The (Sad) Flower of Magherally

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

The (Sad) Flower of Magherally

Post by VikingBlues »

I've not played much guitar recently.

Having completed the house move there's been a lot to do in settling in properly. Plus I've lost half an hour a day in extra commuting time.

The electric guitars are in storage but the acoustics are littered around and taking up most of the space in my small hobby-room.

I've managed one successful acoustic recording since the move - a traditional tune called the Flower of Magherally, which I've spun a bit into my own interpretation. The song that goes with the tune is one of love, but I seem to have added a tragic quality to it all. Just the way it wanted played when I started trying it out. So I've added "(Sad)" to the title.

:music1: I like the way this style of music lends itself to some improvisation and re-interpretation - a bit in common with blues.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Re: The (Sad) Flower of Magherally

Post by fenson »

As always, really appreciate smoothness of your sadness :D
Well done VB :thumbsup:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

That fits perfectly - today the flu has got me, I'm down and feel the way you played...
Didn't know this song, but sounds great!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys! I will happily accept smooth sadness as a style. :D

Sorry to hear about the flu - it must be a bad dose if my tune fitted the way you felt so well. Hope you feel better soon! :thumbsup:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Yes, haven't had any high fever for more than 20 years, now it's nearly since a week. Gets down very slowly. A good chance to listen through the old forum uploads...
Ulysses

Post by Ulysses »

Didn't know about the original tune, I'm glad you showed us though :) Sort of reminds me of greensleeves, and your cover absolutely yearns for Leadbelly to sing over it :D
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Ulysses! :D

I've been a bit(!) sidetracked into acoustic guitars and DADGAD tuning these last few years.
But the practice in blues and the help I got here have been a help in exploring the new genre / field.

I see what you mean about "Greensleeves" - it hadn't occurred to me but you're right. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:58 am Yes, haven't had any high fever for more than 20 years, now it's nearly since a week. Gets down very slowly. A good chance to listen through the old forum uploads...
Sometimes being forced to take it easy can be good!
Though it's a long time since I've experienced that. :roll: