I've Got A Mind Collab?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Kalle

Re: I've Got A Mind Collab?

Post by Kalle »

Hi Guys
I am interested to try to make a good baseline to the chord structure.
If we can´t find a singer for the two verses , is possible to make one a Sologuitar verse
/Kalle
Tanglewood TW28STE (Shadow P7 EQ system) steelstring Dreadnought
Yamaha RBX 270 bass guitar with Laney DB150 amp.
Yamaha RGX 320 electric guitar with Egnator Tweaker tube amp.
http://www.soundclick.com/kalleinsweden
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Hi Kalle,
That would be great if you would do the bass, like I said before I think simplicity is the way to go with this song.
As I don't have any mastering skills I was planning that we just record our parts on top of the original then pass it on to the next person to record their part. That is unless someone wants to volunteer to put together a final version from the separate parts. So i recorded it at MP3 320 so that we don't lose much audio quality as it goes along.
Once you have got the bass recorded we can start putting the solo's on it.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I've just started playing around with it - see attached 10 seconds. I found this gearbox/toneport setting in the library and I think it fits to the song.

download/file.php?id=953

More will come, but because of the good weather I've started getting more room for my kids out of my house it may take a while...
New roof
New roof
house.jpg (155.79 KiB) Viewed 15776 times
Attachments

Snippet
12bar_snippet.mp3 - (237.04 KiB)

MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Sounds good Gerd, I look forward to a longer demo.
You know in this country the scaffolding you are using for that would be illegal. Quite the little project you have undertaken, hope the nice weather holds out for you.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

After lots of work I sat down yesterday and played my part. Listened to it and deleted it - I need to practice a bit before! Too many errors, too crappy. And still fighting with the Windows 7 / gearbox issue - volume too low.
In the meantime you can do your parts, I'll mix them as soon as I get a decent recording. I don't give up! :oldie:

Unfortunately I now have one hour more time to work on the roof at evening (meaning less time for guitar), cause of the stupid daylight savings time. :wall:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I work construction and I know the toll that it can take on your arms and hands. After a hard days work it is difficult to find the energy to play competently. But I'm sure you'll get there and there's no rush obviously for this to be completed, take your time, practice as much as you want until you record something you are fully happy with. I want this to be a great piece of music so I will be doing the same. I might even re-record the backing track yet, there was some errors in it.
Do you want us to record our solo's by themselves without the backing track then you will mix them all over the top? Not sure if you were volunteering to mix the whole thing but that's what I presumed from what you said.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I think the BT is good enough, changing it may rise timing problems. If it's OK, the easiest one would be that everyone records his part and posts it including BT, then I (or anyone else) will mix it together. :dance:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Ok some progress has been made by myself. I recorded the vocals into Adobe Audition, silenced the humming parts and added some reverb to my voice. I don't think I could sing it much better, my range is limited and this was about the best I can achieve.
So now you guys have something to work with for the feel of the song.
Any feedback is appreciated.
download/file.php?id=970
Attachments

I've Got A Mind With Vocals.mp3 - (15.43 MiB)

12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That's great - you definitely CAN sing! :clap: :pray: :banana:

Took this in a free minute (OK, turned out to be a few more...) to record something that fits a bit to the voice (I hope).
Not too Greeny, I can't get more out of my toneport. I didn't get the excellent smooth but overdriven sound of MJ, it's a bit too sharp, but still OK for me.
Added some notes from outside the minor pentatonic, hope it works.

download/file.php?id=972
Attachments

12bar's contribution.
12bar_1st_try.mp3 - (1.87 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I really like where you guys are going with this guys - there's some beautiful sounds going on. :clap: :clap:

And I agree - you can sing Mike. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks guys, I'm glad your ears aren't bleeding. When I was editing the voice in Audition it was really thin sounding and crackly in places but after I silenced all the parts between lines, normalised it and added some reverb it really sounded a lot better. While I was doing all that I saw an option that said....Auto Pitch Correction...You know that thing that 90% of singers use these days. I didn't use it in the end, the blues is a warts and all music so I stuck with what I have.

