Sad Dream

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Sad Dream

Post by VikingBlues »

Ever had one of those dreams were the mood on waking is so strong you can't shake it off for a while? I tried to take advantage of this by jotting down words suggested by the dream in the half hour after waking and tried to recapture the mood of that time.

Vocals were written first and fell into place very easily on the first backing track I went to (lucky) - a David Wallimann Backing Track on Jamplay.com. PRS SE on rhythm / first half lead, & self build "Strat" second half. The luck in the easy backing track was balanced by some bad luck - I had to try to be calm as per HBL's recent advice when my Stagg PGT-80 Professional Studio Condenser Mic played up (again) - i think it's got a fault damn it. :wall: So I used a JTS NX-7 General Purpose Instrument Dynamic Mic I have as a backup - but at only just over half the price it's not really in the same league.

The PRS and Strat were through the Vox Tonelab LE direct into the PC (after 11.00 pm so had to be quieter than when I did the vocal earlier) using the Marshall JCM-900 emulation pretty clean with a touch of OD only.

It's the first time in over a weeks holiday that the creative urge has bubbled to the surface. I hope I've caught the mood from my dream OK. The lyrics are at the foot of the soundclick page.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10790849
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Sad Dream

Post by 12bar »

Truly sad - played wonderful. I especially like the second (strat) part - makes you :tears:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Nice job. :clap:
(will listen better and comment more later... kind of busy at the moment :away: )
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Beautiful I dig this muchly.
Good buildup on this one. fine playing and awesome vocals.
I'll listen some more for detailed comments if you'll allow :)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:Truly sad - played wonderful. I especially like the second (strat) part - makes you :tears:
:D Great to hear you say that - nice to know some of the feeling got through OK. The "Strat" is in good voice at the moment - and is helped by my having used it for all the settings I've dome so far on the tonelab LE.
Blindboy & HBL - tbank you for your positive first impressions. I'm grateful for any further detailed comment you can make. :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Don't have time to give it the listen it deserves. I am in the process of moving all my guitars and amps and some other stuff over to DeaconBlues place. If we are still here tomorrow I will check it out better.
(The fire is being very unpredictable right now)
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Very moody. Very dreamlike. Wish I could play like that. Both guitars sound great, Strat 'specially!
losaavedra

Post by losaavedra »

Good piece and indeed sad. Reminds me a bit of Doors (or something by Leonard Cohen!). Preferred the PRS over the strat ... but that's just me! Well done!
Mike
"I feel more like I do now than when I first came on" (Ronnie Scott, Maidstone)
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Nice song VB..... :thumbsup:

Sad, but i like it. so i smile :icon_whoknows: :wink:

@blindboy
Goodluck, I hope it will be just a handle to do and you and your family can quickly return at your old place
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

You did well on the lead :) Relaxing while playing is something you have to learn to do.
In a way the lead has a Mark Knopfler feel, while indeed the singing tend to remind of Leonard Cohen's work.
The Rhythm parts are well played and the song buildup is great.

The reverb has become so signature VB that I'll better give up on fighting it to much. ( I won't forget though) :haha:

A trick I use to record a good lead part and relaxing myself while plaing is:
I select the part of the bt/song I got to play over and copy it to an empty track.
Then I activate audition's looping on the pasted piece and create one long track of multiple repeats of the part.

I deactivate all ather tracks, set a empty track to recording and start playing away for a while.
By the 2nd or 3rd repeat I've forgotten I am recording and let go of things.

Afterwards I select the best part :) :dance:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:You did well on the lead :) Relaxing while playing is something you have to learn to do.
In a way the lead has a Mark Knopfler feel, while indeed the singing tend to remind of Leonard Cohen's work.
The Rhythm parts are well played and the song buildup is great.

The reverb has become so signature VB that I'll better give up on fighting it to much. ( I won't forget though) :haha:

A trick I use to record a good lead part and relaxing myself while plaing is:
I select the part of the bt/song I got to play over and copy it to an empty track.
Then I activate audition's looping on the pasted piece and create one long track of multiple repeats of the part.

I deactivate all ather tracks, set a empty track to recording and start playing away for a while.
By the 2nd or 3rd repeat I've forgotten I am recording and let go of things.

Afterwards I select the best part :) :dance:
Thanks HBL - I welcome anything of a Knopflerish nature showing in my playing. :D

Reverb ... oops! :wink:

I must check out my DAW software to see if I can use a similar feature to what you've described. I can see how it would be a benefit - thanks for this. :thumbsup: