Guadalupe

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
StratLover2

Guadalupe

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi all!

I saw that Kalle has been doing some Santana work on here, and I could resist giving a stab at a Santana style backing track in Bm. I had a lot of distortion on this one, kind of on purpose to give it that '70s feel. Sorry if it is a tad muddy, I was trying not to make it so muddy, but yet keep that Santana-eque fuzz.

I hope you like it, I'm kind of sticking my neck out on this one,

download/file.php?id=539

StratLover2
Attachments

Guadalupe
Guadalupe.mp3 - (4.97 MiB)

VikingBlues

Re: Guadalupe

Post by VikingBlues »

I believe it's good to step outside the "comfort zone" and go into areas you don't usually play. Well - I keep telling myself that when I try to do that. Not that it makes it any easier to judge how successfully it works for yourself.

As far as I can hear you've got the style to fit what you were aiming at, but I'm not a Santana listener other than on an occasional accidental basis. I gravitate towards Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac Black Magic Woman rather than the Santana version say. I have a problem with my own playing when the overdrive level is cranked but your tone to me does sound like a pretty natural cranked overdrive. I can appreciate your worry on the muddy aspect - that echoes my owm concern if I stray near to these sort of musical waters.

You've certainly hit the deck running on this piece and played 110%. :thumbsup: :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Hi VB!

Thanks for your kind comments! This is a song that I've been tooling with for a while, and I was aiming for that cranked over-drive sound. This is at the top of what I consider to be bearable for my playing before it starts to sound too hard rock and metalish.

Don't get me wrong, I have done some Black Sabbath and the occasional Metallica song, but now, I've gravitated to where the Santana esque, and the Cream style songs are at my upper distortion end as far as that goes.

Thanks again,

StratLover2
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

We need more of this fresh, rocking, aggressive and yet melodic playing! :thumbsup:
I wish Clapton had pulled it out for some songs on his new album...
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Nice!
Good overdrive sound, not too muddy at all. :thumbsup:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

No mud detected, sounds darn good. Very well played to.
Yeah I guess I like it (a lot)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Thanks HBL!

I really love playing these kind of pieces, where I can capture the feel the artist was trying to get, without imitating the artist (much)

Cheers,

StratLover2
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

Overdrive on! Like it!
StratLover2

Post by StratLover2 »

Thanks Oneeyedslide!

I really enjoy playing with a decent amount of overdrive. I try to use it to bring out my playing, not use it as a mask for my playing!

I really had fun recording it. Glad you liked it,

StratLover2