Light and Shade

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Light and Shade

Post by VikingBlues »

I guess this will be it for the next week or so. :thumbsdown:

I've got the auditors in at work next week, so I'll be in no fit state for musical creativity in the evenings. :sad: :wall:

I've been trying to take my mind off the annual treat with some guitar :roll:

First the "light" - A Bm Blues - I'm doing sad again - Hagstrom (both pups selected)
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10548679
download/file.php?id=982

and by way of contrast - the "shade" - played to try to get rid of some tension
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10548718
download/file.php?id=983
Hagstrom (both pups selected) -same settings - but not my usual thing you'll notice! :eye_rub:

I think I'll stay in the light. :lol:
Attachments

Go for It Eh - Blues in A
Go For It Eh.mp3 - (3.68 MiB)

This Be Minor Blues
This Be Minor Blues.mp3 - (4.99 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Re: Light and Shade

Post by MikeJackal »

My vote is for "shade", much more fun song to play with for me. But your style of playing probably suits the "light" more...Say didn't I hear that backing track being used for another song around here recently ;).....
Good luck with the auditors.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MikeJackal wrote:My vote is for "shade", much more fun song to play with for me. But your style of playing probably suits the "light" more
Fair call on both counts! :big_smile:
MikeJackal wrote:...Say didn't I hear that backing track being used for another song around here recently ;).....
Thought it sounded familiar. :shy:
MikeJackal wrote:Good luck with the auditors.
Thank you. I thought, many, many years ago when I foolishly started this line of work, that the audit would get easier each year because I would get used to it. Now I know it just gets more frustrating each year because you have to keep covering the same ground and answering the same questions year after year. :wall: :wall: :wall:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

It's taken me a while to get to these... :wall:
Nice job on both of them VB. :thumbsup:
Very interesting to hear your take on the "Shade" piece... I posted one to that bt a while back and talked about the challenge of jumping back and forth from major to minor. I like your version a lot. It is always cool to hear the different treatments people do to the same piece of music.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Blindboy wrote:It's taken me a while to get to these... :wall:
Me too, so many great uploads I didn't have the time to comment. I like the second one, nice uptempo feeling, and great tone. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you for listening and for the poitive comments Blindboy and 12bar - your encouragement is appreciated, especially when I'm stepping out of my comfort zone with uptempo numbers. :D
Blindboy wrote:Very interesting to hear your take on the "Shade" piece... I posted one to that bt a while back and talked about the challenge of jumping back and forth from major to minor. I like your version a lot. It is always cool to hear the different treatments people do to the same piece of music.
I've learned a lot from hearing how other people play on this forum. I had a wee look back there at previous posts but couldn't spot the one you did - any chance you remember which thread it was on - i'd like to hear it.
12bar wrote:so many great uploads I didn't have the time to comment. I like the second one, nice uptempo feeling, and great tone. :thumbsup:
15 posts in the first 7 days of April and 15 posts in the seven days before that!! I've never seen the Blues Room so busy - it's great. :clap:
I thought it was about time I let my Hagstrom off the leash a bit. I would dearly love to be able to let her off the leash properly in the way that the likes of Matt Thorpe does on hs youTube videos. It's a nice blues guitar for sure. I'm gradually getting better at my playing speed and fluency, but boy - it's a long steep hill! :alright:

One day left till the audit is finished. So near but yet so far!!!! :wall: :big_smile:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

VikingBlues wrote:I've learned a lot from hearing how other people play on this forum. I had a wee look back there at previous posts but couldn't spot the one you did - any chance you remember which thread it was on - i'd like to hear it.
It took some looking... eight pages back.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=372
As I said, I quite liked your treatment of this bt. It sounded like you were really getting into it. I'll bet you were having fun while you were playing it. :thumbsup: It's good to hear you stretch this way (and you don't give yourself enough credit on this kind of stuff), it sounds great.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:
VikingBlues wrote:I've learned a lot from hearing how other people play on this forum. I had a wee look back there at previous posts but couldn't spot the one you did - any chance you remember which thread it was on - i'd like to hear it.
It took some looking... eight pages back.
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=372
As I said, I quite liked your treatment of this bt. It sounded like you were really getting into it. I'll bet you were having fun while you were playing it. :thumbsup: It's good to hear you stretch this way (and you don't give yourself enough credit on this kind of stuff), it sounds great.
:thumbsup: Many thanks for your scouring the archives for the link - I recall hearing it now - it is "a generic Freddie King style thing" as you said in that thread and in your version you certainly capture a much more Freddie King type of sound. :clap: He played with metal fingerpicks if I recall and the amps treble cranked right up, so that'll have sharpened up the sound of the humckers on the semi-acoustics he usually seems to be pictured with - your use of the Frankenstrat with its single coils will have helped move closer to that sound I guess.

