Masterclass in Performance and Creativity

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
VikingBlues

Masterclass in Performance and Creativity

Post by VikingBlues »

Masterclass by Pianist Kenny Werner - only listened to 25 minutes or so, but so much of what he says applies to us guitar players too.

I'm identifying with a lot of what he's saying - his distinction between practice and playing is well argued and certainly thought provoking in my view.

Hope it's of interest to others.

Un3p614XExc
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MichaelRobinson

Re: Masterclass in Performance and Creativity

Post by MichaelRobinson »

The message is...............Do NOT think, just play.
VikingBlues

Re: Masterclass in Performance and Creativity

Post by VikingBlues »

MichaelRobinson wrote:The message is...............Do NOT think, just play.
This is a good thought. I like his clear distinction between the way to approach practice and playing - two different sides of the brain ... one analytical and one creative.

I also thought it good advice about not letting your impression of the quality of your own playing affect how you think of yourself as a person. I know I've done that - really bad playing when I was really wanting results and that feeling afterwards of being a failure as a human being. Ridiculous to do that, but easily done.

I wish too I could follow his advice and not look for / listen for all the bad things in a performance (well a recording in my case).

I'm also interested that he feels the best playing / performance often comes from him and his group when they don't give a rats ass.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!