Gerd, I agree with you about the sharpness, maybe a teeny weeny bit sharp, but that may not be a bad thing. The song is about a crippling depression brought on by her leaving and the wish for death, quite a harsh idea in itself so a sharper solo might spice things up a bit.
Your playing was great though, exactly what the song needs. All I basically do is minor pentatonic too with a few colour notes added in, I don't know what scale they are from, some are Aeolian but the others.......who knows.

Not heard much from HBL, how you getting on Hans? Busy with your window of your eyes song I presume :)
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

MikeJackal wrote:Auto Pitch Correction...You know that thing that 90% of singers use these days. I didn't use it in the end, the blues is a warts and all music so I stuck with what I have.
Wise words :thumbsup: !

BTW - we shouldn't use the original lyrics word for word (for copyright reasons)...
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I don't think I did use the exact words, I sang it from memory from the B.B and Greeny versions so there will be some slight differences. But given that the whole layout of the song is the same anyways aren't we already infringing?
To be honest it took me quite a while to sing the whole thing well and to do all the editing so I really don't want to have to sing it again with different lyrics. If your worried about the site I will upload it somewhere else and link it to here rather than you hosting it directly, I've already broken the copyright laws and such with the years of downloading I've done, thousands of gigabytes so I don't think one more will make much difference to my punishment :D.
I bet if I asked B.B. King if our small group of humble dudes could sing one of his songs that we put together ourselves in the feeble attempt at getting to be 0.5% of the blues man that he is....I'm sure he wouldn't mind. Not sure the music companies would agree though. But given our endeavours are purely non profit I can't see legal action coming any time soon
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Neither BB nor Peter wouldn't mind, it's always the musical rights company who cares about. I'm a bit cautious because I've paid some bucks (not 12bar.de, another site of mine), and although I was right and I should win (it was just a link on my site!), I just couldn't risk to lose a lawsuit.

In our case we should leave it as it is, except maybe the title, which is easy to change, so that search engines won't find it. I know this sounds a bit overacted, but the big companies don't get much money from selling CD's anymore, so they're searching other ways. I've heard strange things from other webmasters...

Anyway, so far it sounds great!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Ok I agree that a name change would be a good idea, I'm not sure what to though.
Can't be Tombstone Blues, that's a Bob Dylan song...There's a Bessie Smith song with a similar title to this too.
I'll let you decide and change it to what you like.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi guys
I have started to work on bass line for this song.
The Fleetwood Mac version has a very limited bass line , nearly only marking the chords.
This BB King version has a much more accentuated bass line
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrxnB88l ... re=related
And BB´s guitar playing is not bad...
/Kalle
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Kalle wrote:And BB´s guitar playing is not bad...
Not bad indeed!!!!!!!
Another truly great live rendition of this song, even without singing it still keeps it's mood and feeling, the sign of a truly great song.
If you can get the bass to sound like that then I'll be completely happy, simple yet interesting. You obviously have a better ear than me for a good bass line so I will leave it in your hands and trust you with it.
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi Mike
I have downloaded this video (.mp4) and converted it to a .mp3 audio file and then transposed the pitch from G#m to Bm and saved it as a.mp3 file.
All done with the latest version of the free SW Audacity .
This makes it much easier to analyse the bass line .
If you want it email you the "Bm" .mp3 file
/Kalle
Kalle

Post by Kalle »

Hi everybody
Here is a mix with vocal and added bass line
download/file.php?id=984
/Kalle
Attachments

I've Got A Mind mix with vocal and bass.mp3 - (9.39 MiB)

MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Wonderful Kalle, just what the song needed. It was really lacking some bottom end and this has filled the gap nicely.
Apologies for the difficult task you must have had playing in time with my rhythm playing. I'm not the best person at sticking to the exact beat and I was playing it without a metronome or any drums to guide me.