First little steps of a Fender strat

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

First little steps of a Fender strat

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I couldn't lay her down for to long, so I kicked my DAW into recording state.
A small exerpt from a whole lot of freakin' and discovering.

With the 3 posotion switch set to the middle-neck position (who needs the 5 position switch [now]) You could mistake her for First Lady, but the sound is a little darker.
The neck pickup gets te ct going to overdrive easy :clap: Just pick with a little more force and whoppa there she starts singing and screaming.

download/file.php?id=922
Attachments

Vintage 62 strat take 1.mp3 - (1.63 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: First little steps of a Fender strat

Post by VikingBlues »

I think there's a great partnership brewing here. :thumbsup:

Even on the headphones from the laptop I can hear the difference in tone to the First Lady - you said "darker" and that is a good description. It's good that there is a difference - it gives you more options and two great alternative guitars which can be chosen to suit the music for a particular recording.

Is there much difference in the feel of the guitar and the way it plays compared to the First Lady?

I admire Fender's commitment to authenticity. Vintage frets and a three way switch for example. A few of the recent Gibson reissues seem to me to have been compromised by their lack of faith in the original product reflected in their upgraded parts and specifications on pickups, neck shapes, etc.

I think we'll be hearing quite a lot more from this duo - I hope so! :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
leftyslim

Post by leftyslim »

:thumbsup:

I've never found my way with the neck/middle position on Stratocasters, and it's the only one I never ever ever use, but you seem to have it down! Also, does the guitar have the vintage style frets on it? I played a '57 reissue a while ago with the vintage frets, and they're great for chords, but bending failed me...
"Ayyyyy ayyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyaaaie yaaaaaaie yaaaaaa, yaaa yyie yaaaaie yyaa yyyaaaa"
L. Staley

"And there is no excuse for boredom. I can read and listen to music. How could I ever be bored?"
J. Cunningham
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :)

I always have loved the in-between switch settings for it's sound.

About the 7,25" neck radius and the vintage fret size. I have no issues with those at all, but remember, my Tokai is a '56/'57 (not sure) strat copy and has those small frets to. I don't know the radius.

I'm used to have a somewhat high string action (not shredding anyway) and I love it for the added tonal quality. So bending is almost too easy for me. No problems with the lower frets while bending at all :dance:

The neck has a different taper compared to the Tokai and feel just a notch thicker close towards the body. I like it though, seems to give me a little more control while playing.

She plays like a dream :lefty:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

l2N7XHTeKsg
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

So you're not only a Gibson guy (I always thought) - you also make a Fender sing (like someone else, too :big_smile: ). Wonderful tone! :clap:

@VB: :lol:
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Congrats HBL!

I found the combination of Fender strat and a (good) Fender amp to be killer.

As for the switches - I find the bridge-only setting a little harsh, the neck-only a little dark, but the in-between positions perfect - neck/middle for mellower lead tones, bridge/middle for a brighter tone.

Happy playing :lol:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

It sounds nice :thumbsup:
A bit different from the Tokai, it sounds chimer to me.

I think the 7.25" radius bend problem often appears when the tremolo is set up flush to the body.
It seems like yours has a floating tremolo set up.
Does the tremolo move up a bit when you bend a string very high (ala Gilmour) ?

Didn't notice the trem moving yet, but if it does, Fender included a extra pair of springs :chicken: that will fix it up (starting with 1 of course)

About the trem body distance :

Jan 15th 2007
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

fantasic sound HBL :thumbsup: :dance:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks Kenworth.

How about some new pics :