A strange night...(doublebooked at the bar)

Everything that doesn't fit elsewhere
Blindboy

A strange night...(doublebooked at the bar)

Post by Blindboy »

Open mic was pretty wierd last night. :roll: We showed up with all our gear, and the bartender told us that the owner had hired another band. :motz: :angry: Then, when they were late showing up, he (the owner) told us to go ahead and set up. :roll: We were just about ready to roll, when the other band showed up with all their gear. :roll: Fortunately, they were pretty cool, and after some initial confusion, things got under way with all of us sharing the stage (not all at once, it's a small stage) doing alternate sets. There were lots of jammers for the open mic, (four drummers! :yikes: ) and I talked my friend Becca up onstage to do some of her originals. Near the end of the night, the guitarist from the other band (Electric Edric, a rock cover band) invited me up to sit in. Because of the initial confusion, he was playing through my Fender Prosonic amp, so I plugged into my old Super Reverb (with an Ibanez tube screamer). These guys were LOUD :yikes: . When I got up, Edric said something about a guitar war, and started off on "Cocaine". :roll: Now, I don't do the head cutting thing (music isn't a contest) but there I was. So I cranked up the old Super and we all went after it. It was way too loud, couldn't hear much onstage, but it was kind of fun to open up the Super, which I haven't done in years. Had it on 6 , when I usually play it on about 3 in that bar. Sounded good. Anyway, noone was injured, the crowd dug it, and at the end of the night, Edric asked for my number. Said he wanted me to work with them sometimes. :icon_whoknows: It seems that what could have been a disasterous night turned out pretty well, and may even have opened up some opportunities. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Re: A strange night...(doublebooked at the bar)

Post by Strummer07 »

Sounds like quite a night Bb !!

and opening up the amp must have been fun, ..certainly blown a few of the cobwebs away !! :clap: YeeeeeeHaaaaaa!!!! :music2: :amp:

Sounds like you needa few words with the bar- owner tho :icon_whoknows: ...........mind he kinda lucked out in the end .....2 bands for the price of one!!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

True, Strummer. A few tempers got kind of hot at the beginning of the night, but it all worked out. Hopefully there will be better communication henceforth. :whistle:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Grin, I would have set cybie to 10, gain to 7 and kicked in the distortion fx.... 130 wattttttttts blowing trough 2 12"speakers... earplugs would have been mandatory :nuts:

souns like a crappy kinda fun... in a way :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Blindboy wrote:Edric asked for my number. Said he wanted me to work with them sometimes. :icon_whoknows: It seems that what could have been a disasterous night turned out pretty well, and may even have opened up some opportunities. :thumbsup:
I guess that Edric guy new some good playing when he heard it :high5:

That night actually sounds like it was a blast... I bet the patrons liked it !!!!
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I really admire your playing Blindboy and I'm not surprised Edric did too - over and above that I'm in awe of anyone who can stand up in front of a crowd and play - glad you had fun after such a rocky start to the evening. :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

:thumbsup:
Sounds it finally turned to what we know as "happy end"! Edric (not Eric? :big_smile: ) has a good taste.
Now all we need is a video or at least some audio :wink: ...
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Grin, I would have set cybie to 10, gain to 7 and kicked in the distortion fx.... 130 wattttttttts blowing trough 2 12"speakers... earplugs would have been mandatory :nuts:

souns like a crappy kinda fun... in a way :)
I would like to see that :eye_rub:
Yeah, it wound up being fun. A good lesson in rolling with the punches and focusing on why we really play.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues wrote:I really admire your playing Blindboy and I'm not surprised Edric did too - over and above that I'm in awe of anyone who can stand up in front of a crowd and play - glad you had fun after such a rocky start to the evening. :big_smile:
Thanks VB. Playing in front of people really isn't that hard, (except for the first hundred or so times :big_smile: ) I actually get a charge out of it. Recording, however really intimidates me. :icon_whoknows:
12bar wrote::thumbsup:
Sounds it finally turned to what we know as "happy end"! Edric (not Eric? :big_smile: ) has a good taste.
Now all we need is a video or at least some audio :wink: ...
Yup, a "happy end" indeed.
As for video or audio, I wish.... :cool: