A Tribute To Gary Moore

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
MikeJackal

A Tribute To Gary Moore

Post by MikeJackal »

Gary Moore is one of my guitar hero's and his passing was very sad for me. I wanted to record a tribute to him in his playing style. Obviously Gary was a master of the guitar unlike me, I am still quite new to the guitar world compared to him, but i have learnt so much from listening to his music that I wanted to express some of the sadness I feel.
I tried to incorporate some of his famous licks into the song as I played, I'd be interested to know if you guys will spot them and point them out.

Getting to be a regular thing me posting songs and I must say I'm enjoying it a lot, so thank you all for your kind comments.

Mike Jackal - A Tribute To Gary Moore
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: A Tribute To Gary Moore

Post by VikingBlues »

:clap: To my ears you've been successful in not only playing in a style very like Gary Moore, but your lead is very successful as a tribute with a very strong edge of sadness. :tears:

I'm afraid I'm not enough of a Gary Moore listener to pick out specifics. I'll need to leave that to other forum members.

I have "Blues for Greeny" and "Still Got the Blues", but other than that it's only YouTube clips I've seen and what i can remember from the radio. I remember Thin Lizzy when Gary Moore was with them on a live sesssion with a few tracks from an album that was not yet made - and I remember being bowled over by them. I also remember when the album came out some time later Gary Moore had left them and it was new personnal on the album guitarwise - the tracks on the album were good but were nowhere near as good to my ears as they'd been with Gary Moore on John Peel. Parisienne Walkways remains for me one of the most highly emotionally charge pieces of guitar playing I've heard with a great "hook" line - and such a big range of dynamics, and the famous long note - the live video on YouTube of Gary Moore doinng this will Phil lynott is superb.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Beautifull played :clap:
I also love GM, but also to late discoverd and not mut lisend to a song, i meen hy has so many songs and i think i have lisend 3/4 of it.

I also like you tone, it great, can you tell what your setting are?

I remmember the long tone like you did, its something GM also did, some like for minuts long......
Also his playing white other artiest, is a beautifull spel if you see them play, like BB King and many others.

It was a master in guitar playing in that style, yes i'm sure there is no other.
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Very well done,
Great guitar sound (add a tad more sustain and it's perfect) great phrases.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks everyone, I know it wasn't perfect but I'd done 30 takes already and this was the one with the least mistakes so I just decided it was the final take.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:Great guitar sound (add a tad more sustain and it's perfect)
Yeah I know it died on me a couple of times, that's because I'm using Guitar Rig and the high gain sounds give a lot of buzz so i have to use the noise gate higher than I'd like to. I've tried lots of things to get more sustain out of it but nothing seems to work where i still get a good tone out of it. Any suggestions?
2WheelsOfBlues wrote:I also like you tone, it great, can you tell what your setting are?
It's Guitar Rig 4 using the Tweedman Amp (Bright Vol.12, Normal Vol.8, Bass Vol.4, Middle Vol.10, Treble Vol.12, Presence Vol.12) Matched Tweedman Cab and a Spring Reverb all set at about 12 o'clock.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote: It's Guitar Rig 4 using the Tweedman Amp (Bright Vol.12, Normal Vol.8, Bass Vol.4, Middle Vol.10, Treble Vol.12, Presence Vol.12) Matched Tweedman Cab and a Spring Reverb all set at about 12 o'clock.
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....