for evacuation calls. Fortunately we dodged that bullet. :phew: (thanks Gerd :lol: ).
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

There's a lot of that :phew: stuff going on around here.

We couldn't see much of any kind of smoke plume from the house early this morning, but now the plume has started to climb above Redondo peak considerably.
That boy ain't right...,

MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I think that when you can see the smoke from your front porch - that's too close!

I'd be way too nervous to sit and pick guitar while I watched the fire.

Hope the fire stays away from you Bb and that you can start uploading that Saturn. Your gear is probably complaining about cramped quarters.

I guess your evacuation route would take you south and east towards Albuquerque? Places with fewer trees and more desert?