BTW - you're right - I did manage to get into it when I wa doing the recording :banana: - I find usually with the uptempo numbers I enjoy playing them a good bit more than I enjoy hearing them afterwards!

I've been feeling a bit more convinced by what I played on this recording - partly due to the healing powers of time, and I guess a lot to do with everyones postive comments. It is interesting to hear the two versions back to back - some similarities when you get past the tone aspect, but a lot of interesting contrasts too! I'm slightly embarassed to admit the major / minor thing hadn't even crossed my mind :shy: - at this speed of tempo I find I'm just relying on instinct and hoping that the fingers don't tie themselves in knots or sieze up.
Pena

Post by Pena »

No doubt, for me it's the "shade" version :lefty:
Hagström is really telling what's been happening the past week, and oh'boy does it have a lot to tell :clap:
Exellent VB :thumbsup:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

One of the things I love about guitar playing is when, occasionally, you stop thinking about what you're doing, get "in the zone", when everything you try to pull off works and just sounds great. When your brain takes a back seat, and your fingers take over on their own. There is nothing in the world but the music around you and the guitar in your hands. It doesn't happen to me very often, but it happens every now and then.

The "Light track was really good, great tone and note choice.
But it sounds to me like you were there on the second one. :thumbsup:
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I like them both equally, but for different reasons. :thumbsup:

I like the "Light" for it's easy flowing meter and fluid guitar. :music1: I like the "Shade" for it's upbeat "make-me-wanna-boogie" feel. :banana:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Pena wrote:No doubt, for me it's the "shade" version :lefty:
Hagström is really telling what's been happening the past week, and oh'boy does it have a lot to tell :clap:
Exellent VB :thumbsup:
Pena
Thanks Pena - I'm pleasantly amazed by all these nice comments about the "shade" - maybe I'll need to try and venture on to the dark side more often. :big_smile:
The Hagstrom played well for me - BUT ...... I'd love to get it to do something like this though:-
6vGM-8jG_ds
That's one of the videos that sold the Hagstrom to me as being a good guitar to get. Matt Thorpe ... :pray:
Blackhorse wrote:One of the things I love about guitar playing is when, occasionally, you stop thinking about what you're doing, get "in the zone", when everything you try to pull off works and just sounds great. When your brain takes a back seat, and your fingers take over on their own. There is nothing in the world but the music around you and the guitar in your hands. It doesn't happen to me very often, but it happens every now and then.
I agree so much with this - it makes you fell very much alive and connected - if that feeling could be bottled it would fetch one hell of a price. I was pretty much "really there" as you said during the recording. :dance: It's not dis-similar in some ways to a feeling I very occasionally have had listening to (usually live) music where your head sort of goes slightly swimmy and then all you're conscious of is the music - it's like you're living inside it or like it's a part of you. A Hoochie Coochie Man cover by the Maggie Bell band was the last time that happened to me - it made the evening worth it just for those three minutes.
Blackhorse wrote:The "Light track was really good, great tone and note choice.
DeaconBlues wrote:I like them both equally, but for different reasons. :thumbsup:
I like the "Light" for it's easy flowing meter and fluid guitar. :music1: I like the "Shade" for it's upbeat "make-me-wanna-boogie" feel. :banana:
Thanks to the two of you for giving the "This Be Minor Blues" a thumbs up. :D I was pleased with the tone, fluidity and the way the note choices seemed to work particularly well. This recording was immediately before the "shade" one and I think it helped get me in the zone for the trickier (for me) uptempo work on that.

I was a bit surprised how different the sound of the Hagstrom ended up on the two recordings - no change in pickup selection, volume or tone controls, or amp and fx settings except a slight tweak to treble boost on the uptempo track.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I go for the shade, just because it forces you to play in a different style (grin)
The light is very well played and beautiful, but it's about time you get a couple of new tricks up your sleeve, so The shade it is.

Love them, did I say that yet ?
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:I go for the shade, just because it forces you to play in a different style (grin)
The light is very well played and beautiful, but it's about time you get a couple of new tricks up your sleeve, so The shade it is.

Love them, did I say that yet ?
Ah hah ..... Viking to go into the shade ..... fair enough - I spend a lot of my time in the dark about what I'm doing anyway. :lol: