I've Got A Mind Collab?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
MikeJackal

I've Got A Mind Collab?

Post by MikeJackal »

I've Got A Mind To Give Up Living is possibly my favourite blues song of all time. It's powerfully sad lyrics and melody brought a tear to my eye the first time I heard it and I have loved it ever since. The first version I heard was B.B. King on Ralph Gleason's Jazz Casual On YouTube which had the brass section playing parts of Chopin's Funeral March at the end of each verse. It was so beautiful how they had managed to fuse blues with classical music.
Then just recently, a couple of years on from first hearing that version I discovered the Fleetwood Mac version with many of us here's hero Peter Green singing and playing lead guitar. I posted it in the "Best Solo Ever" thread as my favourite guitar solo of all time and I stick by that. As I commented then, I have never heard a guitar sound so sad and his playing on that version was beyond phenomenal.
I have searched many times on the internet for a backing track of the song in any version and have had no luck finding one, so I decided I should undertake the project of composing and recording my own version.
Here are my problems:
1. I don't know how to compose a drum track so have used a Lawrence Fritts drum only backing track.
2. I don't play bass so would not be able to create the bass part for this song.
3. I am very ADHD (lazy) and never practice rhythm guitar as much as I should so my rhythm playing is less than adequate.
4. I can't sing particularly well, I'm not terrible but those of you that heard my song "Come Around" will know I have a limited range, but I am willing and would like to sing it.
5. I have no theoretical knowledge of music, I don't know any of the note names, chord names (except the open chords), intervals, etc. I just know how to play the blues, the rest I learn by listening and trying to copy.
I would love anyone to join this project with me and play on this and I would be even more proud if this was a collab.
So if anyone wants to come in on this or has any advice at all on how best to proceed that would more than help.

Of course copyright is an issue so I don't want it to be a direct copy of the Fleetwood Mac version, but the overall feeling and mood of the song will be the same. I have recorded a little demo in the key of B of the sort of thing i mean.
I have been playing with Guitar Rig to find a similar tone to Greeny's and I think I'm pretty close using the programs version of a Fender Deluxe Reverb called "Twang Reverb".
I carried on playing solo after the Intro licks in place of the singing, but I tried to play licks that sounded like singing the song (Gerd's advice in one of his lessons here on the site :D ).

I'll leave it in your capable hands.
download/file.php?id=908
Attachments

I've Got A Mind Demo.mp3 - (3.83 MiB)

"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
12bar
Site Admin

Re: I've Got A Mind Collab?

Post by 12bar »

"Little demo" is an understatement - sounds great and very Greenish! :thumbsup:
If I manage to get some free minutes I'd like to contribute, but I don't have time and chops for a decent backing track. Anyone?
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks Gerd, I'd love for you to be a part of this.
The thing that would help me out the most to start with is the chords used.

For my demo I used Bm-A-G-F#maj playing only the top 4 strings but then I'm stuck.
I was trying to sing along with that sequence and it doesn't fit after the first line.
Obviously being a blues song that's when the song "changes up" as i call it (because i don't know the correct term).

So help with the chords would be a HUGE help for starters
Thanks.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Green's version is in G, chords I found on the net are
Gm,F7,D#7,D
Cm,D7
or
G/F/E#/D X 2
C,G,C,D
Need a guitar in hand to verify...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Nice demo and very nice playing - great tones. :clap:

I'm not a bass player - as will become apparent. But if you're desperate and need to slum it I can have a go at a bass part - but it'll be quite un-bluesy, very unskilled and possibly quite unsuitable :eye_rub: - like this:-download/file.php?id=914
Attachments

Ive Got a Mind Demo - sort of bass added
I've Got A Mind Demo BassAddVB.mp3 - (1.92 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

That's not too bad at all VB! Much better than i could do. My idea was just to play the bottom E string descending with the chords on my guitar which would have sounded far more amateur.
I think the bass part should be very simple like the first 0:09 seconds of your demo. The kind of feel i want to get with the song is...how to explain it..like a funeral procession. The person in the song is so sad that she's left him, he literally wants to die.
Ok VB you should get this reference...in the musical Oliver (the original) when Oliver is working at the funeral home as the kid who walks in front of the procession...imagine them marching along. That's how i imagine the bass part.

Thanks for those chords Gerd but not much help I'm afraid, i said i have no theory knowledge and i really meant it lol. The problem is that the recording of it i am using as a reference is not in standard tuning, i think it's dropped 1/2 step or something.
What i was really aiming it when i asked before, was for the next chords in my sequence of Bm-A-G-F#maj. I presume someone with some musical knowledge will know what chords sound good next and fit in with the feel of the song.

Maybe i'm just biting off more than i can chew :(
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

It doesn't sound like you have no theoretical knowledge :icon_whoknows: , in fact you did pretty well. Do you have a link (youtube?) to the version you like so that I can give it a try?
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

IxgY9eEFiYM
When i worked out those first chords i did it by listening to the song and playing them and looked the names of them up afterwards. The intro chords can be heard quite easily so i could work them out, but then during the verses and solo they are harder to hear and my brain can't distinguish them with all the other noise going on, i hope you will have more of an idea.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

OK, but not before weekend (cause of my :baby: )
:dance:
Pena

Post by Pena »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:IxgY9eEFiYM
When i worked out those first chords i did it by listening to the song and playing them and looked the names of them up afterwards. The intro chords can be heard quite easily so i could work them out, but then during the verses and solo they are harder to hear and my brain can't distinguish them with all the other noise going on, i hope you will have more of an idea.
Now this is blood stopping :pray: :thumbsup:
Thank you :handshake: :clap:
Is it Lynyrd77Skynyrd possible to get the "clean" BT, and if so, can you VB play the bass on it? :drool:
I sure would like to try it, very, very, very gently alone here in my room :lefty:
And your playing Lynyrd77Skynyrd, from all sides it's VERY GOOD, like really listening :clap:
Pena
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks for the comments Pena,
I don't really have a clean BT for it, i just recorded the four chords over a drum track and a quick improv solo to give a first rough idea of the kind of thing i want to create. The only version i saved was the complete demo.
If Gerd can hopefully figure out the rest of the chords then i will get a full rhythm demo recorded once i can competently play it.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:If Gerd can hopefully figure out the rest of the chords
Just started, looks good. Starts Gm - F - D#aug6 but slightly out of tune. Will finish on weekend.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Ok I've made some progress as far as the chord progression goes. I was making a simple mistake which totally threw me off the path of why i couldn't find the link to the second line of the song.
I was playing the arpeggios of each chord twice instead of once as in the original. I did that to give me more time in between chord changes and a longer intro but that's why couldn't work out the link.
So here's what i have so far:
Intro: Bm A G F#maj
Bm A G F#maj Bm Em Bm
I've got a mind.......

Em Bm
I've got a mind.......And go shopping....

Em F#m Bm Em Bm F#maj
To pick me out......And be pronounced....

Recorded another little demo with this chord progression:
download/file.php?id=915
I don't like the F#maj but it's all i have for now.
Attachments

Chord Demo.mp3 - (2.86 MiB)

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

This is the beginning as far as I fiddled it out in Peter's key (Gm, he's a little bit out of tune):

Code: Select all

Intro and 1 st verse until ...and go shopping...

I-------3-----------1--------------------------------------------------------------I
I-----3---3-------1---1----------3-------------2--------------------15~~~-(...)----I
I---3-----------2--------------5---5---------4---4---------14-15-17----------------I
I-5---------5\3----------3---4-------------3-------3----17-------------------------I
I--------------------------5----------5\-4-----------------------------------------I
I----------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
  Gm            F            D#7            D7

I-------3------------3-------------3-----------3-----------3---------3-----------3----I
I-----3---3--------4---4---------3---3-------3---3-------4---4-----4---4-------4---4--I
I---3----------5---------5-----3-------3---3---------5-----------5-------5---5------5-I
I-5---------5----5-----------5-----------5---------5---5-------5-----------5----------I
I-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
I-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------I
Gm             Cm            Gm                      Cm
...and go shopping                              I've got a...

MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Well I've been working on this some more and I believe I've done a rhythm recording that will do as a final take. I think there was probably little interest in this collab before because it wasn't really a song, just an idea. But now i've got something to show hopefully there will be a few more takers. I played the intro already and licks and fills during the verses but apart from that it's blank.
There is 1 solo and 2 verses available should anyone want to sing a verse too, or even sing but don't play.
Here is the official "Song Map":

0:00-0:22 Intro Mike Jackal
0:22-1:23 Verse 1 Mike Jackal
1:23-2:23 Solo 1 HalfBlindLefty
2:23-3:23 Verse 2 *AVAILABLE*
3:23-4:22 Solo 2 12Bar
4:22-5:21 Verse 3 *AVAILABLE*
5:21-END Solo 3 Mike Jackal
download/file.php?id=947

There is also the bass missing, if anyone would like to do that please go ahead. Like i said earlier in the thread, i want the song to be like a funeral procession, that is why i did the rhythm the way i did, to sound like people marching with the coffin. So i think the bass should be very simple, no fancy twiddly bits or jazzing it up.

As for drums....who knows, i don't know if it needs them and if it does, who would want to do them. Not sure if we even have any drummers amongst us. We couldn't use a drum machine because my rhythm is not in time perfectly so it wouldnt match up.

Anyways there it is, i hope there is people who want to join in. If there are several I can always go back and record another version with more solo's but it's 7 minutes as it is.
Attachments

All Over Again Backing.mp3 - (15.43 MiB)

Last edited by MikeJackal on Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey Mike,

I'll pick up solo1 if that's ok with you
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

More than OK, it will be a pleasure to have you join.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

2nd one to me! :banana: :thumbsup:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Great, that's both solo's filled then...I suppose I'll be singing it all then?
I was hoping to fit at least another solo space in, even 2 but unless I up the tempo I think it's going to be too long of a song, what do you think?
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Better two songs played with a different flavor than one getting too long - IMHO.