The VSA Voice

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

The VSA Voice

Post by VikingBlues »

:big_smile: I think I'm maybe finding the VSA590s voice.

This is a work in progress which I think I'll work at - but although flawed I'm interested to know if the tone is sounding at all right. I could play it better with fewer mistakes and mistimed notes and a bit more structure, but I'm dog-tired, and the next few days won't see that getting any better. :wall:

I've hardly even tweaked any DAW settings, so it's very nearly what came out of the amp via the Nano Reverb and a touch of boost from the Artec Blues Driver.

The Backing Track is called Big Band Blues from NewBackingTracks.com.

So is it "Big Band Blues" or is it "Big Reasons for being Banned Blues"? :icon_whoknows:

download/file.php?id=817
Attachments

Trying to get the VSA590 voice
BigAndBanned.mp3 - (3.68 MiB)

An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Golfxzq

Re: The VSA Voice

Post by Golfxzq »

:clap: Now THAT's the way I want to sound some day.... VB, I'm afraid I can't offer any constructive criticism... first, I'm just not qualified to critique such a great tune... I think I did hear a few very small snips in there... but, as you say, it's a work in progress. I LOVED it... it's a great tune and played very well. Your tone is fabulous... don't change a ting from my perspective. Keep that up and we will be buying your CD's some day.... or watching you on Crossroads. :thumbsup:
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Can't listen right now, but I will check it out as soon as I can. I have been wondering how you liked this guitar and when you were gonna post something up. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

What a nice wee noodle VB !! Like it ! :thumbsup:

I left it playing in a loop on my PC for a bit and
a) it really grows on you
b) Its slighly hypnotic
Love the tone and the way you keep coming back to and - and work around the main theme .
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

That's a very sweet tone, fits right in with the backing track so it sounds like you're part of the band ! :beer:
Playing is nice too, very smooth and understated. I like :clap:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Golfxzq wrote::clap: Now THAT's the way I want to sound some day.... VB, I'm afraid I can't offer any constructive criticism... first, I'm just not qualified to critique such a great tune... I think I did hear a few very small snips in there... but, as you say, it's a work in progress. I LOVED it... it's a great tune and played very well. Your tone is fabulous...
:eye_rub: Heck - you've made me feel weird there. I come on this site and listen to a lot of the other members playing and think I'd love to sound like that - the more the piece is pure blues the more I think that. I find it difficult to get my head round someone saying it to me. I'm flattered though - thank you Golfxzq. :D Thank you too for mentioning the tune - I'm deliberately trying on this piece for melody and not licks or my standard patterns - the BT helps though - it prompts me to try to play tunes. It's not a bad tone for a budget guitar is it .... I'm quite pleasantly surprised by it.

One thing I noticed when I was playing it, given your recent question about which notes can be played ("What's in the Box?"),was a sequence of about 15 notes which start with C, B, Bb on the 1st string followed by some second and third string notes working down the fretboard and then Bb, A, and Ab on the firt string. So that's frets 8,7,and 6, then 6, 5, and 4 on the first string all used in a few seconds of time and it sound fine. Dunno why though! :big_smile:
Strummer07 wrote:What a nice wee noodle VB !! Like it ! :thumbsup:

I left it playing in a loop on my PC for a bit and
a) it really grows on you
b) Its slighly hypnotic
Love the tone and the way you keep coming back to and - and work around the main theme .
Thank you Strummer. I liked the way you slipped that nice wee reference in too! I'm trying to work on getting better structure - I remember commenting on one of the collab threads a few months back how great some of the members here are at the structure of their solos. It is difficult though - for a start you have to remember what you played earlier. :roll: And as evidenced by my recently missed dentist appointment my memory ain't what i used to be. hmmm - or maybe I wanted to forget? :icon_whoknows:
Blackhorse wrote:That's a very sweet tone, fits right in with the backing track so it sounds like you're part of the band ! :beer:
Playing is nice too, very smooth and understated. I like :clap:
:D I appreciate the comments Blackhorse. I spent some time on mic positioning and pedal and tone settings for a matching sound and I did spend a bit of time on the DAW tinkering with the balance of volume but I liked the way the tone of the VSA590 seemed to suit that type of backing arrangement.

I think smooth and understated is where my abilities (such as they are) lead me. I'm no speed merchant (I'm a blues tortoise!), and playing with fingerstyle usually cuts down on the more "in yer face" tones that are more achievable with a pick. For me I love the way these semi-acoustics sort of fit in so well with smooth and understated with their basic tones. :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Starting to tell stories using your guitar VB ?
Well done, love the sound (and lack of verb)
Awesome sounf from your gear. I really really like this one
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:Starting to tell stories using your guitar VB ?
Well done, love the sound (and lack of verb)
Awesome sounf from your gear. I really really like this one
:big_smile: I managed to keep away from the Reverb in the DAW, so there's just a subtle touch of it from the EHX Nano pedal (lovely pedal that). I think I got the mic in a good position this time for the level and tone that was coming from the speaker.

Glad you liked it HBL :D - I think the VSA590 has been a good choice for me. I'll probably be coming back to this and working more on it - once I get past the financial year end and the quarterly / year end board meeting - they sap my creativity and eat up my spare time more than just a little.

I sort of have a vague feeling that VB will maybe one day post on this forum about getting an Archtop Jazz Guitar. Maybe not - just seems to be the direction I'm heading? :icon_whoknows:
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap:
Very nice! I love the sound of your setup, and the playing suits the BT very well.
Sounds great! :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
2WheelsOfBlues

Post by 2WheelsOfBlues »

Very nice one VikingBlues :clap:

Great sound
play guitar like the wind, mysterious but definitely present....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy, Kenworth000 - Thank you for listening and your encouragement. :D

First time I've tried a BT with a "big band" sound - really enjoyed it. :banana:

Now - if I could just remember what I did on the set up? :icon_whoknows: :wall:
weelie

Post by weelie »

Lovely tone, and sweet playing!