Aeolian Video

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Aeolian Video

Post by VikingBlues »

As I've made this video you might as well get to see it - if you can't let friends laugh at you you're in a bad way. :tease:

There's a competition that involves playing over a David Wallimann backing track, but it has to be video. So guess what's taken me getting on for 2 1/2 hours today! :wall: And the recording part was a first take too - less than 4 minutes.

The BT is in E Aeolian with modulation to F# Aeolian. The object of the video was to try to show understanding of the BT and to play something that might be at least to some degree memorable. Hmmmm. :icon_whoknows: I see me looking awkward, but there you are - it's a much bigger creative block for me to have a camera recording me and not just a microphone. The sound of the lead part was recorded on to the PC and synched with the video (eventually) - the sound quality from the camera even with it's external T mic plugged in is very poor.

Vintage VSA590 (can't put it down) through Artec Blues Driver and EHX Nano Holy Grail Reverb and the Vox AC4TV. The tone survived the occasion :thumbsup: even if the playing was stilted.

Mtt-t7YwGc0
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
MikeJackal

Re: Aeolian Video

Post by MikeJackal »

Has a feel of Chris Isaak - Wicked Game, very moody and melodic. Not the normal sort of everyday noodling so much more difficult to improv. something. I like the subtlety of the playing and especially the intense concentration and that "oh crap where i am i going with this next" look on your face. I recognise it because that's a face I have all too often lol.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

VikingBlues i like it very very well/good/perfect. :clap: :clap:

If i record myzelf it goes always rong somehowe.
Songs or riffs i play like a 1000 time, no problem, but wen there's a camera or something alse it's goes rong.

Sow i see a man playing it very very well , like he's doing nothing else.

great sound, nice playing. :thumbsup:
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

I like. You convinced me that you understand the Aeolian scale in this BT. Fits well in the belief of 'sometimes less is better'. That VST590 is a little tone machine!
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

It sounds good and I also find there is some Chris Isaak style and tone :thumbsup:
It sounds like a very interesting training to play on only a given scale, out of the
usual comfort zone.
You did it quite well and the result sounds pretty good!
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thank you everyone - you'r every kind. Two mentions of Chris Isaak and I have to admit knowing the name but I can't place it in a musical context - I'll have to do a YouTube visit.
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:I like the subtlety of the playing and especially the intense concentration and that "oh crap where i am i going with this next" look on your face. I recognise it because that's a face I have all too often lol.
The other thing that you can probably read in the face is the thoughts of "Damn it - if I do a wrong note, I've got to stop the CD player, stop the camera, stop the computer, reset them all and start again". I was sooooo pleased to miss out on any major howlers. :high5:
2WheelsOfBlues wrote:but wen there's a camera or something alse it's goes rong
I was amazed no-one crashed into the room in the middle of it - or that the phone didn't go off!
LzyBlue wrote:You convinced me that you understand the Aeolian scale in this BT
I'm hoping I'll convince David Wallimann too. :icon_whoknows: The Aeolian is my favourite of the minor modes - don't know why because it's the most difficult of the three to remember.
vancouveris wrote:It sounds like a very interesting training to play on only a given scale
It's something David Wallimann is very keen on as a teaching aid. As he is the first teacher to make me understand much at all about modes and scales, I like to try to follow his suggestions. He also makes some very atmospheric backing tracks. :thumbsup:
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi VB!

This does remind me of Chris Issak. A couple of months ago, my friend requested me to play this song for him, so I learned the chords by ear/music, and just improvised to what I thought would be the correct scale.

Turns out that I was playing Aeolian, though at first I thought I was simply playing some sort of Phrygian derivative. Very good!

StratLover2
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

I'm struggling with the minor and major pentatonic, but you're playing in a scale I've only recently heard of. Though, I have heard it without knowing what it was.
James Wilsey(sp?), Chris Isaak's guitar player on "Wicked Game", I'm sure would be impressed also.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

VikingBlues wrote:Thank you everyone - you'r every kind. Two mentions of Chris Isaak and I have to admit knowing the name but I can't place it in a musical context - I'll have to do a YouTube visit.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oaHHrNQVrg
Here you go, great song, Orbison-esque and much the same feel as your song
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Really nice! Beautiful playing, and I love the sound you are getting.
I know no modes... I am still working on playing in major keys. :wall:

We should start a P-90 owners club... They sound so great, especially in a hollowbody/semi hollowbody guitar. :thumbsup:

By the way... I like the way you handle the key changes. Very smooth.
Last edited by Blindboy on Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

I had never heard of the Aeolian scale until today so i read up on it, learnt nothing technical because some jibber jabber about Modes and blah blah different notes and roots and diminishing and... anyway, got to the scale diagram, practised in 1 position for a couple of minutes then recorded this quick clip. So thank you VB, i've learned something new because of you!
download/file.php?id=866
Attachments

Aelian Scale Am.mp3 - (1.27 MiB)

VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Wow - what a lot of posts again - thanks guys. I'm always in need of encouragement to bolster my fragile ego. :thumbsup:
StratLover2 wrote:This does remind me of Chris Issak.
A third mention!
StratLover2 wrote:Turns out that I was playing Aeolian, though at first I thought I was simply playing some sort of Phrygian derivative.
Just one note different between Phrygian and Aeolian but what a huge difference in sound and mood it suggests.
DeaconBlues wrote:I'm struggling with the minor and major pentatonic, but you're playing in a scale I've only recently heard of. .......
James Wilsey(sp?), Chris Isaak's guitar player on "Wicked Game", I'm sure would be impressed also.
I find great difficulty in getting the hang of major pentatonic - I think minor just suits my personality (miserable!) and comes from idolising the likes of Peter Green and Mark Knopfler.
and ... oh! a fourth mention.
Blindboy wrote:I know no modes... I am still working on playing in major keys. :wall:
I just couldn't getthe hang of modes until a guy called David Wallimann did a teaching video that made knowing what notes were in the minor modes so simple that even I could understand it. I've sort of shelved major keys for the moment until I've cracked the minor better.
Blindboy wrote:We should start a P-90 owners club... They sound so great, especially in a hollowbody/semi hollowbody guitar.
I have to agree - I just cannot understand why there are so few guitars arounds with these beautiful sounding pickups in them. And it's a bit of a cheapie I've got too. I'm with you too on the hollowbody / semi hollowbody being particularly good. Though I have been idly wondering about a solid body P90 only to find they're in even shorter supply than the semi / hollow ones. Like the discontinued PRS SE Soapbar. :sad: And why are 99% of demos of P90 guitars flat out distortion? (Like the Gibson SG - can produce great clean / near clean blues tones with either buckers or P90s, but you wouldn't know it from the sound samples on Gibsons website).
Lynyrd77Skynyrd wrote:I had never heard of the Aeolian scale until today so i read up on it, learnt nothing technical because some jibber jabber about Modes and blah blah different notes and roots and diminishing and... anyway, got to the scale diagram, practised in 1 position for a couple of minutes then recorded this quick clip. So thank you VB, i've learned something new because of you!
I'll need to get around to listening later - no access to sound at the moment. Thanks too for posting the YouTube link - I'll hear / see that later too.
Agreed it's best avoiding the technical jibber - it just sends my brain to sleep. :wall:
My revelation :aha: was finding that if you know the minor mode then:-
The Dorian is exactly the same with two additional notes - wherever there are three frets distance between two notes of the pentatonic the dorian notes are one fret below the higher of the two notes. For Phrygian it's one fret above the lower of the two notes. Aeolian is more complicated - one is the fret below the higher one the other the fret above the lower one - so it takes more memory to recall which applies in the different positions. But you can usually guage which it will be by what you hear. I'd seen so much complicated theory about it I was overjoyed to find it so simple! :big_smile: