PC recording

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Bluesmole

PC recording

Post by Bluesmole »

I have wanted to post to The Blues Room for a long time, but not had the 'computer' confidence. I have recently followed Gerd's instructions for home recording (the BASIC bit!), but would like, for posting purposes, to get a better sound.
Is it possible to transfer a track from my Boss looper onto Media Player and then to the Blues Room?
I have finally ordered "PC recording for Dummies", which, I hope will take me a bit further!! :oldie: :yikes: :icon_whoknows:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
12bar
Site Admin

Re: PC recording

Post by 12bar »

I don't have a boss looper, but you can record anything that outputs a signal. I'd use Audacity instead of any Microsoft program. It's free and allows you to edit the file after recording.
weelie

Post by weelie »

I do have a boss looper. I recorded my small loops (in my introduction thread) through MicroCube to Zoom H4 to Reaper software on my very old laptop. Yea, too many electronics in that chain already. I assume output from amp with an instrument cable would work if your computer isn't real old.
nxsneil

Post by nxsneil »

As long as you can connect a USB to transfer file in .wav or .mp3 format to your PC it shouldn't be a problem. You can connect it up with any USB interface Stealth plug etc. to connect to a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation - software) As per 12bar comment, you will get better results and have more flexibility for editing with Audacity, although I mainly use Tracktion software. :beer:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Someday I aint gonna worry my life anymore....
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Where else can you post a Question and get helpful replies from all over the world? Many thanks Bluesguys!
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Tried looper with just guitar lead direct into laptop. TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE!!
But, I've spent a lot of sweat in the garden recently, so I rewarded myself with a Behringer Guitarlink UCG 102, which includes ENERGY XT2 & NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GUITAR COMBOS. This means I will be studying instead of posting for a while!!!!
Cross your fingers /'haltet die Daumen'.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Bluesmole wrote: a Behringer Guitarlink UCG 102, which includes ENERGY XT2 & NATIVE INSTRUMENTS GUITAR COMBOS.
Hi bluesmole..
to the unwashed/ unititiated the above sounds quite dangerous !! :yikes:

add a dash or two of 'PC Recording for Dummies' ...Light Blue Touchpaper and retire !!

so good luck ginger !!

Hope to hear from you in a week or two !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Hi Bluesmole - good luck learning your recording software. I just spent weeks trying to understand the new recording software I have (Studio One from Presonus). I've been able to do some basic things but I've just scratched the surface.

I found that all the operating concepts were modeled on traditional analog recording studio gear. So, if I had been working as a recording engineer for the past ten years then I would have understood the software right away. Since I've never been in a recording studio the terms "bounce", "sends", "inserts", "subchannel", etc. took some learning.

I'll be interested in hearing how it goes for you and what you think.

Good luck!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Back in the dark ages when I started recording using audacity, I took the famous HBL shortcut.

1 - find out the programs basics and hardware related settings.
2 - hit record and play something (check screen for waveform shapes to appear if they don't goto 1)
3 - stop recording and start playback
4 - listen and adjust where needed
5 - save files

6 -10 try tweaking things like panning, compression, fx etc. save using another (add "01") filename

Like the finished result ? post to bluesroom.

The above may sound weird, for someone who has a name for his guitar sound. But it is the way I started out.
After my starting out I learned new things over time. It is the way of building my skills I use for almost everything.

Even when I learn IT / computer related things, or study for exams.
Back in 200/2001 while I was studying for my Mcse I had quite a MS network running, just for my study.
The night before I had to attend my final (6th) exam ( MS Proxy server) I was busy troubleshooting a proxyserver for a good friend. I got home at 2:00 am, went to bed, got out of bed around 7:00 am. Did some reading and went into the exam @ 10:00 am... and passed :dance:
Now, whenever I have to make exams, I play around with te product and base my study on that. Judging by the result of my last Rsa enVision exam (94% passing score) my method
works for me... learning while practicing.
Guitar playing, recording..... it works till now :think:

I guess that what i'm trying to say is : Don't be to focused on learning every in and out about the software. Try, experiment, play :lefty:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That's exactly the way I learn, too. :handshake:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

So we seem to have something in common :handshake:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
weelie

Post by weelie »

It is a learning process, for sure. Like it is with using pedals, for example. Or playing guitar.

