Where do you buy youre BT's ??

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
MichaelRobinson

Where do you buy youre BT's ??

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Hi

I'm interested in wher you find youre BT's. I need some new and I seem to download and use copyright protected ones without knowing it. I want to stay legal so I wonder where you buy youre BT's ????
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/ is the place that soupose have free BT's but I'm not shure it's true any more.
Last edited by MichaelRobinson on Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
vancouverois

Re: Where do you buy youre BT's ??

Post by vancouverois »

Here is a link to guitar center "Battle of the Blues competition" backtracks, I guess they are
free and legal about copyrights, otherwise site admins feel free to delete the link:
http://gc.guitarcenter.com/battleoftheb ... /index.cfm

You Tube has a lot of free backtracks too.

Mr Renman tracks:
http://www.dolphinstreet.com/backing_tracks/

If you're willing to pay for backtracks, I guess there are plenty of them you
can find with a search engine.
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

The only ones I pay for are the David Wallimann ones at Guitar Playback.com ... which I know you already have used.

The other major sections in my collection are from Jamplay (but you need to be a member to get/use [personal use only]). and six free ones.

Apart from Lawrence Fritts (which again you already know), and Pete Anderson (guitarcentre.com) already mentioned by VC, there are
=Bluesblast.com [personal, non-commercial use],
=freejamtracks.com [personal use only],
=guitarbackingtrack.com (especially under "J" where you find general jamtracks) [clearly state where you got the tracks from. The tracks cannot be used for commercial purposes without the artist's permission],
=Jamtracks.ru/en [not for commercial use]
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

There are hundreds of copyright violations on the backing track websites. Usually this doesn't matter if you download and use them just for yourself, without uploading anywhere. As soon as you start publishing, problems (be it here or youtube or soundclick) may come. You'll never know if an unkown BT is really free for all sorts of use, but there are some things to prove:

Most likely the BT is copyright protected when:
  • it sounds very professional (exception: i.e. the Fritts BT's).
  • a voice and lyrics is included
  • it's named "Stormy Monday Blues" (named like a Blues song) rather than "90bpm shuffle in E minor"
As for the commercial use: this site has some ads, this is no secret at it helps to cover the server/hosting costs. It is possible to consider this as "commercial" depending on the definition. To be safe, use BT's that are free for every use. Or do your own.

I know this legal things are bugging :nuts: but in case of a lawsuit this can ruin your/my life.
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

12bar

I respect the law and you and I don't want you to be the one how have to pay for my misstakes.

regards
Michael
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I have contacted David Wallimann at GuitarPlayback.com, because I do often like to use his (paid for) backing tracks.

From my e-mail to him (he told me about 2 years ago I could use his tracks for "personal use". This is why there's a reference to "additional question"):-

Hi David

Sorry to be a nuisance, but I've an additional question on this. Shows how the copyright landscape on the internet has changed over the last couple of years. If I use one of your backing tracks and play an improv over it on an audio recording (or very rarely a video), and then load my "creation" onto a blues forum I'm on, or upload it to somewhere like soundclick and link to that from the blues forum thread, is that still OK as counting as purely "personal" use.

The blues forum owner is very concerned as to the extension of the term "commercial" use recently, as there are instances of action being taken in circumstances like this, because a forum runs some ads to support it's funding and therefore falls foul of "commercial" use despite no money being directly made from the use of the backing track. I guess the same argument could be used for "commercial" use if there were no ads but the members of the forum paid a subscription.

David Wallimanns reply

Hi Mark,
You have my full permission!
Just don't upload the backing track without you playing over it and mention that you got the backing from Guitar Playback.
Tha is for asking!

David

David is not just a creator of very good backing tracks, and isn't just a damn good teacher - he's a nice guy too. :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:phew: Thanks VB for asking and a big thanks to David - that sounds really good and makes life easier! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Pena

Post by Pena »

Hih, hih just few mins back I bought a blues bundle from Guitar Playback.com :big_smile:
Now all I gotto do is to find some time to noodle with the BT's :lefty:
First some Strongbow and :snacks: to get in the mood :lol:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson