The Dorian and Ionian Seas

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

The Dorian and Ionian Seas

Post by VikingBlues »

About a fortnight ago I posted up a couple of recordings and mentioned that would be it as far as playing guitar went for a week or two. :sad:

The auditors have gone. :clap: The month end figures are done. :clap:

Unfortunately though I can now get back to playing I've got some severe back muscle pains and issues. Ho hum :angry: - and we know how kind guitars are to backs! Anyway I'm going back to the physiotherapist on Monday for some more work to try to get all the knots out of my muscles. In the meantime i'll continue getting inturupted nights sleep - only made it till 1.30 last night to wake to waves of pain - that was me up for two hours. :wall:

:icon_whoknows: So with having not enough sleep for a week or so this recording I'm posting may be rotten - I have no critical faculties working any more - just staggering round in a daze.

It's a David Wallimann backing track that requires a mix of C Dorian and C Ionian (minor and major). Not really blues - not really rock. Not sure what to decsribe it as. I'm quite enjoying the challenge of BTs that mix up scales and modes a bit - an interesting challenge to anticipate the changes. :think:

download/file.php?id=1001
Hope I've managed to give it some reasonable melodic lines - that was the main aim.
Attachments

Improv over BT C Dorian and C Ionian with Hagstrom
The Dorian and Ionian Seas.mp3 - (3.5 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Re: The Dorian and Ionian Seas

Post by MikeJackal »

Not quite sure what to call it either, has that Arabian feel to it again but a bit more rocky. At the start you seemed like you hadn't been playing much but once it got going the old Viking wizardry kicked in and there was some good stuff going on, I particularly liked the break down in the middle, some good licks in there.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

You're very generous Mike! I had come back to this thread with the intention of deleting it, but found in the meanwhile that you had posted your response. I've been pondering what to say since. :shy:

It's been a lousy weekend for my music (and everything else) - I had hoped for a good one after two weeks of little chance to play. But the music has all been very difficult and uninspired. :wall:

Today's attempts were MUCH worse than yesterdays. At least this one that I posted yesterday had one or two decent parts to it - today it was wall to wall dull - no wrong notes but plenty of wrong note choices if you know what I mean.

I don't know if it's that rust has quickly set in or if it's lack of sleep caused by my back problems taking its toll and ruining my ability to focus and getting into the "zone". Hopefully it's the second of these - if so, hopefully the upcoming visit to the physio tomorrow might help. :icon_whoknows:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

MikeJackal wrote: old Viking wizardry kicked in and there was some good stuff going on, I particularly liked the break down in the middle, some good licks in there.
I agree... :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Blindboy wrote:
MikeJackal wrote: old Viking wizardry kicked in and there was some good stuff going on, I particularly liked the break down in the middle, some good licks in there.
I agree... :thumbsup:
I second BB, well done VB
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you my friends - I appreciate your encouraging words Bb and HBL. :thumbsup:

I'm a bit cheerier tonight at least - the stabbing back pains have now been replaced with the dull ache of bruised and battered muscles - still .... no gain without pain! :big_smile:

I think this BT needs some very precise timing for it to work properly and I'm not sure I was mentally alert enough to keep up the required level of concentration. Think it's one worth revisiting at some point.