Kossoff Collaboration

Upload your backing tracks here
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
cruisemates

Kossoff Collaboration

Post by cruisemates »

Someone said Paul Kossof was one of their fave guitar players and I agree - so I upload this end part of a song - it is just the end jam so no copy probs - and I think it would be cool if everyone jammed to it and posted. It is short so I can just loop the solos when done if you want.

if is a great riff to blue to - has a real nice flow to it.

download/file.php?id=50
Attachments

kossof.mp3 - (847.92 KiB)

Blindboy

Re: Kossoff Collaboration

Post by Blindboy »

Never really listened to Kossof, but here is a take on that riff. Sorry it took so long, I have been pretty busy.
download/file.php?id=66
Not really my bag, but I tried to get a rock feel. :icon_whoknows:
Attachments

kossof.mp3 - (883.31 KiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Bb...for someone who is not a Kossof fan and has therefore , presumably not listened to Free a whole lot ........thats is a really good interpretayion !! :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks Strummer.
No, I haven't listened to them any more than was on the radio when I was growing up (All Right Now). I saw them in concert once, but it was long after Paul Kossof passed.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Can I echo what Strummer said Bb - that really is a good interpretation. :clap: :clap:

I've had a go myself but ...
I can't get the hang of playing in other guitarists styles,
I can't do the Kossoff vibrato, but then I don't have his heavy picks, heavy strings, or as much playing talent in my whole body as Koss had in his little finger. Even EC asked Koss for advice on vibrato - good grief!

I can't say like Blindboy I haven't listened to Free for years - I have the Free Forever DVD which has about all the live footage of them that exists and have watched it a lot. A Granada TV set of 5 songs including an astounding Mr Big has some of the best live Blues/Rock playing on it I have ever seen and Koss was amazing in this, just a guitar and amp, leaning back on the speakers and producing such beautiful sounds with such economy. Helped I suppose to have Paul Rodgers singing and such a musical bass player as Andy Fraser that allowed Koss to be economical with the number of notes.

Anyway for what it's worth (very little folks) here's a very pale imitation / interpretation. Not in the Bb class but I felt as the person that mentioned Koss on the forum and sparked this post i ought to at least have a go. :sad:

download/file.php?id=68
Attachments

KossoffVB.mp3 - (876.54 KiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Hell yeah!, VB that sounds good!
I have no idea what that tune was "supposed" to sound like so I just played what the changes seemed to call for. I think what you played complimented what I played really well (no matter what it was "supposed" to sound like)) I am looking forward to hearing more! I am of the opinion that a player should make a cover tune his/her own. I can't stand hearing someone do a tune "exactly note for note" like the original. :motz: :oldie:
I am curious, what guitar are you playing on this?
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Hell yeah!, VB that sounds good!
I have no idea what that tune was "supposed" to sound like so I just played what the changes seemed to call for. I think what you played complimented what I played really well (no matter what it was "supposed" to sound like)) I am looking forward to hearing more! I am of the opinion that a player should make a cover tune his/her own. I can't stand hearing someone do a tune "exactly note for note" like the original. :motz: :oldie:
I am curious, what guitar are you playing on this?
Thanks BB, glad you thought it would tone in with yours - I used the Tokai LC85 on this as it was the nearest I've got to the Gibson Les Pauls Koss used. NOT that doing this resulted in anything like his sound. I have no saved set up on my Tonelab PC recording interface for this type of piece, so I just played around for a few minutes using the UK 70s setting with a bit of Treble Boost and used the neck pickup (I think Koss tended to use the bridge pup).

I agree with you that we should play our own interpretations and that should include the tone too. If we wanted to emulate tone we should maybe (and those of you who love their guitars sit down before reading this) sand all the finish off our Les Pauls. Koss did this a lot I believe as he reckoned any finish at all would affect the tone. Hmmm.. I think I'll pass on that one. :D

Interested to hear any other attempts at this one. Anyone??
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
cruisemates

Post by cruisemates »

Well - I appreciate you both giving it a go. it is funny bercause blues is not really my thing, although I appreciate the people who can do it. I came to this site originally because it said "Eric Clapton" and he did a lot more than blues. Now it is the 12-bar site.

In any case - I think your playing is very good, both of you. There is different feel to it from the blues, more of a "push" is all I can think of to describe it.

I think if you both had more of a Kosoff tone (more sustain) both of you would sound a lot more authentic on it than you may think. Very cool.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

cruisemates wrote:it is funny bercause blues is not really my thing, although I appreciate the people who can do it. I came to this site originally because it said "Eric Clapton" and he did a lot more than blues. Now it is the 12-bar site.
The new name has other reasons, the tutorial is still based on EC's songs and albums, but I removed the term "Slowhand" because of possible legal issues after I got post from a lawyer some time ago.

The forum however is more general - we do what we like... even some great Kossoff stuff :clap: