Last Strat Blues

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
MikeJackal

Last Strat Blues

Post by MikeJackal »

I decided to sell my Squier Strat as punishment for spending too much on my Epiphone Sorrento which is on it's way. I bought her in 2008 on Ebay for £50 (a bargain I'm sure you'll agree) and sold her at the weekend on Ebay for £73. I have had two years of joy playing her and I also made a nice profit so I'm pleased about that.
I have great difficulty letting things go and attach to things sentimentally to a point which is probably less than healthy lol. So i wanted to record one last song with her before she was gone forever, I will be wrapping her up ready for shipping after I've posted this.
I felt a great sadness while playing and I hope this is reflected in the song. I know a lot of you will have had to sell a guitar out of necessity rather than wanting to so I know you share my pain.
The backing track is one I just got from the Kjell Karlsson Blues Collection
I call it Last Strat Blues
download/file.php?id=887
DSC00623.JPG
DSC00623.JPG (143.77 KiB) Viewed 14326 times
Attachments

Last Strat Blues.mp3 - (2.93 MiB)

"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Re: Last Strat Blues

Post by VikingBlues »

You've combined to make quite a mournful recording there. Would be great tones for a guitar at much more than that price level. There is most definately a PG influence (his later "Strat" era particularly) working away here. Very well played indeed. :clap:

It is difficult sometimes letting a guitar go, particularly if you're still on such good terms as you obviously are. I've felt a bit of pain near 3 years ago letting go a Gibson SG Standard (at the same price as I paid fortunately) which was for a very good cause - vet fees for a wonderful dog who deserved every £ I spent - though sadly the story did not end happily. :tears: I didn't feel much pain at all letting my Tokai LC85 go recently, but I'd fallen out of love with that sound and knew there were lots of players who could play her like a real Les Paul should be played (which I'm not able to do).

I'm trying to stick to a maximum number of electrics now - if one is going to come in then one has to go. It helps to make sure you buy what you really want, and not just on a whim.

Good luck with the Sorrento when it arrives.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I like the choice of backing tracks and your choice of some very tasteful licks on top of those tracks. :beer:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Oh my, and you sold that strat..... :yikes:
Love this song, well played, good note choise and good string control with both hands.
Well done (the playing that is)

Selling your strat..... :naughty:

BTW, is that your face in the guitar ?
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

I now exactly what you are feeling now.... :alright:

I sold also my strat, but after a few month's after a few months I wanted the strat back, i was missing her more then i was thinking.
So i did :D

When i read your story and hear the song i thinking directly to that time, i hope you won't be sorry.
Jeb you are telling a perfect story with this song :clap: :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Selling your strat..... :naughty:

BTW, is that your face in the guitar ?
I know, was a tough decision but I wanted the Sorrento so have to make room for her.
No it must be Jesus in the reflection! Yeah it's me, in my avatar picture that is also me in the middle of Skynyrd.

Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
diegodueselive

Post by diegodueselive »

Hey thats a cool Blues like it very much - and absolutly in rhytm in germany we say a clean playing :clap:

Witch amp do you use and what settings ? :amp:
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thank you Diego,

I use Guitar Rig 4 Software on a custom preset i made using the Jazz Amp and Spring Reverb.
diegodueselive

Post by diegodueselive »

What Hardware do i need to play over Notebook - i mean some ADAPTER to put my guitarcable in and than usb to Computer.

Soory about that question but i made some simple records until now via my old Canon Ixus 60 cam its ok but not the real sound of my hot rod .

Planing to buy myself some soft and hardware what is good and not to expensive.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

OK here is how I do it Guitar > 10w Practice Amp > Line In (Or Microphone) On Computer > ASIO4ALL > Guitar Rig 4

The guitar signal is weak going into the computer so i use a 10w Squier SP-10 practice amp to boost the signal and give it a bit of Fender sound. The basic microphone plug on any computer will usually work just fine. The problem is with any of these software is you get a lot of unwanted noise on high gain settings, clean sounds are perfect but crank up the overdrive and you get lots of hum. Obviously these programs include noise gates so that you can get rid of the unwanted noise while you are not playing and you can't hear it while you are playing.
As for what is not too expensive, Guitar Rig 4 sells for 300 Euros with the foot pedal included.
There are some free amp simulator software programs but i have not found one as good as Guitar Rig 4, plus you can record from directly inside the program using the built in music player/recorder.
diegodueselive

Post by diegodueselive »

Thank you !
D28boy

Post by D28boy »

Hi

really like this post & also the GM Tribute...I'm a returner to the electric after about a 20 year lay off.Just bought a N Series Jap Squier Strat which I'm pleased with. I see you are using software to obtain the sound you want (with great success I would add as well) and filling over a backing track. Would you mind me asking where / how you get those backing tracks as I'd really like a few to practice without having to take the trouble to try & create one myself.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Welcome to 12bar D28, i'm sure you'll find lots of useful information here and have fun at the same time.
Thanks for your nice comments too. To find backing tracks the old google search usually does the trick if you are looking for a specific song. For general blues backing tracks look at:
http://www.guitarbt.com
http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com
http://www.bluesblast.com
http://www.lawrencefritts.com/backingtracks.html
I'm sure some of the other guys will let me know if i forgot any of the obvious ones.
Hope that helps you.

I nearly forgot to say...don't pay for them, there are plenty of free websites out there.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Good selection of sites by Lynyrd there. :thumbsup:

Also maybe try:-
http://www.jamtracks.ru/en/mpjam.html
That page has artist specific BTs. If you go into "Blues Backing Tracks- Misc at the top of the page that takes you to 40 or so general blues BTs.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Thanks VB i was racking my brains for that one because i just downloaded all of the tracks from there again.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I hope you don't regret it :icon_whoknows: it has such a wonderful tone and you seems to be one with her. :thumbsup: