Post by Pena »

Happy Independence Day to the other side of the big pond :wave:
From a Finnish :oldie:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
Strummer07

Re: Independence

Post by Strummer07 »

Its not a celebration that features a lot over here in the UK ......."Great Britian" that was !!! !!!

But have a cracking day chaps ...

and a nice cup of tea on us !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Thanks guys. Yep, there will be lots of backyard cookouts today and fireworks with band music tonight.

On the 4th of July I think about the good life I've had over here. But as I get older I also take a broader perspective and appreciate my heritage. It was my grandparents who were the English and Irish immigrants to New England. The towns around mine included Taunton, Newport, Somerset and others that have original counterparts in the southwest corner of England. With the Irish influence, I was raised Irish Catholic just south of Boston and was taught to be proud of my Irish heritage as well. It was clear where my roots were and where my culture and values came from.

My wife's family was German and can be traced back to the late 1790s in Blount County, Tennessee. They've been in America for quite a while.

So my kids are German-Irish-English and maybe a smattering of Native American and/or African American. My kids were raised here in Texas and don't relate particularly to their European roots - at least not the way I do. They think they are Texans. There are no cowboys or ranchers (or oil money) in their backgrounds so they are New Texans. They live in suburbs and work in technology industries. But they are building their American lives with the same values that were passed down to me and my wife from our European ancestors.

My daughter married a man whose family was originally from Mexico and now, in addition to all the blue eyes in the family, I have a grandson with brown eyes. And so the story continues.....

It's a typical American story and is certainly part of what we celebrate today. And that's my essay on "What the 4th of July Means to Me".
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Jim

that is a lovely story !! thanks for retelling it .hertitage and family history are what make us what we are ....and it great when folks know it , recall it, celebrate it and above all pass it on to kith and kin.

2010 seems to have become much more 'now' and immediate and alway racing to get to tomoorrow.
Which in some respects is OK .................. but
Yesterday has its place

as does Today and being in the moment

Enjoy your 4th and your cookout !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

I woke up this morning thinking "what can I post on the 12Bar forum concerning our independence day?" I am please, and proud, that the first post was made by someone from another country...(thank you Pena). And MoJo Jim... that was a wonderful story of your life and heritage. We all live in countries which we each call home and home is always a special place. The USA is my home and I am proud that today is her birthday.

Happy Birthday USA

[youtube]wP_Ok79l_wc[/youtube]
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Pena

Post by Pena »

I wrote the topic, because I feel independence is truly a thing to honor.
Our independence day always reminds me of my father, and his 5 years contribute for us having our independence now,
He's been in peace about 15 years now. More older I get, more I respect him and he and his m8s efforts for keeping our independence here.
Sorry, for getting a bit sentimental.
Thank you Jim for your wonderful story, family history is exellent heritage.
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
tradrrr

Post by tradrrr »

Thanks, Pena.

I spent the 4th enjoying BBQ and live outdoor music. Not much better.
Let me tell you what the blues is....