The Man Behind the Mask

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blackhorse

The Man Behind the Mask

Post by Blackhorse »

Here's my latest song, I was going for a bit of an Allman Brothers meets Pink Floyd sound, didn't get there but I'm happy with what came out. I think my singing is slowly improving, although this did require 8 or 9 takes on 3 different days before I was happy with it. :wall:

Usual gear, Fruity Loops for drums (used a different snare sound this time), crappy kids bass, Fender strat through a Blues Jr amp, although the first lead break was done with the V-Amp. Crappy USB mike. Hmmm, I need to get some better gear. Although my next gear acquisition will probably be a parlour-sized acoustic guitar.

Hope you enjoy it, comments/criticism welcome as always. It's the only way I'll improve! :icon_whoknows:

download/file.php?id=989
Attachments

Man Behind the Mask.mp3 - (6.41 MiB)

MikeJackal

Re: The Man Behind the Mask

Post by MikeJackal »

I can hear many influences, Floyd, Knopfler, Chris Rea. Well put together and the sound quality is good despite the "crappy usb mic". I enjoyed it but the one thing I was waiting for was for it to kick up a gear in the second solo rather than stay at the steady pace. But ignore me, I'm no expert and couldn't do something this complex so well done.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Aww, Mike. I thought I was finished this one! But that's such a good suggestion, I just might have to try it.

It will be a lot more work, and I'll have to wait until I can crank up the amp a bit...hmm, I have some time off work around Easter, maybe I could do it then.
But yeah, I can hear it now, distortion, power chords, screaming solo... :music2: I was looking for a track to let rip on, didn't think this was the one, but you could be right. Thanks for the idea :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I started listening to this with eager anticipation and can say it lived up to expectations and more. :clap: :clap: :clap:

There's an economy with the texture of the song that works so well with your vocal style - I love the bass runs (how DO you manage to get such good bass out of such an instrument!). There's something organic about the whole thing and it's a well structured song - it really sounds like several musicians merging together and making good music.

The melodic playing is great as are the guitar tones, especially thorugh the Blues Jr amp - effective clean lead playing ain't easy - and melodic guitar harmonies too (nicely done!).

The singing is great - I've been impressed since I first heard your vocals - you have a distinct vocal style that makes it identifiably your singing.

There is something of the Knopfleresque about both your guitar and vocal, without actually sounding like him - I say this in a very complimentary way as Mark Knopfler sits on one huge peak of musical achievements in my eyes.

This is going straight to my hard disk and mp3 player for further playing. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Whooee!!! That's nice! :clap: The whole package is very sweet, composition, playing, singing, and the recording sounds fine too. My only critique (not critisism :naughty: ) would be to agree with Mike... Maybe bump up the dynamics towards the end.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

:clap: :clap: :clap:

VERY nicely done! I didn't even finish listening to it before I added to to my mp3 player.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

For what it's worth,

i like it, The whole package :clap: :clap:

big thumb :thumbsup: up
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Blackhorse wrote:Here's my latest song, I was going for a bit of an Allman Brothers meets Pink Floyd sound, didn't get there but I'm happy with what came out. I think my singing is slowly improving, although this did require 8 or 9 takes on 3 different days before I was happy with it. :wall:

Usual gear, Fruity Loops for drums (used a different snare sound this time), crappy kids bass, Fender strat through a Blues Jr amp, although the first lead break was done with the V-Amp. Crappy USB mike. Hmmm, I need to get some better gear. Although my next gear acquisition will probably be a parlour-sized acoustic guitar.

Hope you enjoy it, comments/criticism welcome as always. It's the only way I'll improve! :icon_whoknows:

download/file.php?id=989
I think it came out more a Knopfler/Pink Floyd mix. In a very good way. :thumbsup:
Great vocals and guitar work. :pray:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Thanks for all the kind words!

I'm considering changing the end, as suggested by Mike and Blindboy. After listening back a few times, I'm not really happy with the tone on the ending solo anyway, it sounds a bit thin. I'm thinking of re-recording the rhythm guitars after the third verse, with a bit of gain to dirty it up, and kicking up he drums to drive it a bit more. Then record a new solo. To do this right, I'll need to crank the amp, so I'll have to wait until I can make some noise... maybe a couple of weeks.

Knopfler is a great guitar player, and a very decent singer, I'm flattered that my efforts remind some of you of him. Vocally I have tried to sing in a similar way to him, because I think that's something that's attainable for me, but his guitar playing is not something I've consciously imitated. I haven't listened to much Dire Straits/Knopfler for a very long time, but I did spend rather too much time listening to the Love Over Gold and Brothers in Arms albums back in the 80s when I should have been doing homework :away: That was before I started playing guitar. I guess something rubbed off!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I don't hear any cheap or crappy gear in this, like the others said it sounds just great! :clap:

Very Knopfler-like, both singing and playing. Thumbs up! :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Hope I'm understanding the rules on the HoF nominations OK - my brain is overburdened and I can't concentrate much recently.

Right - for nominations I'm having tough choices. Particularly where backing tracks are used - so I'll pass on those for the moment.

But one of the easiest candidates to consider - Blackhorse :clap: does his own compositions, so there should be no problem with copyright etc. He is a very strong songwriter, I love his singing style, and his guitar playing and arrangements mean I have a good few of his osngs on my hard-drive and mp3 player. I'd rather listen to his songs than most commercially available songs tbh.

I'll nominate three of the, in my view, most atmospheric and musically satisfying songs. This is one.

:HoF:
choucas09

Post by choucas09 »

Very classy song in all respects. If I'd have done something of this quality I'd be over the moon. I noted the two comments about intensifying the latter part of the track and , while that didn't didn't occur to me independently whilst listening, it is a good suggestion.
tytlblues

Post by tytlblues »

Well, I can not think of anything to add! You have been putting out some really great stuff. And all the comments have been flattering and I whole heartedly agree.

choucas09 wrote:I noted the two comments about intensifying the latter part of the track and , while that didn't didn't occur to me independently whilst listening, it is a good suggestion.
You know, i think I would have to agree, If I had not read the previous posts, I don't think I would have thought the last solo had anything wrong. It is a nice tone, and maybe bring up the solo guitar sound level on that out take solo is all you need.
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Thanks Choucas09 and Tytlblues, just a reminder :whistle: I posted a later version here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1290 in which the whole song, particularly the second solo, was kicked up a notch. I don't think either version really nails the song, but both come close and both are different.

And thanks for the HOF nominations VB, much appreciated. For the record, your Old Men of the Sea should definitely be included, and I see it has been nominated already. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blackhorse wrote:And thanks for the HOF nominations VB, much appreciated.
I liked them a lot Blackhorse so they were an obvious choice. :thumbsup:

Though with the gradual formulation and changing of the way nominations should be done I really don't know if I actually have nominated them or not. :icon_whoknows:

Can't cope with new things anymore - I feel older and more confused by the day. :roll: