DeaconBlues improv jam...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

DeaconBlues improv jam...

Post by Blindboy »

During the usual milling around between songs, the other night, Deaconblues started a rhythm riff (I think it was based on a Floyd thing), then the drummer and bass player picked up on it (the bass player was doing a SRV thing), then the keyboard player and I came in. I never did figure out what the actual rhythm was, but it was a fun jam, as we just rode it where it wanted to go.
download/file.php?id=861
It takes us a few minutes to gel, but we do get rolling after a bit. :big_smile:
Attachments

DB's Blues.mp3 - (4.98 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
DeaconBlues

Re: DeaconBlues improv jam...

Post by DeaconBlues »

"I never did figure out what the actual rhythm was, but it was a fun jam, as we just rode it where it wanted to go."

It certainly wasn't for a lack of trying. You did a good job of holding on for the ride. :thumbsup: You had some serious jazz going on there at one point.

It certainly is a lot more bumpy than I remembered it. :think: Wouldn't sound too bad(better anyway), if the first half was just edited out. :icon_whoknows: The drummer and bass player had been subjected to that riff once before, but with some "practice" we as a group might tighten that up and work it into something...someday. :oldie:
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Pretty funky stuff guys, so funky in fact i had to join in myself. I think your right about the riff sounds quite like "Money" at the start.
And no i wouldn't edit out anything, the whole thing builds nicely and sounds so real that you wouldn't get it if you didn't hear the whole thing.
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

It does build well - organically. You've got to have the whole thing to make sense of its roots. And if you let it loop the beginning follows the end with perfect logic, like you've come round a full circle. And funky - yes indeed. :thumbsup:

Blues with a jazzier edge - me likes 'dat - and me likes 'dis performance - a lot. :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

The most world hits are born like this......... :whistle:

It's funny to hear how a song is coming to live, and i think, no i'm sure it's a good song to remember.
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
DeaconBlues

Post by DeaconBlues »

Thanks, guys. It's something I think we can develop as a group. L77S, I'd like to hear your contribution to this tune.

I've always been a big instrumental music fan. Going back to the days of "Rumble", "Tel Star", "Green Onions", and "Albatross". I like a good groove. Floyd's "Money" would have been a great tune even without the lyrics, IMHO.
Last edited by DeaconBlues on Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
That boy ain't right...,

but he's big on the North Sea Coast of Germany.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Darn boy, you guys have made my (string) trigger fingers itch......
Money as a Jam..... Sweet. Hate the original, but this is way... waaaay better.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

Nice organic improv fellas :cool:

had a pseudo-Jazz feel, nice :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks guys... glad you liked it. Maybe we can do something with it. I expect that something else will come up and distract us though... With an open jam situation, with few actual singers, we tend to do a lot of instrumental jams. :roll:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

Nicely done. I too liked the build up.....nice at first....then started tapping my foot.....then keeping rhythm with my hands....then rocking in my chair... !!

Nice jam.....!@!!