Synthia Size 4

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Synthia Size 4

Post by VikingBlues »

I had a backing track suggested to me that was a bit out of my usual style.

After a month on and off and 4 seperate recording sessions :wall: attempting to make some sense of it ....
WavingWhiteFlag.gif
WavingWhiteFlag.gif (8.81 KiB) Viewed 9851 times
So here's the last attempt - using the VSA590 with its P90s, and the Hagstrom on rhythm duties. I've gone all semi-acoustic. :thumbsup:

:think: I think this piece needs some soaring, almost screaming lead - but I haven't got the fingers, the skill & style, or the gear for that. So this will just have to do. :roll:

As far as I can tell what we have here is a BT with B Aeolian, with a couple of majot interludes (at around 1:00 and 2:10) of D Dorian (same notes as B Aeolian) with D,A and G chords replacing Bm, G and Em. It seems to work on that basis anyway.

There was a longer playout just on the B Minor chord, but I've cheated by fading it out early. There was also only one major key section - I cheated and added a second, as it gave the stronger melodic idea for me to play - and I think it improved the structure too. :big_smile:

Might be one I go back to and have another go out when I eventually get my rejigged PRS back with its vintage style P90s.

download/file.php?id=980
Attachments

Improv over a BT B Aeolian and D Dorian
Synthia size 4.mp3 - (3.17 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Synthia Size 4

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

:think: Wow, VB who would suggest such a track to you :cool: :lol:

You trow in the towel, but with much honor :pray: :clap:
Well done, your leads and melody fit the track like a glove.
I agree about the screaming lead at a point or 2, but I think you should do that yourseld in a while

Great job, went on to my mp3 player straight away

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you HBL. :D

I'm trying to see a positive spin to the fact that this recording has come out in quite an identifiably "usual" VB style - it might not have anything startling in it (much as i wanted to surprise everyone), but I spent years with absolutely no style of my own and really wanted one. So I have to be happy really. :big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty wrote::think: Wow, VB who would suggest such a track to you :cool: :lol:
Ooooops! :shy: Good point - two little words missing in my first sentence that were supposed to be there .....
VikingBlues wrote:I had a backing track suggested to me that was a bit out of my usual style.
should have read .....
I had a backing track suggested to me by HBL that was a bit out of my usual style.
.......... :lol:
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Beautifull

really

beautifull
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Ron

Post by Ron »

Nice piece of music.

Greet

Ron
Lelystad
:oldie:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Ron - thanks 2WheelsOfBlue. :D
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

As I've envied the last few songs you've done in these unusual styles and having read your comment about a more searing lead part I thought I'd have a play along with your track and see what that sounded like. I dropped it way into the background with lots of reverb and delay to keep with the theme of the track. I'll upload it and see what you think.
Congrats of course on another nicely played piece.
download/file.php?id=985
Attachments

Noodleover.mp3 - (3.23 MiB)

"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Mike. :D
MikeJackal wrote:having read your comment about a more searing lead part I thought I'd have a play along with your track and see what that sounded like. I dropped it way into the background with lots of reverb and delay to keep with the theme of the track. I'll upload it and see what you think.
Yes - very much down those sort of lines I was thinking - good stuff - though it would be at it's best on it's own and in the forground of course. :thumbsup:

I'll send you a PM shortly (hopefully, otherwise fairly soon) if you want to keep your eyes open for it.
ratfinkdan

Post by ratfinkdan »

Good Job Viking Blues, very etheral sounding. I think we all struggle with our own style, I know I am always wrestling with that. You hear all these other players that sound so good and you want to play something that sounds like that but it always seems to come out sounding like me, whats with that! The old story of how Ted Nuggent was watching Eddie Van Halen during a sound check, Eddie went off stage for a moment and Ted wanted to know how he got that tone, He picked up Eddies guitar and start playing, and it sounded just like Ted Nugent!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

VB messaged me saying he had removed some of his lead guitar and did I want to try putting more of the searing lead part to it. So I had a go, I found it very difficult to come up with something that sounded acceptable as I rarely play anything apart from standard blues these days so this was a real challenge.
Of course it was an honour to get to play with VB so I gave it my best shot and here's what I settled on.
download/file.php?id=986
Attachments

Synthasialism4 PartFilled.mp3 - (4.96 MiB)

"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MikeJackal wrote:VB messaged me saying he had removed some of his lead guitar and did I want to try putting more of the searing lead part to it. So I had a go, I found it very difficult to come up with something that sounded acceptable as I rarely play anything apart from standard blues these days so this was a real challenge.
I saw you'd posted this earlier but I've been at work, and i have no access to sound or video links or files there, so I've had to wait several hours to get a listen. :wall:

Wow - that's what I call a contrast Mike!!! I guessed you'd be able to put a VERY different spin on it to me, so I was interested to hear it. There's no chance in hell of me getting those sort of intense sounds - well done indeed. :clap:

It is quite a tricky BT to get to grips with, I found - that's why it took me so long to get to the stage of having what I thought was presentable performance. Doing the minor / major change isn't something I've really worked on yet - I find changes of mode or keys within a mode has been more than enough to occupy my attention recently.
MikeJackal wrote:Of course it was an honour to get to play with VB so I gave it my best shot and here's what I settled on.
:shy: oooh, no don't ... I think you'll find there's less to my playing than meets the eye - one day I'll get found out! :whistle:

ratfinkdan wrote:Good Job Viking Blues, very etheral sounding. I think we all struggle with our own style, I know I am always wrestling with that. You hear all these other players that sound so good and you want to play something that sounds like that but it always seems to come out sounding like me, whats with that! The old story of how Ted Nuggent was watching Eddie Van Halen during a sound check, Eddie went off stage for a moment and Ted wanted to know how he got that tone, He picked up Eddies guitar and start playing, and it sounded just like Ted Nugent!
Thank you rfd. :D

I remember hearing from someone that had been able to try Peter Green's gear - not only did he not sound like Peter Green when he tried to play, he said he sounded much, much worse than he usually did with his own cheap gear. :wall: ....He said then PG took the guitar back from him and the sound was immediately pure Peter Green at it's best. Mind, I remember PG being attributed as saying it wasn't the easiest of Les Pauls to play (apparently partly down to the neck being very wide).
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Excellent job guys... :clap: I like the contrast between tones and styles. I don't know if I could have done anything at all with this BT. Some versatile players here. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"