Collab Amazing grace

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Collab Amazing grace

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

For the Collab between Gerd's and my existing recordings scroll waaay down :dance:

Or follow this link for Gerds original recording : viewtopic.php?f=6&t=81#p2438

I found a nice midi track that I "upgraded" by using soundfonts (in stead of the standard midi sounds) while recording it using my 2nd system.
Originally there's a piano playing the lead... that's why I like midi tracks... klick and [mute] :whistle:

Two different appraoches to playing this song.
part one : Trying to make my bends sound a little like slide playing. :lefty:
part two : A more bluesy / gospel feel with some extra HBL sauce added. :wink:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9092752

It's still a work in progress. I still am struggling with the ending sequence and the slidy stuff
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: Amazing grace with a twist

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:I found a nice midi track that I "upgraded" by using soundfonts (in stead of the standard midi sounds) while recording it using my 2nd system.
Originally there's a piano playing the lead... that's why I like midi tracks... klick and [mute] :whistle:

Two different appraoches to playing this song.
part one : Trying to make my bends sound a little like slide playing. :lefty:
part two : A more bluesy / gospel feel with some extra HBL sauce added. :wink:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9092752

It's still a work in progress. I still am struggling with the ending sequence and the slidy stuff
I like the bluesy / gospel feel with some extra HBL sauce arrangement. :clap:

Shows that great skill of the good blues guitarsit to make their guitar solos relate to the vocal line. I'm thinking too that this will be a lot trickier than it sounds - sparse arrangement, slow tempo and your technique and note choice is high profile and has nowhere to hide any of its imperfections. Look forward to hearing updated future version(s). :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Whooo!!! :thumbsup:
Very nice! :clap: When a player (you or others) gets melodic like that, I can only look on in awe and envy. :pray:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys, now I have to finish it I guess ;)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

HBL... I haven't heard everything you have posted on SoundClick, but I believe that that one is the best I have ever heard. I liked it so much I played it over and over, even picked up Co-Co and tried to pick out a few licks. I tried to find some tab on line but nothing seemed to fit and I'm just not good enough to tab it out myself just yet. Is it in the key of E? Mostly box position 1?

By the way... I like the Blues version best also. I guess because it is different from what is expected... and around here... well... we are sort of biased towards Blues sound anyway.

SUPER JOB... thanks.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Thanks guys, now I have to finish it I guess ;)
YES! :clap:
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Nice piece of music HBL .great timing and lovely tone ( as per usual)

Like the way you keep returning to the theme lick ..almost .each time it seems slightly different, but familiar.

There's two especially nice sequences ( for me anyway) at about 1.10-1.20 and 1.55 - 2.15 .................these just seem like really intresting sequences ...but the whole thng is class.
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

VikingBlues wrote:Shows that great skill of the good blues guitarst to make their guitar solos relate to the vocal line. I'm thinking too that this will be a lot trickier than it sounds - sparse arrangement, slow tempo and your technique and note choice is high profile and has nowhere to hide any of its imperfections.
Yeah, I was right saying "a lot trickier than it sounds". Anyone else had a go at playing along with the BT for this. :sad: Trying to stop licks from "House of the Rising Sun" creeping in. :wall: Makes getting the guitar relating to the vocal line even trickier and that's before we get into tone, sustain, perfect bends and slides. Can't wait to hear more from you on this HBL. :pray: :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks a lot folks :)

VB, shall I upload the backing with the original piano lead ? That may make it easier to play around the original vocal lines.
With me the thing is that I actually hear the alternative melodies while playing along.
Also I happen to like the way gospel and some soul music is sung. If you listen to those you probably will recognize things and pinpoint where my playing style has some roots :)
Another thing I do while playing the bluesy lead part is I really dig in to the strings, almost abusing/atacking them. Yet another thing is the thumb from the hand I hold my pick with plays a secret role in working the strings.

I found that the first "slidy" part does miracles for your bending. It's not easy, but it's helping to develop your bending from just a flat bend to bending with expression.
I actually noticed that when I play a song like alone in the crowd I -without thinking about it- change the way I bend a string. sometimes this puzzles me because I start thinking it would be possible for me to spend a couple of days giving a bending workshop/hands-on class. Imagine how much time a good guitarist could spend giving such a workshop. (I would have to analyze my bending first though)

I have been thinking about pressure and tension detecting "things" on a guitars fretboard and strings and then measure what happens when all those different ways of bending strings are performed.....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Golfxzq wrote:HBL... I haven't heard everything you have posted on SoundClick, but I believe that that one is the best I have ever heard. I liked it so much I played it over and over, even picked up Co-Co and tried to pick out a few licks. I tried to find some tab on line but nothing seemed to fit and I'm just not good enough to tab it out myself just yet. Is it in the key of E? Mostly box position 1?

