Slow Mo Me

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Slow Mo Me

Post by VikingBlues »

Improv on a BT by ...... :icon_whoknows: .... David Wallimann :roll: . Yes I'm stuck in Walliamann BT territory. :pray:

It's a mix of Dorian and Aeolian and I like it's shades of colour. This recording started as me playing around with settings and loading up some treble boost, gain, delay and reverb - as you'll hear I seem to have eased them all back to nearer my usual levels - I'm giving the Hagstrom Viking Deluxe a spin. On a practicing level I'm trying every so often to do little runs of notes as smoothly as possible.

I'm using a plastic pick for a change - my fingernails were getting a bit long and I kept delaying trimming them - so when I was shoving some heavier stuff around in the car boot the inevitable happened - and there was just a wee bit of nail damage. :wall:

It seems to have an air of melancholy about it - well doesn't that make a change? :roll:

download/file.php?id=974
Attachments

"Slow Mo Me" - Slow Minor Dorian / Aeolian
Slow Mo Me.mp3 - (2.81 MiB)

Last edited by VikingBlues on Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
DeaconBlues

Re: Slow Mo Me

Post by DeaconBlues »

Taaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssttttttttttyyyyyyy!!!! :pray:

Nice phrasing.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Getting almost a little jazzy in your latest endeavours. I wish I had your dedication to trying new things instead of spending all my time learning more Greeny stuff.
This could have been from a professional instrumental album and I wouldn't have been able to tell that it wasn't by a 25 year experienced session musician.
Good Job.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: :clap:
Sweet! I like this, nice and moody. Good phrasing and note choices, too.
Interesting... I play mostly fingerstyle these days, and I keep my nail as short as possible. I hit the string with the meat of my fingertip, not the nail. It helps me to feel the string. (a bit of a problem with my numb index finger :roll: ) If I used my nails, they would break and snag the strings halfway through the first song. As it is, if I am really jamming, by the end of the night, my picking fingertips are quite tender.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks DB, Mike, Blindboy - appreciate you taking a listen and your comments. :D

Know what you mean about sore fingertps Bb. Part of the reason I try to have a decent bit of nail to use is that using a mixture of nail and flesh gives me more playing time before the pain kicks in. I also like the added variety of tone I get from the mixture. I desperatly need that tone to make up for no speed and a poor knowledge of good "licks".
MikeJackal wrote:Getting almost a little jazzy in your latest endeavours.

I guess it is a bit Jazzy (and perhaps a tad bland but what the hell). The Jazzy edge is nothing new Mike - I started finding my feet in that sort of crossover last August with "Waltz Montagne" when I managed to put a lead on a BT based on an old Django Rheinhart number. It was a bit of dabbling inspired by some recordings by Blindboy on more unusual dance rhythm numbers.

I've found since then that most of what I would think of as my better recordings have had a Jazzy edge.

As I said on my recent thread about my problems with overdriven "Onions":-
"I have this strong mental picture in my head of me in a few years times - and I'm playing an unamplified Jazz Guitar with a rug over my knees!"
This piece is another step down that road. :yikes:
MikeJackal wrote:I wish I had your dedication to trying new things instead of spending all my time learning more Greeny stuff.
Funny that Mike - I've been hearing your Greeny tones recently and been thinking how great it would be to have the perseverance and skill to get such a great playing style and tone that you have. :pray:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

VikingBlues wrote:Funny that Mike - I've been hearing your Greeny tones recently and been thinking how great it would be to have the perseverance and skill to get such a great playing style and tone that you have. :pray:
Well I guess we all want what we don't have...as is the never ending journey of guitar learning.
I've gone even more Greeny lately, I'm in the process of learning Merry Go Round, one of those Greeny tracks that really show off his simple effective playing. It's really deceptive, his playing sounds so simple because of his economic note choices...but when you actually sit down and try to learn the stuff, damn it's complicated.
Only started yesterday and I have the first of four minutes learned so should be ready to record by the weekend hopefully.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

MikeJackal wrote:
VikingBlues wrote: I'm in the process of learning Merry Go Round, one of those Greeny tracks that really show off his simple effective playing. It's really deceptive, his playing sounds so simple because of his economic note choices...but when you actually sit down and try to learn the stuff, damn it's complicated.
Agreed 100% - I've had a go at a few of the FM songs and it's easy to understand the basis of what's played, but as for playing it "right" .... :wall: - part of the difficulty, because of the economic note playing, is you need to hit those notes absolutely right or it's no use. What I find astonishing too is how he had the creative vision to make those note choices in the first place. :pray: