Lack of energy

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
MichaelRobinson

Lack of energy

Post by MichaelRobinson »

If I were younger and not so bored. If I had a little more teenage energy, I would do my homework and study the theory more. What I miss is first of all penta scales and I do not know how many times I tried to get over the threshold to get started and study.
Furthermore, I need to learn the notes on the fretboard. I am also aware that short-term memory is failing really at my age and it takes a very long time to get something to stick anymore. Just that short-term memory is failing and lack of energy makes me stay at the same spot and get nowhere. It is aging process that struck home. Waiting for nothing and has stopped doing most things except guitars. Sigh...
Can no longer learn me as easily as before, and it gnawing away at me that it has become such a hassle.

If it was not so damned expensive whit a guitar tutor I would go to one who taught me the art of playing and practicing theory and apply theory to practice.
VikingBlues

Re: Lack of energy

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:I am also aware that short-term memory is failing really at my age and it takes a very long time to get something to stick anymore. Just that short-term memory is failing and lack of energy makes me stay at the same spot and get nowhere. It is aging process that struck home. Waiting for nothing and has stopped doing most things except guitars. Sigh...
Can no longer learn me as easily as before, and it gnawing away at me that it has become such a hassle.
I can identify very well with that. For me to learn something new now it has to be to do with patterns on the fretboard as that is all that seems to have a chance of sticking. I have to refer to notes and diagrams if I try to play / sing an existing song ... trying to remember the chords is bad enough but those lyrics just will not stick in my head any more. I think it's way too many years of accounting - enough to beat the brain and the energy and will to do things to a jelly.
MichaelRobinson wrote:If it was not so damned expensive whit a guitar tutor I would go to one who taught me the art of playing and practicing theory and apply theory to practice.
Plus needing the luck of the draw in finding a good guitar tutor. Having been doing on line lessons on JamPlay for 5 years or so I have to say that even with the highly skilled teachers they have that I find a real "connection" with very few. Now in his mid to late 60s Hawkeye Herman has enough enthusiasm and passion for guitar for a bus load of people - that enthusiasm was very catching and it was amazing how it speeded up and helped the learning process for me. But I know I could have made a search amongst local tutors for years and never strike is as lucky.

So I just try and play every day and go with the flow. Every so often I find something new that sticks and I can feel good about that.

Plus I keep looking for anyone who teaches in a way that gives a simple basis for theory and allows me as a player to explore it - most teachers go into huge amounts of complex theory with technical terms and look for you to play something as they do - or just to regurgitate someone elses song / music.

I hope you find a way through your problem or a way to make it bearable.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Re: Lack of energy

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Plus I keep looking for anyone who teaches in a way that gives a simple basis for theory and allows me as a player to explore it - most teachers go into huge amounts of complex theory with technical terms and look for you to play something as they do - or just to regurgitate someone elses song / music.

I hope you find a way through your problem or a way to make it bearable.

.......... and the problem with teachers is that they know their stuff in their sleep and probably take for granted that students also can. I think the teachers have difficult to teach it simple because it's so obvious to them.

My problem: I get to learn to lower the requirements and expectations of myself and go with the flow. It will probably take a bit of time at my age. Rigid who I have become in my molded shape.