Any Old Git can Play

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Any Old Git can Play

Post by VikingBlues »

Sorry - me again - I'm just enjoying recording with my new gear so much I want to share it. :big_smile: Continuing to try to expand my repertoire from just pentatonic.

I've once before had a go at a "Gypsy Jazz" piece in the Blues Room - "Waltzin' Viking" way back in August last year. So here's attempt number 2.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10715925

Managed to quickly get a decent tone setting on the new Vox Tonelab LE from the "UK Blues" amp setting. Three guitars used - Vintage VSA (neck) then PRS SE Soapbar (neck), then Hagstrom Viking Deluxe (mid), PRS SE (mid), VSA590(Treble), Hagstrom (neck). My parts are the slow lead lines - the rapid fire gypsy jazz stuff is on the Backing Track.

I have only heard a bit of the original "La Gitane" and it's way beyond my understanding. So this is an attempt at Jazzy with no intention by me of trying to play like Django - I can't! :wall:

The notes I was playing seemed to make sense at the time - now after a few hours I'm less sure. I'd be fascinated to hear anyone elses take on it and any comments they might have on what works. It seemed to me that D Aeolian mostly fitted though the extra two Aeolian notes that aren't minor pentatonic needed more emphasis than usual. :icon_whoknows:

La Gitane BT from Jamtracks.ru/en/mpjam_jazz_gypsy.html.
http://www.jamtracks.ru/en/mpjam_jazz_gypsy.html
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
nxsneil

Re: Any Old Git can Play

Post by nxsneil »

Great effort, very enjoyable and easy to listen to :thumbsup:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Someday I aint gonna worry my life anymore....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

That was real nice VB. good notes and phrases and of course tone !
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

nxsneil wrote:Great effort, very enjoyable and easy to listen to :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:That was real nice VB. good notes and phrases and of course tone !
My sincere thanks to both of you. :D

It's quite nice to jump in out of your depth every so often and thrash about with enough success to reach the shore. Less nice if you don't reach the shore of course!

I think I'm pleased a lot that the different guitars do sound different better than any previous recording where I've tried to use multiple guitars. I think it's the Tonelab LE letting more of the guitars own tone through. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!