New one - Like The End of a Song

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blackhorse

New one - Like The End of a Song

Post by Blackhorse »

Here's one that I had a little help with. It was mostly recorded last autumn, using my usual Fruity Loops/small bass/Strat/acoustic setup, but I left a big gap in the middle with just bass and drums, and asked a friend to fill it in however he wanted. He's a guitarist primarily, but also likes using sequencers to make electronic music. When the keyboards come in after my solo, that's him on keyboards and guitar ( a very clean-sounding Telecaster). I think the contrast between his style and mine works well, and adds interest to the song.

My singing sounds more "off" than usual on this, I thought it was ok at the time but guess that shows I have improved quite a bit since then. It's not too bad though, I can live with it.

As always, comments/helpful suggestions appreciated. :beer:

download/file.php?id=879
Attachments

02 End of a Song.mp3 - (7.47 MiB)

2WheelsOfBlues

Re: New one - Like The End of a Song

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Sounds great Blackhorse :clap: :clap:

Can you tell a bit more about the settings you are using?
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Not much to tell with this one 2 Wheels, sorry. Acoustic guitars recorded through a mike, electric lead guitar through a Fender Blues Jr similarly miked up, bass through the V-Amp with no amp or cab setting (pre-amp only). I use a lot of treble on the amp (around 10 on the dial), not much Mid (around 4) and bass at around 7. A little bit of dirt to give it a slight edge (master volume very high, gain very low) using the combined Neck/middle pickups on my strat, guitar volume on max.

I add any effects such as reverb, echo or delay when mixing using CoolEdit (very similar to Adobe Audition), any grit or distortion comes straight from the amp (approximate settings above). The muddy, distorted electric rhythm guitar behind the (1st) lead solo was done with the V-Amp, using the Brit Blues preset with a bit of gain, but that guitar is quite low in the mix.

As for the part played by my friend, I know he plays a Fender Tele through a Roland Cube amp, and I think he uses pedals for his effects, but I'm not certain.
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Thanks for replayen :high5:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

An atmospheric song - thanks for posting this Blackhorse. :clap:

I'm continually impressed with players like yourself that can play all the instrumental parts and make it sound so much like an organic, evolved piece you'd normally expect from a combination of different musicians styles and areas of expertise. :thumbsup:

I like the structure to this song. You're right I think in that the contrasting styles of two players has added something.

I don't feel expert enough to comment on vocals - though I found it a pleasure listening to this song and usually when I'm sampling CD tracks I've never heard I stop listening due to the vocals - so you're obviously doing something right for my ears at least if that helps. You do have a distinct vocal style and sense of phrasing that works very well. I look forward to hearing more of your work. :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Thanks VB

There will be more...eventually :rofl:

I don't have anything else written at the moment, I had a few ideas for songs for a bunch of songs and now I've done them. :think:

Back to waiting for inspiration :aha:

I'm currently working on putting together an acoustic set to start gigging with a singer, all covers, classic rock and blues. Neil Young, Clapton, Allman Brothers, Simon and Garfunkel etc. and some classic blues songs like Fishin Blues. Might even throw in a version of Alice's Restaurant, if the audience will indulge us :lol:

So my own songs might take a back seat for a while.
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Blackhorse
this is a really delightful track !!
Only just got around to listening to it ( lost broadband for about 3 + days .. Yuk!!)
and what a real treat !! :thumbsup:

Very skillfully composed and created ......it kinda ebbs and flows like the sea on a beach..and whilst its a long song keeps you both fully engaged and full of anticipation as to where is it going next.

can't fault a thing ......its in my current favorites listing !!

Please don't lay offthe original stuff too long !!
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Very impressive. I fully expect to hear more from you in the way of iTunes downloads. :thumbsup:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Great stuff! It sounds so familiar but i can't put my finger on it, i guess that is the sign of a good song.
The first solo was great i really liked the tone, sort of a SRV playing Little Wing tone.
I would not have been surprised if i had heard this on the radio on not on these forums, would fit right in on BBC Radio 2.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Thanks for the kind words Strummer, DeaconBlues, Lynyrd77Skynyrd.

When I next record something, you'll be the first to know :thumbsup: