Gravitating BT

Upload your backing tracks here
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Re: Gravitating BT

Post by VikingBlues »

Now there IS a great joint venture! :clap: :clap:

That's four good versions now - like Strummer said "This BT is generating some good results !!". Very well done all. :thumbsup:

I had been messing around a bit and noodling with this BT tonight but I think I'll need to get it a lot more focussed and coherent to be worthy of being in this company.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

You've all set the bar so bloody high - so before I cicken out! :chicken:

VSA590 - with nails grown back to a half OK length no pick this time - wooden or otherwise. I'm glad of that. Probably lost my way a few times with melodies as I found myself just enjoying those P90 tones. :thumbsup:

It's a toughie but this is as good as I can do just now. It's a sort of a mournful take on it all - that fits my current state of mind. :sad:

download/file.php?id=856
Attachments

Weighed Down by Gravity - A VB take on a BT.
Weighed Down By Gravity.mp3 - (3.78 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Now, who is setting the bar high.. Ha ! You're standing on your toes VB and your legs,body and arms are longer then mine :D
Well done. This flows sooo nice soulful and easy going. Just gotta love this.

I'm out of time for today otherwise.....

Been goofing around with Cyberlinks PowerDirector 64 Ultra and an all to familiar video. This one I got working on the main system. I already have the pip vids of you singing and me playing the first lead part.
So I'm living up to my promise and am creating a awsome vid for the old man of the sea with some live 12bar people in there.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Really enjoyed my listen to your's Viking, a lot more subtle and laid back tone than mine was. It's hard not to sound sweet playing this song and you really got that across.
As i just bought my first guitar with P90's and it's on it's way i was really interested in your tone and i'm looking forwards to getting mine even more now after hearing you. It's also encouraging to me that i hear other players such as yourself using similar phrases and note selection, reassures me that i'm not playing it wrong.
Overall superb effort VB.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Now, who is setting the bar high.. Ha ! You're standing on your toes VB and your legs,body and arms are longer then mine :D
Well done. This flows sooo nice soulful and easy going. Just gotta love this.

:D Thank you - dunno if the flow was helped by some Akkerman listening the last few days. My VSA590 seems to have a easy going mellow character so some of this was sort of playing itself.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:I'm out of time for today otherwise.....

Now there's an intriguing thought.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Been goofing around with Cyberlinks PowerDirector 64 Ultra and an all to familiar video. This one I got working on the main system. I already have the pip vids of you singing and me playing the first lead part.
So I'm living up to my promise and am creating a awsome vid for the old man of the sea with some live 12bar people in there.
And theres an even more intriguing thought!!!! :drool:
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:Really enjoyed my listen to your's Viking, a lot more subtle and laid back tone than mine was. It's hard not to sound sweet playing this song and you really got that across.
As i just bought my first guitar with P90's and it's on it's way i was really interested in your tone and i'm looking forwards to getting mine even more now after hearing you. It's also encouraging to me that i hear other players such as yourself using similar phrases and note selection, reassures me that i'm not playing it wrong.
Overall superb effort VB.

Many thanks for the encouraging words. :D Ahhh - laid back is a favoured option of mine - comes down to not being the fleetest player amongst even the tortoises of the guitar world. I also use the mellow playing / creating as a bit of medicinal help to soothe away stress.
That's the 1996 Epiphone Sorrento you're talking about I guess - I can understand your looking forward to its arrival. I've been so taken with the combination of P90 sound in a hollow bodyguitar. And P90s can be really sweet too, though demos do tend to concentrate on the other end of the spectrum.
I also am encouraged hearing common factors in your style of playing. Maybe a bit of PG influence has rubbed off on both of us.
...........................................................................................................
Anyone have any technical pointers on what the BT does when it shifts / modulates key / mode at:-
0:59-1:11 then 1:11-1.22
1.45-1.55 then 1.55-2:06
2.31-2.41 then 2.42-2.52
I'm glad it does whatever it is at those points as the improv was much easier to structure at those points - which is where my "theme" lives on this piece.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VB, Try listening to some of this stuff......

Kayak.

AxkVirwLk58 (bad quality recording thoug.... I LOVE this song... (sst and play it )

If you didn't know Kayak (I doubt it), you just might know this one :

FLUDwUo0liI :tears:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I'd forgotten I saw your post at work several days ago - where I can't listen to audio or see video.

Guitar palying with an emphasis on tune and melody - I approve. Thanks for the heads up on Kayak HBL. :thumbsup:

You're right - I hadn't heard of them. Still - I see they've only done 17 albums.

I'm intrigued - will be doing some research. :D
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:Anyone have any technical pointers on what the BT does when it shifts / modulates key / mode at:-
0:59-1:11 then 1:11-1.22
1.45-1.55 then 1.55-2:06
2.31-2.41 then 2.42-2.52
I'm glad it does whatever it is at those points as the improv was much easier to structure at those points - which is where my "theme" lives on this piece.
I've been trying to work out some sense of what happens on this piece. :icon_whoknows:

It starts with just alternating G & C chords, and It sounds like the B is not being used on the G chord (say 3 x 0 0 3 3). That fits great with Em pentatonic with Aeolian mode suggested by the C. The Aeolian idea is confirmed by an Am (which also has a C) following the C chord. E minor pentatonic Aeolian also proves useful when the D7 chord then comes as Aeolian can accomodate the F# note.

I noticed in passing that I'd moved to the C note at the 13th fret on the second string instinctively when the D7 arrived.

Things then get a bit more complex - I think it's a Gm chord, followed maybe by EbMaj7, followed by D7. The Gm has G and D (both OK in E scale) but also Bb. If the EbMaj7 is played as x x 1 3 3 3 then it also has G, D and Bb, but with a different root note and also throwing in that Eb of course. The Bb is the blues note of the Em pentatonic which might be handy. Again I note I played by instinct the Bb at the 11th fret of the 2nd string at the point these chords arrived.

