World Cup

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Golfxzq

Re: World Cup

Post by Golfxzq »

:clap: Congrats... HBL.... Good game!

Now... Wednesday and Sunday should be interesting!!! Looking forward to a good cold one to celebrate with someone... :beer:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

@HBL: :rofl:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Holland are doing really well - there's a lot of high profile players who have not been much in evidence in this world cup. Arjen Robben has been very much in evidence. With Germany playing with such resolve, purpose and skill there must be a good chance of those two meeting in the final.

And that will be interesting, if only for how it might cramp our style in suggesting who we might want to win.

It would be the best two teams playing in the final though. Stop sucking up to "the management" Viking. :naughty:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:@HBL: :rofl:
:naughty:

:wink:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

We'll see this evening (although I'm not a die-hard football/soccer fan)... :whistle:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Neither am I, but in this case I'm quite willing to make an exception :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sorry Gerd :alright:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Gerd ...................I am sorry for you !! your team has been the team of the tournament ...........until tonight !

Both teams played played well ..............BUT .....Germany met a Spanish team in full flow.

Best game of the tournament by far (for me) and Spain were awesome ......in defence they just never gave Germany a chance !! ....closed everything down ..........usually 4 or 5 players massing in defence ..and then some stunning passing out ...best passing sequences in the 2nd half I can recall from the Spanish.

and they should have scored at least once more and probably twice in the 2nd half ......when Pedro ?? did not pass to Torres , who was wide open in the box ....who wasn't screaming at the screen ...."Pass it " "Pass it " !!!

There will be some heavy heads in Spain tomorrow !!!

So Holland Versus Spain in the finals ............who would have guessed that ????

Roll on Sunday .............gonnna be a good game :thumbsup:

could be some beer drunk ...all over the world !! .but especaily in Holland ( Oranjeboom !!) and Spain ( St Miguel )

I will be sipping the odd glass of ...........San Miguel !! :beer:
Last edited by Strummer07 on Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

No problem, Spain was better... congrats! They're young, maybe next time. Good luck HBL! :clap:

The true reason is - we're leaving for holiday on Saturday and we wanted empty streets.
So now they have to play on Saturday and everyone watches TV :big_smile:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Ahhhh... alas.. I will have to give up my dreams of being a bookie. My prediction of Germany taking it all did not come to pass.

:alright: Sorry 12 Bar.... and :clap: Congrats again HBL.

Anyone on here from Spain? It should be a rip-roaring-good-time on Sunday. Let's break out the suds :beer:
- Henry Ford
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

I was rooting for Germany as well. I thought we ought to keep the final game "in house". :cry: :wall: :motz:

Oh, well. I'll look for that young German team in four years in Brazil. :thumbsup:

Congrats, HBL. I'm looking forward to a big party on Sunday. :beer:
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

:beer: Well.... it's all over but the beer drinkin'.

It was a real tight game... shows how well matched the two teams were!

:alright: To Germany and Netherlands but second and third in the World ain't all that bad :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats to Spain on your win.
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Golfxzq wrote::beer: Well.... it's all over but the beer drinkin'.

It was a real tight game... shows how well matched the two teams were!

:alright: To Germany and Netherlands but second and third in the World ain't all that bad :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Congrats to Spain on your win.
Golfxzq has put it so well so I'll just agree with all that is said above.

I feel sorry for some of the players who tried so hard for the teams that didn't quite make it. Two in particular. Bastian Schweinsteiger who seems to have reinvented himself and played so well as a holding midfielder with great distribution skills. And I was surprised to see Gio Van Bronckhorst playing in these world cup finals - I remember him as an outstanding player for Glasgow Rangers in 1998-2001 when our two boys were still children and playing football in the garden when we first moved to our current house. He certainly played really well for an "oldie".

Commiserations to Hans and Gerd. :alright:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ah well, there will be a next time :)
I'm proud of the fact that the Dutch have showed us all how to make this thing in to one big (orange) party just like we always do with speed skating on a smaller scale
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Well done Spain!
I'm sorry to say(HBL), that the Dutch team get my "BEST ACTING" award for the duration of the World Cup.
And the England team ??? Well...........!!! :mercy: :rofl: :wall: :wall:
Thank the Lord for the Blues!
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

I thought the best team of the tournament won through in the end.
Spain thoroughly deserved to win .....congratulations to them :thumbsup:
Holland did really well to get to the final :thumbsup: .......but then seemed to lose the plot.

I really did not like their style of play and the fouling play :thumbsdown: that they brought to the 1st half .they should have been down to 10 men by half time .....the tackle on Alonso was ugly and very dangerous .he'll have some unwanted marks on his chest this morning .. perhaps a cracked rib too.

I understand the Dutch desire to upset the Spanish flow and break passing and possession.....they just chose a real bad way to go about doing it.

It just took the edge off the final for me as a spectacle .........its wasn't a good advert for football

Best game of the tournament was probably Germany vs Spain in the Semi's and Iniesta gets my vote for man of the tournament.

Here's to Brazil in 2014 :thumbsup: ...if the young German team continues to improve ..it could be exciting stuff.

England .....back to the drawing board ..along with France !!.....Both teams have some serious issues to resolve methinks.

Now we can all relax , turn off the televisions and get on with stuff ...life ........and all that kind of thing !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011