sound + idea samples

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

sound + idea samples

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

I was thinking of doing my own rendition of comfortably numb. So today I started tweaking Cybie :dance:
The amp / tonestack is a strange mix of a Tweed tonestack against hotrod 2 tube config. Lots of revrb.(you know) high compression setting and gain at 7.
For fx I used Delay combined with pedal wha. I fixed the wha setting to a tone I liked and set Delay to again some quite high settings.

I started playing along a little, recorded about 5 session parts.

So hit me with comments remarks etc the pieces I put together contain sounds, licks and runs I intend to use for the full thingie.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9826853

btw : VB you put me on to this, maybe we should create a floyd subforum here :dance: :tease: :drool: :naughty: (sorry Gerd :shy: )
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: sound + idea samples

Post by VikingBlues »

I see you haven't lost your ability to morph into Dave Gilmour since the Old Man of the Sea. :pray:

FWIW - I felt the section between 0.00 and 0.15 seemed to have more of a Gilmour tone than the 0.15 to 0.26. Not sure why - maybe just an extra touch of edginess to the sound. One of the reasons I end up sounding more Knopfleresque than Gilmouresque if I play around with Floyd BTs - I find it difficult to hit that extra gear. Sometimes to be honest I find DG too edgy and have to stop listening. :eye_rub:

Generally the 0.27 to 1.03 seemed to possess this slight edge too more than the 1.03 to 1.45 - don't know if there is a common factor with these. But having said that the crescendos with a touch of squeal at around 1.25 and 1.40 were very impressive. :clap:

I think all of what I heard works and the fact that I've suggested parts might be more Gilmourish doesn't necessarily mean I'd prefer them. I've probably listened to more HalfBlindLefty playing guitar in the last year than Dave Gilmour so I'm as happy for it to be whatever is "you". I'm eager to hearthis progress, and I'm quite happy to be the catalyst. :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote:btw : VB you put me on to this, maybe we should create a floyd subforum here :dance: :tease: :drool: :naughty: (sorry Gerd :shy: )
I hear much more than Floyd in this. A bit of Mike Oldfield :eye_rub: , EC on I wish it would rain now and others.
No Blues, but still great! :thumbsup:
LzyBlue

Post by LzyBlue »

I vote for the 1st part. You nailed the tone with that one!
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

The first was the most Gilmouresque, but the other parts were more interesting to me. They fit very nicely with the track, and they sounded like the type of thing Gilmour would play if he's in a more playful or experimental mood - not quite classic Gilmour, but not a million miles away either, and more interesting for it.

As for tone, I would give it a longer delay, and scoop out those mids! Give the amp lots of treble, max bass but very low mids to get that Gilmour tone - if that's what you're looking for.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Ok, thanks for all the remarks, comments and pointers :)

VB the sound changes are only because of the fact that I turn a little more towards the speakers.
The sharper tone is just bacause of the wha setting that reacts at those notes with a squeel when I bend in a .. mhh certain way.

Alright, now I want to play it through a couple of times, make the song grow on me and then hit the 12bar charts :P
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Blackhorse wrote:The first was the most Gilmouresque, but the other parts were more interesting to me. They fit very nicely with the track, and they sounded like the type of thing Gilmour would play if he's in a more playful or experimental mood - not quite classic Gilmour, but not a million miles away either, and more interesting for it.

As for tone, I would give it a longer delay, and scoop out those mids! Give the amp lots of treble, max bass but very low mids to get that Gilmour tone - if that's what you're looking for.
I already changed a couple of settings.
Little higher on the precense
a Little lower on reverb input, reverb input switchable by foortswitch.
A little longer delay and some extra repeats.
Just a touch less mids... I rarther like the tone now
Blackhorse

Post by Blackhorse »

Looking forward to hearing the finished article :drool:
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Your tone is excellent, far better than what I can emulate with the POD.
Blackhorse wrote:Looking forward to hearing the finished article :drool:
+1
Jan 15th 2007