Music that talk to me

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
MichaelRobinson

Music that talk to me

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hi boys and girls. Or should I say hello man and women.........You know what I mean.

This BT talk right into my hart and mind. It's simple and yet great. It's a bit Pink Floyd-ish. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utaR1Vu4isI.

What do you listen to besides blues ? What kind of music talk to you ? Would be interesting to know your taste.
VikingBlues

Re: Music that talk to me

Post by VikingBlues »

Very Pink Floyd ... and can hear that would be fun to jam along with. :thumbsup:

What do I listen to besides blues .... :think:

I've always had a bit of a liking for Prog Rock I'm afraid ... I loved the Pink Floyd Barratt era with the extended improvisational pieces and getting their conventional instruments to play in unusual ways. I was very disappointed at the time with how conventional Dark Side of the Moon was (I was very out of step with popular opinion) ... don;t mind it too much now but prefer Wish You Were Here and The Divison Bell of the later Floyd albums. This Syd Barratt / Floyd listening spun into a liking for a lot of German prog groups - Can and Amon Duul 2 being my favourites. I still have one current Prog group I get the albums for when they come out - Riverside from Poland - don't know why they appeal to me in a way the others don't though.

When at school the guys into music were mainly in two camps - Deep Purple and Led Zepplin ... I was out of step (again) on my own with Black Sabbath.

Somehow in those early years - despite the amazing British Blues movement - I never really picked up on blues. That was to come much later.

In my twenties I got more heavily into Classical music (including Classical Guitar). I still listen to a bit of Classical, but the amount of time I need to put aside to listen properly to a piece makes it difficult. But hearing something like the Deus Irae from Verdi Requiem conducted by Claudio Abbado gives me chills in a way that no other music does. I also recall going to a concer of Shostakovich 11 where after the long amazing crescendo at the end of the (2nd?) movement I found my pulse rate had gone way up to match the beat of the music - huge amount of percussion in that piece and it hit you with a physical impact. The sound of lorries and buses on the main round outside the concert hall sounded very muted afetr that concert - took a few hours to hear normally again.

Difficult to categorise the sort of music I like now though - if it's music with vocals it has a lot to do with the singer - if I like the vocal I'll listen to a wide range of genres and styles, but the same song sung by a vocalist I don't like won't appeal. If it's heavily guitar based I tend to like the slower players who try to get most emotion from a few notes - I've listened enough in the past to the hundred notes a second players and no longer find myself awed by technical proficiency.

Better stop now. I'm rambling on aimlessly. :shy:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ratfinkdan

Re: Music that talk to me

Post by ratfinkdan »

Of course I love the blues esspecially the stuff out of Chicago from the 50s-early 70s but yeah I listen to a lot of other stuff also. Been listening to some of the early The Black Crowes lately, really enjoying it. Also listen to a lot of more obscure bands like The Steepwater band, Alabamia shakes, Rufus Huff although its probably all blues based. Dan