Floydian Slip

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Floydian Slip

Post by VikingBlues »

In the interests of keeping going the spirit of adventure and exploring new territory as shown by Strummer07, Golfxzq, and MoJo Jim - here's VB's first step into the wonderful world of video. :nuts:

bY1LP24DEro

Two Backing Tracks from Gilmourish.com - "Marooned" and "Shine On Blues" if I remember right.

So - it's just me looking uncomfortable with my lovely "Strat" through my Nano Reverb and Artec Blues Overdrive pedal into the AC4TV with a mic recording to the PC. The Camcorder is just a cheap Vado Pocket HD. What a mess of wiring that was to set up the recording.

It wasn't deliberate to have the first minute or so with the sun glare hiding my left hand. Oh - I do move slightly towards the end of the video!!

It's taken two days to get MovieMaker to play ball and produce a synched video with a full size picture. :angry: :wall: :pray:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Pena

Re: Floydian Slip

Post by Pena »

VB, that was great, I really enjoyed it. Sweet BT's exellent playing and mood. And the vid was also great and had atmosphere. Sry for typos I'm on my iPhone at work behind the wheel, not driving atm though :big_smile:
"The blues is a low down achein' chill" Robert Johnson
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Great job VB!

Both audio and visual, working perfectly. Great playing and sweet, sweet tone :high5:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

+1 Wonderful! :clap: :clap:

Interesting to see that classical style vibrato on a strat - sounds like it works well! :thumbsup:
spoonful

Post by spoonful »

Great, I especially like how well you and your dog match in regarding of hairstyling!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

VB ...Great tunes and love the video idea.................(Just as I get my head around recording and DAW's .... .you raise the bar !!)

Respect !!

Love the fluidity of youyr playing ............not sure which piece I like best .....Both are spot on!!

As for the headgear .......your never really dressed without your Tam o Shanter North of the border !!! :big_smile:

This truth fand honest Tam o' Shanter,
As he frae Ayr ae night did canter,
(Auld Ayr, wham ne'er a town surpasses
For honest men and bonie lasses.)

R. Burns 1790
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys - you've cheered me up - and after the morning I've had that's a much needed tonic. :big_smile: :banana:

Good point Spoonful - I'd not thought about the dog - they do say owners and their dogs grow to look like each other, but I suppose donning a wig is a bit extreme. I had thought of it as a bit of an Ian Anderson add on. That and something to hide behind when I felt a bit exposed more than a Scottish theme (nice one Strummer). The lack of movement is a giveaway as to the extra pressure of having just one take of 9 minutes - I did do one run through first to warm up. I started to get into the zone in the Shine On Blues section - I was forgetting by then that there was a camera.

See everyone though - we do get sun in Scotland sometimes! :clap:

Well spotted 12bar - :aha: I can get away with some classical vibrato on the strat with the 9s, though I try and mix it with real blues vibrato if I remember or if I am less focussed on just avoiding wrong notes - if it's the 10s on the Hagstrom though the classical vibrato doesn't really work. The classical stuff is a hangover from a few years of going to classical lessons before a combination of RSI and feeling restricted by having to play pieces the same way every time kicked in.

Thanks for the comment on fluidity Strummer - I've been working a lot on that these last few months. The "Strat" has really helped. It's also helped the tone Blackhorse - I can't take all the credit - and that tone plus teh BT really is great for the mood mentioned by Pena. I'm amazed at the benefits I've got from the self-build - it's just a shame it seems to have made two guitars redundant.
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Way cool!! Seeing you and the famous Strat in action! Looks and sounds great! Some day I hope I have the courage to simply record myself and share it!

You can be very proud of this lovely creation and the way it gives voice to your music.

And don't take Spoonfull's teasing about your dog's hair seriously. I wish I still had some! (at least on the top of my head).
Bluesmole

Post by Bluesmole »

Thanks VB, I really enjoyed that.
I know you have a sense of humour, so I'm asking: Is the abundant hair attached to the Tam or to your head?
If the latter is the answer please send me some clippings!! :whistle: :oldie:
"Big Bill Broonzy, a white boy's inspiration" (1963), and the Blues ever since.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
This is great! The sun's glare on the left hand actually works in a Rock Video kind of way.
Sweet tone you are getting from that rig, and nice playing too. I like what you do with the Gilmour inspired stuff. That would be far outside my comfort zone. :thumbsup: :beer:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote: Well spotted 12bar - :aha: I can get away with some classical vibrato on the strat with the 9s, though I try and mix it with real blues vibrato if I remember or if I am less focussed on just avoiding wrong notes - if it's the 10s on the Hagstrom though the classical vibrato doesn't really work.
I'm thinking of going back to 009 or even 008 just because I can't practice enough to master a comfortable full tone bend with vibrato on my 010s any more.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

That's some performance VB. real good stuff in there.
I noticed you grew more hair :cool:

First vid ?..... uhm.. yeah let's keep it at that, although... :away:
Nah, I won't

Loved to see the VikingStrat in action :thumbsup:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Well done :thumbsup:
Good tone and nice playing :clap:
Jan 15th 2007
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

:yikes: Heck - turn your back for a few hours and there's a landslide of posts - my sincere thanks to you all.

