Summer Heat

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
StratLover2

Summer Heat

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

I just wrote this little song. Again, it is a Satriani inspired piece. In case you are interested the song it was inspired by is "Summer Song." This is another stretch for me, as I continue to expand my playing, especially in the modal areas.

At first it took a couple of tries to get the mix of modes to sound okay, but on the third time, it all just seemed to blend for me. Especially the little riffs at the end of the solo just came to me naturally, to me, on this time I just stopped worrying about the theory of scales and just let it flow!

I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed recording it! By the way, this guitar I used on this, is a 2004 Fender Toroando. It has special meaning to me, as it is the first electric guitar I ever owned!

StratLove 2

download/file.php?id=570
Attachments

Summer Heat
Summer Heat.mp3 - (3.06 MiB)

Last edited by StratLover2 on Thu Nov 18, 2010 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blackhorse

Re: Summer Heat

Post by Blackhorse »

Hi Stratlover,

sounds great :thumbsup:

It doesn't sound at all awkward, as switching modes does when I try it. If you don't mind me asking, what modes were you playing, and at what points did you switch?

The essence of great guitar playing is to me exactly as you described - forgetting all about theory and just playing! Unfortunately for that to work you have to know the theory very well, so your fingers know what they're doing and your mind can relax. Sounds like you're just about there :clap:
StratLover2

Re: Summer Heat

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi Blackhorse!

Well, to answer your mode question first, I was playing in A Mixolydian, trying to combine it with the minor pentatonic or Dorian, like the song it was based off of Summer Song. It was quite an interesting experience to say the least! Once I started thinking more about playing and less about the blending as it were, I found it came easier!

The answer to your at what points did I switch? Well, I started out in the Mixolydian mode, then gradually worked my way to the Dorian, then back to the Mixolydian, then I think I ended in either the Dorian or the Mixolydian.
Thanks for your kind words,

StratLover2