Come Around (First Song I Ever Recorded)

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
MikeJackal

Come Around (First Song I Ever Recorded)

Post by MikeJackal »

Well i wasn't sure whether to share this one or not. The date was 23rd September 2008, i had been playing guitar for 10 months, my recording methods were crude and my playing and equipment was much the same way. This was the first full song i ever wrote, played and sang. I actually have not recorded any singing since as i have not found a good way of doing it with my computers basic soundcard (It seems to add a noise cancelling that cancels out my singing making it too quiet then all of a sudden too loud).
I really do want to record some singing but i just don't have the gear to do it, anyways here it is
Mike Jackal - Come Around an original composition (Lead Guitar, Rhythm Guitar & Singing) As you can see my playing was very basic and I didn't have too many licks in my library at the time. Still i am proud of it and what i achieved after 10 months of dedicated practice.

P.S. Mike Jackal is my stage name and online name on various other places. And i'm not sure why it wont add as the player instead of download.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blackhorse

Re: Come Around (First Song I Ever Recorded)

Post by Blackhorse »

Sounds fine to me, nothing wrong with that at all! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Nice lyrics and vocals, tasteful guitar playing - that 3rd solo/lead break really rocked!

You had only been playing 10 months when you recorded this? I'm stunned :yikes:

You really don't need much gear to record - a mike (usb mikes are cheap and not very good, but they do the job), and some mixing software (I think Audacity is still free). If you're using a backing track, that's all you need to get started.

To create a song from scratch you'll need a drum sequencer, assuming you're not playing drums!

To improve things, a good quality sound card and a good microphone will make a difference, but they are not essential to get started.
Using an amp modeller like a Pod can take a lot of hassle out of recording guitar, the results are very good but not quite perfect imo, and I use a modeller myself sometimes.

Looking forward to hearing more from you :beer:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I tip my hat - no, hell, I raise my hat in your direction. To manage this after 10 months is quite something. :clap:

To advance further to where you are now after only another 2 1/2 years is really excellent going. :clap:

I sympathise with the recording equipment thing - I have some old recording done on a four track cassette recorder ... hmmm ... rough!!!! :yikes:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

10 months and playing like this...... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Guitar is on the left and the rest is stereo, but great singing and laying :clap: :clap:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....