By the way... I like the Blues version best also. I guess because it is different from what is expected... and around here... well... we are sort of biased towards Blues sound anyway.

SUPER JOB... thanks.

Mhh I played it in Am pentatonic... borrowing a note or two from other modulations.
You are right, mostly box 1 & 2
Sorry there is no tab, this is my own interpretation of the song... I could try and see if I can resolve the notes with software mhhh :D
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:
VB, shall I upload the backing with the original piano lead ? That may make it easier to play around the original vocal lines.
Done : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90&start=0 :bb:
Ebm

Post by Ebm »

Very nice Hans! :thumbsup: :clap:

You know me, I like the bluesier sounds the most. But all of it was very nice.

And Amazing Grace is one of my favorite church songs. And Thank you for posting the backing track.

If you have any more of that type song/backing tracks - I would welcome it/them. I still have hope of playing again.

BTW - did you ever get your Epi repaired? You made some great music with it and the Cyber-Twin SE.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:
Done : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=90&start=0 :bb:
Thank you for doing the upload HBL - I've been very busy at work today and haven't had a chance to log in - I would have said Yes please do it if I had. :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:With me the thing is that I actually hear the alternative melodies while playing along.
Also I happen to like the way gospel and some soul music is sung. If you listen to those you probably will recognize things and pinpoint where my playing style has some roots :)
Another thing I do while playing the bluesy lead part is I really dig in to the strings, almost abusing/atacking them. Yet another thing is the thumb from the hand I hold my pick with plays a secret role in working the strings.

I found that the first "slidy" part does miracles for your bending. It's not easy, but it's helping to develop your bending from just a flat bend to bending with expression.
I actually noticed that when I play a song like alone in the crowd I -without thinking about it- change the way I bend a string. sometimes this puzzles me because I start thinking it would be possible for me to spend a couple of days giving a bending workshop/hands-on class. Imagine how much time a good guitarist could spend giving such a workshop. (I would have to analyze my bending first though)

I have been thinking about pressure and tension detecting "things" on a guitars fretboard and strings and then measure what happens when all those different ways of bending strings are performed.....
There's a lot of work and skill involved in getting a good result from bending a note - I guess it's one of those things you can work at it for a lifetime and there's still room for improvement. :roll:

What's throwing me on the choice of notes is that in my head what I think of as the little man who tells me what notes to play starts humming bits from "House of the Rising Sun" instead of "Amazing Grace". Hopefully with the upload with the piano lead I can get him to hear it often enough that he co-operates and starts humming the right tune!! If he doesn't he'll be in trouble. :angry:

I'll listen more carefully to the "slidy" part after reading what you've said about it. Tomorrow will be even busier at work and I have a strong premonition it's going to be a very bad day too, so I might just be needing to lose myself in some music this time tomorrow. :alright:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Can't help but downloaded it and jammed to it - I'll definitely post a version later. Sooooo nice without any copyright problems. Thanks HBL for the BT! :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

FWIW (not a lot!) here's a couple of attempts on the Amazing Grace BT. Unlike HBL who does great justice to the real melody and gets proper variations on it, mine's much more loosely approximate. :roll:

With the Tokai:-
download/file.php?id=74

With the new "Vintage" brand "Tele":-
download/file.php?id=75

Still getting accumstomed to the "Tele" - although it has pretty thorough shielding by the looks of it there is still a bit of "buzz". :sad: Hopefully not too intrusive - I'm not used to the single coil quirks so I'm maybe more aware of it than I need to be. The action needs tweaked a bit yet too - a tad too much neck relief for my liking.

The different guitars and sounds do guide you to different styles and notes though. :icon_whoknows:
Attachments

Say Grace with the "Tele"
GraceNotesTele.mp3 - (2.66 MiB)

Say Grace with the Tokai
GraceNotesTokai.mp3 - (2.66 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sound different but good !
No need to try to play what someone else does... make it your own, as you did

+Kudo's my friend :)

Love the tele's sound !
SJL

Post by SJL »

HBL, great playing. Lots of feeling and superb tone.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks a lot !
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Old thread, I know, but I just found an old audacity file on my hard disk, opened it and it was (long before holiday) the beginning of Amazing grace. Some files seem to be lost, so it's only about a minute. I even forgot that I recorded it. Anyway, I thought I'll share my rather simple approach...

download/file.php?id=222
Attachments

Amazing_piece.mp3 - (1.85 MiB)

HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote:Old thread, I know, but I just found an old audacity file on my hard disk, opened it and it was (long before holiday) the beginning of Amazing grace. Some files seem to be lost, so it's only about a minute. I even forgot that I recorded it. Anyway, I thought I'll share my rather simple approach...

download/file.php?id=222
Gerd, that is soo good, great sound well played.. I'm impressed with the overdriven part... wow that sound fits like a glove !
Very well done.

How about sending me the guitarparts and me creating a collab from both your and my piece ?