Audacity is a nice software, quite simple to use. Quite easy to add effects or cut stuff etc. Actually there are many youtube tutorial videos on it. But I think your basic HBL shortcut is missing the "restart teh software" or restart the PC... that is needed once in a while. Also it should have one of these: have a smoke, go for a coffee, count to 10, tend the garden...

But as for what you need in between your amp and the PC, there seems to be a zillion choices. I use the Zoom H4, like I said. Guitar to loop pedal to PC direct won't work, I assume.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

weelie wrote:I think your basic HBL shortcut is missing the "restart teh software" or restart the PC...
Huh ? :yikes: :eye_rub: Re(s)tart PC :motz: :haha: :naughty: :angry:

:away:
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Personally, I recomend getting a stereo mini-plug - it looks exactly the the plug you put intp an iPod. At the other end use the plugs that conform to the OUTPUT of whatever device you record on. Plug that into the "microphone" input on your computer.

For recording that signal, there is a GREAT shareware program for simple stereo recording called GoldWave - you can download a very functional trial version for free that works forever. This is great for simple transfers into your computer of a stereo wave file. http://www.goldwave.com/

You also need to download a special file (lame_mp3.dll) that allows goldwave to "save as" wav files as MP3 files - which is the standard for downloadable sound files here: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Lame_MP3 - just put that file in the same folder as the rest of your GoldWave program files. C:\program files\goldwave\

Audacity is a very good multi-tracking program (I hear, I have not used it since I have ProTools). But that is more complicated than merely transferring files. By the way - Even with Protools I still use Goldwave to "master" my mixes. It allows you to compress stereo mixes, fix the E.Q. - change the loundness,trim off countoffs, etc - all the things a mastering program normally does.

Just FYI - you cannot use Windows Media Recorder to record .wav files because it limits them to one minute.
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Just an update.
A lot has happened since I posted. I had a 'warning' mini-stroke, telling me to stop teaching and retire!!
I'm fine now and have found the extra time very useful for 'learning' to use Audacity. It really is good
and I'm working on a backing track I've made on my looper, then recording this onto my computer and adding the 'lead', playing directly onto the computer,
using the interface.
Still a lot to learn, but getting there. :oldie:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Bluesmole wrote:Just an update.
A lot has happened since I posted. I had a 'warning' mini-stroke, telling me to stop teaching and retire!!
I'm fine now and have found the extra time very useful for 'learning' to use Audacity. It really is good
and I'm working on a backing track I've made on my looper, then recording this onto my computer and adding the 'lead', playing directly onto the computer,
using the interface.
Still a lot to learn, but getting there. :oldie:
Hi Bluesmole - I'm glad the warning has had a positive outcome. I'm in awe of anyone that can cope with a teaching environment in these times, and being able to escape from it sounds like good medicine. :thumbsup:

I'm also glad to hear that the recording techniques are starting to make sense. :D I find recording a really rewarding hobby - I suspect it's a major reason I'm still retaining at least a reasonable amount of my sanity.

You'll not be surprised to hear I'm keen to hear the end results when you feel happy enough with your progress - I do still remember how terrifying it was posting my first piece to the blues room - still less than a year ago - it was the first time ever I'd let my music out for public scrutiny! :yikes:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
drockadam

Post by drockadam »

Audacity is the best for computer recording. I totally recommend it!
Keep The Blues Alive,

- Adam De Rocco
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Congrats on retirement... My wife recently retired from teaching, and is much more relaxed now. :whistle:
I use Audacity and find it pretty intuitive and useful.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"