The Old Man of the Sea Collab Video Updated

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

The Old Man of the Sea Collab Video Updated

Post by VikingBlues »

Hey guys :wave: . Some of the longer serving members here may recall 360 days ago a collaboration appeared in the old forums blues room - "The Old Man of the Sea" - a joint venture by myself and HBL.

Hans has been VERY busy recently but has managed to squeeze in a proper production job of the video to go with the collaboration. (Some of you may remember an earlier video Hans did with still pictures only). If you care to watch the new video in YouTube you can go 1080HD and full screen.

Some background for those of you who are more recent arrivals or maybe to refresh memories:-

In Feb 2010 HBL posted a backing track and suggested it to me as a good vehicle for a guitar piece. What he wasn't expecting (neither was I) that I should end up posting my first recording where the unfortunate forum members would be exposed to my vocals - it had been around two years since I'd done any singing - I was trying to go for a sort of Rick Wright sound. The music in the first couple of minutes of the video is quite "musique concrete" (aka unmusical), but stick with it and normal tonal service is eventually resumed at around 01:50. I have tried to capture a flavour of maybe the more experimental earlier Floyd in the first part - I couldn't think how else to fit in with the very "orchestral" sounds and musical structure of the BT. :icon_whoknows:

I'm still not sure how the whole thing came into being - it was like forces outwith my control were helping. I would never have considered the BT - particularly as the first part was so outwith my normal musical scope. HBL has a knack of steering things at me that stretch me musically. When I listened to the second more conventional part I was reminded for some reason of a poem by my wife Sandra - given that it must have been at least a year since I'd seen it I don't know how that happened. When I got hold of a copy of the poem and looked at the words while listening to the music, not only did the rhythm of the words fit perfectly but also the whole structure of the verses and instrumental breaks fitted with the BT exactly too. Then when I started to play around with the first part and had to disguise the tune on the BT (re copyright) I tried for the first time ever to use a vocoder fx on my DAW on a BT - almost the first setting I tried came up with a bubbling effect that was so appropriate with the water / sea motif of the song. The key of the BT fitted for my limited vocal range too. Far too many things worked out to be a coincidence - it was like it was meant to be. HBL heard my version - he asked if he could add some guitar to it. I was so pleased by what I was hearing in his early draft suggestions for his guitar part and I saw he was taking the song to a new level - I was more than happy that in the main "song" part of the piece apart from my introductory guitar solo and rhythm guitar in the background all the lead playing became HBLs. He, and his "First Lady" captured the sounds of the sea - quite how a guitar can do this - well he's a damn fine guitar player of course. :clap: :clap:

I think the poem was wanting to be heard - the words are wonderful. :pray:

I must express my huge gratitude to Hans for all his involvement in this project. :clap: :clap: :clap:

rR4_4Rtpp2s
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Re: The Old Man of the Sea Collab Video Updated

Post by Strummer07 »

Wow !!

well done both ...............what a piece of work!! :thumbsup:
Great listening and super watching ............you guys are 'out of the closet' !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

I really enjoyed the collaboration the first time around, but this video is AWESOME !!!

VERY VERY VERY nice job, you two !!!
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

:beer:

That was a very professional quality effort, gentlemen, and a very well written piece of poetry by Ms. VB.
Well done, indeed!
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Many thanks Strummer, LzyBlue, Deacon. :thumbsup:

It was a really enjoyable collaboration - HBL (who started me on it and finished it so beautifully), Sandra, me, and an unkown entity that took charge of the creative process when it was in my hands. A real "one-off" I think.

I do notice I was thinner, and had blacker hair back in early 2010. :alright: Oh Well - that's the trouble with video, with sound recording no-one can see the wrinkles.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I concur very professional, nice use of the video clips to set the scene to the poetic lyrics.
Your style of singing suits this song too, would have been easy to over do it but your laid back approach is spot on.
And it goes without saying both of your guitar parts prove what accomplished players you are.
A first class effort finished off nicely with a well produced video.
Makes me want to embark on a collab of this stature.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Wow, thanks But VB tends to forget his own awesome job on the song. I only had to follow and put some stuff in a video. That's quite easy
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

What a great job by the three of you... VB, HBL, and Sandra. It's amazing how this has come together, I loved the haunting tune the first time and it is even better with this video. AND... what a wonderful advertisement for 12Bar!!!
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Wow! :pray: :pray: :clap:
This was killer the first time around... Even better now. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm speechless - that's such a great work! :pray:
The unique voice fitting the lyrics, the guitar playing, the movie - I can listen for hours.

:clap: :clap: :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :D glad you like it a little :)

Great to see you back on line Gerd, hope you're feeling better after your 2nd flu attack
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Blindboy and Golfxzq - I agree that this version has big improvements with this new production. There is a real kick for me in the references to the sea and gulls in the lyrics being taken up by the moving pictures of these and by HBL somehow transforming the notes from his "First Lady" into the sounds of the sea. It heightens the mood and intensity so much. :thumbsup:
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:I concur very professional, nice use of the video clips to set the scene to the poetic lyrics.
Your style of singing suits this song too, would have been easy to over do it but your laid back approach is spot on.
And it goes without saying both of your guitar parts prove what accomplished players you are.
A first class effort finished off nicely with a well produced video.
Laid back is all I can do, so it was fortunate that the song required this approach. :big_smile:
I still remember hearing HBLs initial drafts of ideas that he might use for his guitar parts and I can still remember my growing excitement about how much this was going to polish off the piece and take it to the next level. The video production shows the same high quality of workmanship and quite possibly takes it up yet another level.
Golfxzq wrote:AND... what a wonderful advertisement for 12Bar!!!
12bar wrote:I'm speechless - that's such a great work! :pray:
The unique voice fitting the lyrics, the guitar playing, the movie - I can listen for hours.
:clap: :clap: :clap:
If, as Golfxzq says, it is "a wonderful advertisement for 12bar" I'm so pleased that the creator of our second home who works so hard at keeping this blues paradise running for us all likes it so much. If it wasn't for Gerd and the 12bar site this video wouldn't exist and there's no way I would have been capable of trying to play and record something of this nature. :clap: :clap: :clap: :pray: :pray: :pray: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Great to see you back on line Gerd, hope you're feeling better after your 2nd flu attack
A sentiment and a wish shared by us all.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I will like to nominate this song for the :HoF:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....