As for the Eb it's almost like it's gone major scale or something with that EbMaj7 chord, but as I say I'm not at all sure it is that chord. AAAARRGH!. :yikes:

My ears at least seem to be working even if my brain has trouble understanding it. And on the plus side it's the notes I play at this point some of which are outside the Em pentatonic (in any form) that gives the melody one of it's main "hooks" in the piece. :D

Now I'll go and lie down in a darkened room - my brain hurts! :wall:

I'm only interested in the anlysis really as a double check that I'm doing the right things - I can't apply theory to what I do as I'm physically playing - it gets in the way of the creative process for me (must be different sides of the brain). But who knows - hopefully some of the above gibbering might be of use to anyone else trying the BT.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Wow....!!!! some awesome playing on these tracks. Very inspirational and makes you want to play. Thanks for posting this backing track. Thought I would throw a version in the mix. Some missed bends, string noise, and clunker notes.......but hey? :music

download/file.php?id=1149

An alternate late night cut ( I fear the wine induced this one)!

download/file.php?id=1151
Last edited by tytlblues on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

tytlblues wrote:Wow....!!!! some awesome playing on these tracks. Very inspirational and makes you want to play. Thanks for posting this backing track. Thought I would throw a version in the mix. Some missed bends, string noise, and clunker notes.......but hey? :music

download/file.php?id=1149
Oh well - after a funny problem with file doesn't exist and no response from the in-forum player I'm glad I perservered and got it to work.

This is a fine version indeed - beautifully controlled dynamics and full of restrained emotion - very soulful indeed! :pray: :clap:

Is this a Strat by any chance? :icon_whoknows:

You're right - it IS a really great backing track - HalfBlindLefty has a knack of ferreting out good ones as you'll find if you dig around on the forum. Those backing tracks that make your brian and fingers start to itch when you first hear them and you have to grab a guitar. :big_smile:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Thanks Viking for the compliment! It is a Mexican Strat, Fender 69 custom pickups, recorded into a small Tascam USB interface and then into Garage Band. Just a bit of echo and reverb. No amp model....just clean.
Tytlblues

BB King
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

:tears: You guys have been setting the bar so high on this one that I thought there's just no way I can hope to play as well. Hard to find these weird chords in open tuning.
So I thought I'd slide under the bar with this one. Squier Tele Affinity thru Harmony H400A with DOD clean overdrive, Digiverb, and attenuater at 9 O'clock. Recorded with Audacity with no eq.

Kinda feel like this anyway... Funny how it seems to make it easier to play. Hope it doesn't hurt. :tears:

The Harmony now lives in a Pro Junior cabinet btw.

download/file.php?id=1163
Attachments

gravity BT.mp3 - (4.87 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

A great addition to the 12bar collection of improvs on this one oneeyedslide! Very nicely played - with lots of mood and beautiful tone too. :clap: :clap:
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

VikingBlues wrote:A great addition to the 12bar collection of improvs on this one oneeyedslide! Very nicely played - with lots of mood and beautiful tone too. :clap: :clap:

Could not have said it better.....whole new mood going on here with this song now. Love the way your melody flows, and sweet tone. I did not know there was so much slide playing going here. :wave:
Tytlblues

BB King
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

oneeyedslide wrote::tears: You guys have been setting the bar so high on this one that I thought there's just no way I can hope to play as well. Hard to find these weird chords in open tuning.
So I thought I'd slide under the bar with this one. Squier Tele Affinity thru Harmony H400A with DOD clean overdrive, Digiverb, and attenuater at 9 O'clock. Recorded with Audacity with no eq.

Kinda feel like this anyway... Funny how it seems to make it easier to play. Hope it doesn't hurt. :tears:

The Harmony now lives in a Pro Junior cabinet btw.

download/file.php?id=1163
Bars to high.... nope, don't think so. Sweet playing on your side my one-eyed friend. Mhh maybe we should do a collab sometime and call ourselfs two eyed duo for the occasion. Good job.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

tytlblues wrote:Wow....!!!! some awesome playing on these tracks. Very inspirational and makes you want to play. Thanks for posting this backing track. Thought I would throw a version in the mix. Some missed bends, string noise, and clunker notes.......but hey? :music
I know someone who calls himself "BadBluesPlayer" (grin). He is not, and you most certainly aren't to.
Two good recordings. I enjoyed the listen.
Sweet tones
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

ah, well, euhm... recent activity in this topic made my fingers itch.
Meanwhile I found out that the Avri will stand next to First Lady and won't take over.
She was my first, will be the last and my everything :tears:

She wanted another stab at this track, I had litle time, so I dug out the old recording, renamed the session and wiped my first recorded tracks.

Single pass, the ooops moments stayed in.

:lefty:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10864262

I had Cybie adding a toch of shimmering tremolo and a tiny bit of reverb. Afterwards I added some analogue delay to both mic-ed tracks.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

:motz: BRAVO.......and the bar gets higher! nice job, love the tone........beautiful pictures of your beloved Strats.
Tytlblues

BB King
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Love this one.......

The picture olso, like new and old will come together.....
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

And so the wheel comes full circle on this thread. The First Lady is in FINE VOICE and her tones and the note choice gives an aching yearning quality to the recording which makes for intent hushed listening. I mentally hold my breath waiting for where the next note will go. :clap: :pray: :pray:

The original take you did back in January was so very good but I think this one tops it on the emotive aspect of playing.

It's a while since an HBL rendition has appeared - but it's been so well worth the wait. :thumbsup:

But what an amazing set of improvs we now have on the BT thread - great work everyone!!