buildig a foot stompbox

Upload your backing tracks here
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ElMano

buildig a foot stompbox

Post by ElMano »

I have build a couple of Cigarbox guitars.I also build a Cajon with adjustable strings But when i discover this site i use more time to play and recording music. But now the building fever is coming back. Viking blues did a nice version of Baby what you want me to do, a version with and without drum-computer. 12bar is buzzy to put free traditional songs. Things are coming together in my mind. It would be nice if a couple of use start using the traditional footstompboxes again. It is very simple to build and with a few materials cheap to get it amplified. Making backingtracks yourself is more easy and sounds authentic.

I will build one and get you informed. I found a nice site with a lot of information. So join me and lets build a collection and share solutions to get it Amp'd
how to build footstompboxes
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
ElMano

Re: buildig a foot stompbox

Post by ElMano »

This afternoon i put some old stuff together The speaker is from an very old car-phone set over ten years in a box at the garage. The potentiometer is from an old broken transistor radio from the kids and i found it (the radio) on an treasure-hunt :aha: The jack is from a pedal i blew up once (saved it for this kind of things)

Cigar-boxes do i have more than enough because my other hobby i collected them were ever i find them. So the primary costs so far are less than zero ( Susan is glad that some stuff get out of here view :haha:
I do a test and put the speaker in to a cigar box Connected the jack into the Amp and it give a nice TOK and PLOP with my fingers and foot. The next project is building a couple of boxes I want to experience with a license plate ( have seen it on a YT clip once ) and a adjustable string like a snare drum the same way i did it with the Cajon.
100_5688sb.JPG
100_5688sb.JPG (413.95 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
100_5688sb.JPG
100_5688sb.JPG (413.95 KiB) Viewed 7241 times
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

I continued the work at the stompbox. I start to saw al the pieces, and start thinking ofa solution for the snare sound. I take som weldingdread en placed them inside the box. I take some pictures to explane more than words. The upside cover is placed so that it can move free and is not connected at the sides en i placed three screws to keep it in place. The top is only one screw . I learned that from the building of the Cagon not to fix it to tight and specily not at the corners. I only have to put some carpet onder it because of the noice it make when it hit the ground. I am not sure of the strings inside will work. Maybe it sounds to sharp. But in that case i can remove it easely. I put in the pot meter because i wil use it on the same amp as my guitar so i have to be able to put the sound down.
Attachments
Finished Just have to glue some Carpet under the Box
Finished Just have to glue some Carpet under the Box
100_5698.JPG (18.77 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
All the parts together
All the parts together
100_5697.JPG (24.43 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
Snare expiriment
Snare expiriment
100_5695.JPG (25.01 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
Mounted the pot and the jack in the side
Mounted the pot and the jack in the side
100_5696.JPG (23.35 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
glued the speaker on the top cover
glued the speaker on the top cover
100_5693.JPG (23.38 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
The bottem is thicker
The bottem is thicker
100_5691.JPG (30.07 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
sawing the pieces
sawing the pieces
100_5690.JPG (22.18 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

This is looking really interesting ElMano. :thumbsup:

Of course, as a worshipper of all things John Lee Hooker, I find the stompbox idea appealing. :clap:

Though trying to sing in the style of JLH would be a different kettle of ballgames. :yikes:

Looking forward to seeing more.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!