Noodles, you to ?

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Noodles, you to ?

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

After firing up my CT, I "wheeled" through some settings in search for a nice clean sound to lay a Overdrive/distortion/fuzz thingie down with.
I almost moved along this setting I created to fool around with echo and reverb.
Thinking "Why not" I started audition and did some settings on 3 tracks.

1 - Shure PX57
2 - Shure PG58
3 - Spdif

I changed the (stereo) echo time to 825 ms, turned the reverb knob to 6 and started fooling around with three chords.
When I listened afterwards I thought the noodles tasted U2-ish :yikes:

I inserted a sweeping flanger effect on the spdif channel, set the volume control for that channel to "Write mode" and played the recording, meanwhile playing with the volume for that channel.

The outcome... HBL takes a dive, deep into echo, reverb and Flanger effects.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9808675
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Re: Noodles, you to ?

Post by VikingBlues »

Played with control and precision like this it all makes musical sense. I rather like swimming in these sounds in these deep waters. :clap:

But ... you really shouldn't talk about reverb settings of 6 :yikes: in my earshot!!! No knowing where that might lead. :lol:

I'm interested to hear the flanging within this - the flanger is one of the family of fx units that I haven't clicked with or understood at all yet.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks VB :big_smile:

I guess I better don't tell you I used the Fender reverb setting ( sh!7loads of reverb with that one. (mhh now I did)

Here is a sweeping Flanger only mix :D

Flanging according to wikipedia
This flanging is one specific type of phase-shifting or "phasing". In phasing, the signal is passed through one or more all-pass filters which have non-linear phase response, and then added back to the original signal. This results in constructive and destructive interference that varies with frequency, giving a series of peaks and troughs in the frequency response of the system. In general, the position of these peaks and troughs do not occur in a harmonic series.

In contrast, flanging relies on adding the signal to a uniform time-delayed copy of itself, which results in an output signal with peaks and troughs which are in a harmonic series. Extending the comb analogy, flanging yields a comb filter with regularly-spaced teeth, whereas phasing results in a comb filter with irregularly-spaced teeth.

In both phasing and flanging, the characteristics (phase response and time delay, respectively) are generally varied in time, leading to an audible sweeping effect.

To the ear, flanging and phasing sound similar, yet they are recognizable as distinct colorations.

Commonly, flanging is referred to as having a "jet plane-like" characteristic. In order for the comb filter effect to be audible, the spectral content of the program material must be full enough within the frequency range of this moving comb filter to reveal the filter’s effect. It is more apparent when it is applied to material with a rich harmonic content, and is most obvious when applied to a white noise or similar noise signal.

If the frequency response of this effect is plotted on a graph, the trace resembles a comb, and so is called a comb filter.

The name "flanging" comes from the original method of creation. Originally, a signal would be recorded to two tape machines simultaneously. The playback-head output from these two recorders was then mixed together onto a third recorder. In this form, minute differences in the motor speeds of each machine would result in a phasing effect when the signals were combined. The "flange" effect originated when an engineer would literally put a finger on the flange, or rim of one of the tape reels so that the machine was slowed down, slipping out of sync by tiny degrees.[citation needed] A listener would hear a "drainpipe" sweeping effect as shifting sum-and-difference harmonics were created. When the operator removed his finger the tape sped up again, making the effect sweep back in the other direction.

Alternatively, the track could be recorded to two matching tape decks first, then replayed simultaneously with both decks closely in sync. With this method, slowing down one deck by pressing the tape reel flange would "sweep" the flange effect in one direction, but when released the playback of that deck would remain slightly behind the other, and the effect would not sweep back. Instead, pressing the flange of the other deck would sweep the effect back in the other direction as the tape position of the decks move toward being in sync again.
This is the sweeping version (stereo sweeps) it chages quite dramaticly, that why I kept it quite low in the mix on most places

download/file.php?id=531
Attachments

Flanger_only_Noodles, you_to.mp3 - (3.75 MiB)

A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Errm - I think that makes it clrearer. :yikes:

No .. seriously it does - after a read or two. I'd have been more confused without your sound sample though.

I hadn't realised how closely related flange and phase were. Shows I haven't been paying attention. :big_smile: Thanks for posting this. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I'm not much into effects, but this one really sounds good. It fits the sweet tone perfectly. :thumbsup:
I like the tape deck explanation from wikipedia - I have to explain interference to my students often (Michelson interferometer).
BTW - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoPaBa6Ms6Y :big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks guys :)

Mhh small faces... indeed :D