Caterpiggle Crawl...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

Caterpiggle Crawl...

Post by Blindboy »

I have been fooling around occasionally, trying to get some fingerpicking skills back. Here is a recent effort. It is a tune my Dad wrote years ago. It has one of the hardest licks I have ever tried to learn. It is a five fret stretch across six strings, then you slide the two notes to the same fret. :yikes: (Index finger on the low E, first fret, pinkie on the fifth fret high E, then slide both simultanously to the third fret. HARD!) Then you walk it back up the way you came.
Anyway, here it is. I don't have it smooth anymore (even with lots of practice :wall: ) but there you have it...
download/file.php?id=40
It is called "Caterpiggle Crawl" (anyone here old enough to catch the Pogo comics reference?)
It is in kind of a reall loose time too. That is deliberate. :big_smile:
It is kind of a Piedmont style Ragtime kind of thing, so it could fall under the Blues umbrella. :away:
Attachments

catterpiggle crawl.mp3 - (2.12 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
LzyBlue

Re: Caterpiggle Crawl...

Post by LzyBlue »

:clap: :clap:

VERY nicely done. After your comments about how about it not being smooth, etc, I was really expecting something not nearly as nice as this. You don't give yourself enough credit. I enjoyed it very much.

:clap: :clap:
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Dude!!! That was awesome!!! Is there any style or instrument that you don't play?

That kind of music seems to have a bit of everything. I hear blues sounds, jazzy chords, rhythm that sounds a bit like ragtime (no, more like stride), a lot of that Piedmont style, some humor, etc. Mostly it's music that makes you nod your head and smile, smile, smile.

Keeping the alternating bass going on 5 and 6, the melody going on 1, 2 and 3 and some middle fill going on 3 and 4 is mind boggling. And I can't do a five fret spread on one string - never mind across six strings. I read once that a player, after years of practice, had a spread across the fingers of his fretting hand that was an inch wider than his strumming hand. Maybe there's hope.

It's possible to listen closely and hear some imperfections in playing but that was just an excellent piece to listen to. Bravo!
Last edited by MojoJim on Tue Apr 27, 2010 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I reckon your "Catterpiggle" crawled with great style there BB. :clap: :clap:

Played with a great sense of timing and rhythm too, and I really liked the tune too - it's a bring a smile to the face piece. I've got it repeating in the background as a write and each time it starts I have a silly grin on my face. :big_smile:

Given the technical difficulties ( a five fret stretch across six strings - get the nurse! :yikes: ) - it has to be a victory when the mood and swing of the piece comes across well - never mind any minor imperfections in individual notes. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
weelie

Post by weelie »

Sounds a bit like Saturday night shuffle, which is a lovely little piece... I have played it based on Eric Lugosch tabs...
http://www.ericlugosch.com/SaturdayNightShuffle-lo.mp3
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

This is great! :clap:
Really nice relaxed steady pickin' - that's not easy. :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

weelie wrote:Sounds a bit like Saturday night shuffle, which is a lovely little piece... I have played it based on Eric Lugosch tabs...
http://www.ericlugosch.com/SaturdayNightShuffle-lo.mp3
Very nice! :clap: Well played.
Have you ever heard Roy Bookbinder's version of that? (I think he calls it "Saturday Night Rag" or something)
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks for all the compliments, fellers :shy:
I used to do a bunch of fingerstyle acoustic and bottleneck stuff about ten years ago, and let the electric stuff slide. Now that I am playing more electric, I tend to let the acoustic stuff slide. Kind of hard (for me, anyway) to stay on top of both styles. There is some crossover, though, I play the electric without a pick at least half the time now. That has changed the way I sound. :music2:
leftyslim

Post by leftyslim »

That was the most fun I've had listening to anything in a long time- thanks Blindboy! :thumbsup: Any tips for trying to learn it (other than "have big hands")?
"Ayyyyy ayyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyaaaie yaaaaaaie yaaaaaa, yaaa yyie yaaaaie yyaa yyyaaaa"
L. Staley

"And there is no excuse for boredom. I can read and listen to music. How could I ever be bored?"
J. Cunningham
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

leftyslim wrote:That was the most fun I've had listening to anything in a long time- thanks Blindboy! :thumbsup: Any tips for trying to learn it (other than "have big hands")?
Thank you... I am flattered by your interest.
It's an alternating bass thing, C to F, then E to Am, then Am, D, G#, G. Then it repeats and goes to the lick described above. I will see about tabbing it out, but it will be a while. I haven't done much tab and this will be a VERY busy weekend for me.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

BB, you're the man. Just gotta love this one.
Very well played, sweet song btw :)

Reminds me, Breda's Old style Jazz event is coming up in a week or 2 :chicken:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Bluez2move

Post by Bluez2move »

Good pickin' BB :music1:

That's another skill
I need 2 work on :roll:

Nice one :thumbsup:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:BB, you're the man. Just gotta love this one.
Very well played, sweet song btw :)
Thanks, glad you like it. :D
Bluez2move wrote:Good pickin' BB :music1:

That's another skill
I need 2 work on :roll:

Nice one :thumbsup:
Thank you...
It's not really that hard (nothing I do is very hard :roll: ), just takes some time.