This was all a strange combination of fortune - finding the Gilmourish.com BTs (which was I'm sure a recommendation from someone here - I wish I could remember who) - the "Strat" finishing up the way she did and kicking my playing into another gear - the help and encouragement at 12bar.de (hence my dedication on the video) - the sun coming out the way it did for the video - managing to play for nearly 9 minutes without too many wrong notes (a few I managed to sort of cover up) - being able to paper over and disguise a major flaw in the audio recording - managing to eventually find a setting that allowed moviemaker to "publish" a video that worked. :big_smile: I've enjoyed the end result - but there were times a day or two ago I was seething with all the equipment problems. :angry:

Thanks oneyedslide - I found this video easier to post than I thought I would - I think the wig helped - I loved Spoonfuls comment about the dog and laughed out loud when I read it. Theo (the hound in question) is as sweet as the "Strat", so I'm happy to be compared to him. I'm afraid if I was to send you hair clippings Bluesmole you'd find black and rather too much grey rather than red! :lol: Hair on top of the head is still black but the beard, as you see, is mostly white and I'm now getting white around the ears and it's moving up. Odd that, my beard is youngerthan my hair but is going white first? :icon_whoknows:

I love playing with the Floyd / Gilmour type BTs Blindboy and have played along with these two tracks in particular quite a lot over the last couple of weeks, so I think that translates into some extra creativity and stronger musical ideas - though the playing style I have evolved has probably more Knopfler in it than Gilmour - but I maybe should just call it VB style I suppose. Thanks Blindboy and Vancouveris - the tone that's coming from the "Strat" / AC4TV combination feels so "right" to me - also the Artec Blues Overdrive pedal I've had for quite a while just works perfectly in the equipment chain. Another one of those happy coincidences. I feel I've done the guitar some justice with this video - thanks HBL. I guess the "hair" length is about the same as the real hair was in my teens. I don't think the video idea will be a frequent thing - the extra time to set it all up and the time to arrange and edit it makes me feel it's best kept for "special" projects.

12bar - I've always in the previous various strat type of guitars I've had had the feeling I've been losing tone by using 9s. I think that what this one has shown me is that it was probably just the shortcomings of those guitars, or my inexperience as a player, rather than the strings. Or maybe now I use finger style it's less violent impact on the strings allows the lighter guage to sing sweetly. I noticed recently Kirk Hammett has gone back to lighter strings due to the damage he was doing to his hands / fingers - he said that with the right equipment / EQ adjustment he was getting close to the tone he had with the heavier strings. Not that I listen to Metallica. :oldie:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:Hair on top of the head is still black
Mine is long gone! :lol:
VikingBlues wrote:12bar - I've always in the previous various strat type of guitars I've had had the feeling I've been losing tone by using 9s. I think that what this one has shown me is that it was probably just the shortcomings of those guitars, or my inexperience as a player, rather than the strings. Or maybe now I use finger style it's less violent impact on the strings allows the lighter guage to sing sweetly. I noticed recently Kirk Hammett has gone back to lighter strings due to the damage he was doing to his hands / fingers - he said that with the right equipment / EQ adjustment he was getting close to the tone he had with the heavier strings. Not that I listen to Metallica. :oldie:
I'll give it a try, next time I order something I'll add a set of 009 strings to the basket. Any idea for a good brand? Usually I use Ernie Balls.
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

12bar wrote: I'm thinking of going back to 009 or even 008 just because I can't practice enough to master a comfortable full tone bend with vibrato on my 010s any more.
Interesting... I can't play comfortably with anything less than .11's. It is only partly a tone thing, too. With .10 or less, I tend to push the strings all over the neck, and can't stay in pitch. Also, when I go from soft touch to hard, anything less that an .11 tends to buzz and rattle out. I also tend to break more strings under .11... Maybe I am heavy handed, but I tend (especially live) to go from REALLY soft to REALLY HARD, with picking dynamics. :roll: :icon_whoknows: :big_smile:
Hmmm, before CTS, I played .13's... :roll:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:I'll give it a try, next time I order something I'll add a set of 009 strings to the basket. Any idea for a good brand? Usually I use Ernie Balls.
I've tried a few brands over the years and keep coming back to the same one. D'Addario EXL Nickel Wound. I have 9s ("Strat"/"Tele") and 10s (Tokai/Hagstrom) on my guitars at present - I find they have a nice tone. They suit me but it'll depend on your gear and style of playing - and ears! Haven't tried lower than 10s on the Tokai or Hagstrom though.
Blindboy wrote:I tend (especially live) to go from REALLY soft to REALLY HARD, with picking dynamics.
If us finger-picking guys do that there'll be blood and fingernails everywhere. :yikes: :rofl:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote:If us finger-picking guys do that there'll be blood and fingernails everywhere. :yikes: :rofl:
Nono - we GRAB the string with the fingers and let it smash! :peace:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Mhh so we've got a bunch of Grabboids on here :lol:
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

How about a lovely set of 'Neon' Strings ???
DR Handmade Neon HiDef Pink Electric Guitar Strings

NEON™ is the second in DR's SuperStrings™ series. Super bright in day light, and with stage lighting. DR's NEON™ strings are so bright in appearance "they look like they are on fire." DR's NEON™ strings shine brightly under stage lights, and are 100% black light active so they glow strongly under UV lighting. And DR's NEON™ sound as good as they look. As Joey Clemment from Salena Gomez said, "Yeah they look great, but they sound incredible!"

09 / 11 / 16 / 24w / 32w / 42w

10 / 13 / 17 / 26w / 36w / 46w

11 / 14 / 18 / 28w / 38w / 50w

These are surely stunning !!.....6 string and Bass

Aplogies to VB ..it has little to do with your video

.....Your hair wasn't even this colour !!..........But , if you want to play in the dark .....you know where to go !! :lol:

Incidentally I use the word "Stunning" ....................... as in" stunningly dreadful" that is !!
Attachments
pink strings !!
pink strings !!
pink neon strings.jpg (63.05 KiB) Viewed 16089 times
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011