Getting the hand and fingers back in action

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Getting the hand and fingers back in action

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Hey there. Still alive, trying if I can get back in action :lefty:

Just a random chord sequence and some notes. ( short thingie)
In this case it's all about the question if HBL's sound still exists......
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
fenson

Re: Getting the hand and fingers back in action

Post by fenson »

Did you stop!? [;-)] You might feel lack of virtuosity on your own that's your feeling... IMHO: Sound is Here!
Cheers!
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 10:51 pm In this case it's all about the question if HBL's sound still exists......
Yes. It does! Nothing lost... :clap:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Fenson : No I didn’t stop. Just had looooong periodes I didn’t play due to major discomforts. Thanks for listening

12Bar: glad to see you stating that, after 14 year of HBL sound you ought to be a good judge on that.
Thanks.
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Actually, the first three seconds are enough to know who's playing. So IT is still there. :music2:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

12bar wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:06 pm Actually, the first three seconds are enough to know who's playing. So IT is still there. :music2:
Haha, thanks Gerd :)

Time to have IT learn it's lesson and work like old times :lefty:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Meanwhile I moved on and pulled out my old and trusty Hondo II acoustic, that is around 45 years old by now, to give it some playing time.
IMG-0013.jpg
IMG-0013.jpg (3.14 MiB) Viewed 11903 times
Still feeling a bit rusty but it's getting better.
Same backing lines as yesterday, just an short acoustic try-out in stead of the electric lead, see what you think.

slow motion Hondo.mp3 - (4.86 MiB)

At some point I get the impression I hear human voices. was nobody there, but it could be a case of some interference.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

HalfBlindLefty wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:09 pm At some point I get the impression I hear human voices. was nobody there, but it could be a case of some interference.
You simply make your guitar sing... :pray:
Tone quality is excellent, as if I'm standing in your room. Did you record guitar and backing together or mix afterwards?
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Thanks Gerd,

Actually it has been a three steps recording.
1st take/track : - Samick , 2 mono tracks panned 100% left & 60% right
2nd take/track : - Tokai, 2 mono tracks panned 60% left & 100% right
3rd take/track : - Hondo 1 stereo track dead center

Al recorded tracks playing while recording the others
Hondo has a build in “Fishman” pre amp. Both bridgepiezo and microphone.
Hondo goes through my Behringer tube mic preamp into the xenir mixer. Fx hall and a touch of chorus (stereo)

That about sums it up
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

By the way, this old Hondo acoustic guitar is beaten, battle scarred and has been stored above the heating pipes in our house for about 5 or 6 years.
At the time I put it at it’s retirement spot. I tought repairing what was needed was way more than was logical.
Still I cared for my old trusty guitar way to much to trow it away.

About three years ago, for some reason I felt sorry for my old trusted friend and took it off the wall again. Glued the top where it got loose. Repaired some other damage, replaced the tuners and of course gave it a fresh set of nylon strings.

I was blown away by how the sound of that cheap old Hondo had “changed” by cooking and frying it above those heating pipes.

Instand love again.

Despite the fact that the Fishman pre amp is build in China it sounds reasonably well.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

My son's Fender acoustic has a Fishman, not bad considering the price. :dance:

My guitars are stored next to a radiator for years. I know everyone tells you not to do it, it will shrink the wood and is evil, but it doesn't harm them. No problem with the frets and the tuning is and intonation is stable... :icon_whoknows: :big_smile:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

When I put the guitar about 8 cm above the horizontal pipes it was already aged.
If you look at the picture at the body at the end on the righthand side of the pic, you’ll notice where I repaired and glued the shrunken top.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Damn it - see what I've been missing!!!!!!! :yikes:

Regarding the first post and the "short thingie", yes, the HBL sound still exists. The quality is there - big style! :clap:

Very beautiful sounds from the Hondo - that guitar has great tone, but i know a lot of that is coming from the player.
A touch of chorus can add a lot ..... one of those things where less is more.
I hope your fingers and joints are happily easing into playing again.
My Vintage VE2000GG acoustic has a built in Fishman Presys with a piezo / microphone mix, and it works really well.
The microphone being in the mix is essential for me - I just can't get along with a piezo only acoustic amped up or DI'd.

My guitars are also stored near a radiator Gerd - I'm glad to hear someone else does this and it's been OK. :phew:
Room sizes here are that small it's difficult to store them far from a radiator wherever they're placed.

Anyway - wonderful to here HBL sound in my ears again! :D
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 pm
Room sizes here are that small it's difficult to store them far from a radiator wherever they're placed.
When you have 4 kids with each one having a room all what's left is a small corner in the living room :cry: :lol:
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

VikingBlues wrote: Sun Feb 09, 2020 1:18 pm Damn it - see what I've been missing!!!!!!! :yikes:

Regarding the first post and the "short thingie", yes, the HBL sound still exists. The quality is there - big style! :clap:

Very beautiful sounds from the Hondo - that guitar has great tone, but i know a lot of that is coming from the player.
A touch of chorus can add a lot ..... one of those things where less is more.
I hope your fingers and joints are happily easing into playing again.
My Vintage VE2000GG acoustic has a built in Fishman Presys with a piezo / microphone mix, and it works really well.
The microphone being in the mix is essential for me - I just can't get along with a piezo only acoustic amped up or DI'd.

My guitars are also stored near a radiator Gerd - I'm glad to hear someone else does this and it's been OK. :phew:

Anyway - wonderful to here HBL sound in my ears again! :D
Thanks a bunch VB, good to see you are still around.
You’ll better watch this place every now and then, I’llbe posting stuff more frequently from now on.
Cu around :dance: