DIY Lapsteel, need some help from my friends

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
ElMano

Re: DIY Lapsteel, need some help from my friends

Post by ElMano »

Thanks Gerd But that is very easy to realize. I bought a couple of rolls (3) in a blister at a store named: Action I dont know if they had them in Germany but it is a kind of tape they use for making postcards end so on I will used it as fretboard marks on the Lapsteel. If you cant find it pm me and i post some inches the 3 tapes cost me 0.99 Euro :beer:
Last edited by ElMano on Sun Feb 06, 2011 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Very nice job so far :thumbsup:
Jan 15th 2007
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

After two days with heavy storm i had some time to do some work on the lapsteel. Friday i glue on the top wood and the fretboard. While i was waiting for the glue to dry i make 22 frets from Stainless steel welding threat. This Sunday afternoon i took of the clamps and drilled the holes to put the frets in (i bend the two corners down en hammer them in) The pickup cover fits in the middle. I almost finished working at one side I use some dark wood to get a kind of binding on the top- and back side I havened make the cover for the Volume knob ore the jack. After fixing the other side i used the router to make the edges round on top and bottom. To see of the strings are in line i used some rope as you can see are the strings flat and high above the fretboard.
I got some pictures so fare
Attachments
100_5834kl.JPG
100_5834kl.JPG (25.24 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
100_5838kl.JPG
100_5838kl.JPG (23.44 KiB) Viewed 10141 times
100_5835kl.JPG
100_5835kl.JPG (48.65 KiB) Viewed 10142 times
100_5836kl.JPG
100_5836kl.JPG (25.45 KiB) Viewed 10142 times
Last edited by ElMano on Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I get more amazed with your inventiveness and building skills with every post ElMano. Going great!! :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Thanks VB, You did not to bad yourself whit the strat to i guess. After finished this i will start a Les Paul Neck true whit some special idea's i have for a while. The idea is also a No-budget project. Just as this one. All the wood i have use is from the scrapheap ore from the leftovers of a parquet shop ( beside the sawing machine :dance: ) I scored a Norwegian Pine-wood frame of an two sits. I dismantled it carefully, so i will see if it is gonna work out. I got myself a cracked neck Epiphone studio as donor for all the hard ware. Good Pickups, machineheads, trussrod, fretboard, bridge, stoptail, and so on ( cant wait to start it off :chicken: 0
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Last Thursday i do some shaping and sanding And fix the cavity cover, Just a few spots and a first paint job, an some sanding again. this is the point where i need some help from my friends. I will tell you why. when i start the (first) model someone told me it was quit similar with the Lapsteel that has the name "The New Yorker"I can see why. But i didn't know of that thing at all. When start this (2e try) i keep follow the idea of the skyscraper. before i start with the finishing i want have the name on the headstock. Of course it must be the name of a famous ore similar building. not necessarily in New York. looking at Google i found the Woolworth building

http://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworth_Building

But i think that there must be a building that can use the honer of named on my project :think: So please help. in the meanwhile i will do the wiring, and start looking for some fine screw's Put in the shielding and some bits and pieces an thinking of a nice font to print the name. After that starts the biggest challenge off all ...... Playing on that thing :mercy: :icon_whoknows: :whistle:
So when it is finished i am vary curios how it sounds. If it sounds well i will start an other project Building a les Paul Neck true of tropical wood and chambered body of orion pine with the top and back like the lapsteel covered i have a crashed Paul as donor for the hardware.
Attachments
100_5846kl.JPG
100_5846kl.JPG (24.58 KiB) Viewed 10132 times
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

When I look at your Lap steel , Great construction btw... well done!!

I can only think of and see the Chrysler Building .............one of the most beautiful iconic buildings in NY .. real style !
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
MikeJackal

Post by MikeJackal »

Wow amazing woodworking skills!
To me it looks more like a rocket, i'd call it Apollo I
"You Only Live But Once, When Your Dead Your Done...So Let The Good Times Roll" - B.B. King
"I'm So Lonesome I Don't Even Have Me No Friend, I've Done So Much Crying Will I Ever Laugh Again" - Peter Green
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

The lap steel is collecting dust while i was cruising France for 3 months When i was back home is had to do a lot of work in the house. I all so take care of my sons dog while he is to Italie with his wife and the grandchildren. So i have not so much time as i use to be, but i bought myself a nice Drill press and a band-saw machine. Soon as the lap steel is finished i start to build a Les Paul with some custom ideas i have. I collect all the stuff i need in the mean while. I have a donor Guitar (Epiphone les Paul). First i prepare the shack make a bigger working table, and give all the big tools a better place, and try to make the best of it in a the far to small place (is it not always to small for us man??) The junk removal was a kind of treasurer hunt :aha: So i when i finished i found some great stuff i collect together for an other project. Because i write a couple of songs myself it is more easy to sing them myself. I wanted a vintage blues sound that i could not found on a modern mic. At a flea market i found an old telefone I took out the speaker an put some things together to make it look old, No wood this time!. The sound is exact what i want. Tomorrow i try it at the practice. I let you know how it works.

Some pics
SP_A0147w.jpg
SP_A0147w.jpg (35.8 KiB) Viewed 10079 times

SP_A0147w.jpg
SP_A0147w.jpg
Attachments
SP_A0151w.jpg
SP_A0151w.jpg (21.88 KiB) Viewed 10079 times
SP_A0148w.jpg
SP_A0148w.jpg (18.45 KiB) Viewed 10079 times
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Looks fantastic ElMano.
Quite a buildjob I'd say
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Sweet looking mic... Can't wait to hear what it sounds like. :drool:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Glad you're back! Awesome work on the mic too! Wanna hear it now.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

You keep amazing me with the way you can make all these things ElMano - how do you know all these things. :eye_rub:

Looking forward to hearing the sounds - it looks great. :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!