Very Unsettled

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
VikingBlues

Very Unsettled

Post by VikingBlues »

Very unsettled at work just now - the owner of the group we're part of passed away on Monday after a severe heart attack.

He was very much the driving force behind the strategy of the business. It feels a bit like you're on a ship and suddenly realise you can't hear the engine running.

It is a family run business so there are other family members who are heavily involved - but that makes things awkward too - where do professional and personal boundaries lie - how much should business as usual be the thing to do - what is the expected etiquette in these circumstances etc. :icon_whoknows:

I haven't had to speak to any of the faily members yet, and I am dreading those moments - sending off a card to them this morning in the hope that reaches them before I speak to them, but even then .....

I found myself trying every delaying tactic I could think of before going to work this morning.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Very Unsettled

Post by 12bar »

Bad news - I can understand your uncertainness, a bad situation to handle. Anyway, I wish the best for your company.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Hi VB

its a cruddy situation that's for sure.

But its an act of God and there is nothing much you can do about it, or the future of the company I suspect........What will be will be re the company.

As to what you can/should do ...I don't there is a right or wrong in thse situations.

Just be you and continue to do the job at hand to the best of your ability, reduce the amount of stuff you would normally refer to them for a bit.

When you meet with them, which you will daily I guess ....

Offer your Condolences.
Offer your help if you think that would be helpful. (The Family, will be as shocked as you , if not more so. So may well be looking for extra assistance just to keep business ticking over while they do what is necessary Family wise)
Depending on the Family closeness to the Owner , their business head might well be a bit lacking for a while .and they won't be in much of a mood to make key decisions I suspect.

All the best matey .......
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks 12bar and Strummer. Just keeping my head down now. I'm at a site in the group where there's no family members and don't have direct reporting on a regular basis to any of them, so it's a wait and see when there is a contact - could be today, could be in a fortnight, a month. In a way that makes it more difficult. :icon_whoknows:

I'm not good with words when having to think on my feet. That's why I post on forums. I need an hour or two to put my thoughts together, so I'm not ideally equipped for this sort of scenario. :sad:

It must be very difficult for them to be able to focus on business at a time like this but as there's so many of them involved in key positions they've got no other option.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

That's rough...
Hope everything works out OK.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"