Caged Bird (Acoustic)

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Caged Bird (Acoustic)

Post by VikingBlues »

Way back in 2010 on this forum I started a thread called "Two Chord Challenge" with a BT with just two chords and the challenge being to use the 5 minute long track to make something interesting over the 5 minutes of just 2 chords.
For my attempt I ended up using some words my wife wrote in a poem called "Caged Bird" so that vocals helped break up the piece and I didn't have to rely on my guitar playing skills to retain interest.

I recently returned to those lyrics and fancied trying to do an acoustic guitar song with them.

It comes in at a much more modest 2 minute length ..... and all the better for that. :big_smile:
It shows me how my voice has deteriorated over the 7 years.

Arranged in DADGAD and played on my all mahogany Vintage V2000MGG. Recorded with Avantone Cardioid and Omni microphones.

It is a bit quiet on recording levels to avoid clipping issues at the tail end of the song when the vocal gets more fierce.

:music1: *************************************************
Look at that Sparrow on the wing,
Soaring up into the blue, blue sky
My eyes can scarcely take it in
How far it's possible to fly.

I sit here safely on my perch
The bars my sure security
I do not need to go and search
My needs supplied by captivity.

I'll stay and watch, I'll share the thrill
But take no risk beyond the cage
Then later I will eat my fill
Of seeds, and my soul's bitter rage.

Sandra Patterson 25/10/06
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Caged Bird (Acoustic)

Post by 12bar »

Completely different to viewtopic.php?f=6&t=287
but
fits much more to the text. I hear no deterioration in your voice, it's made for these kind of songs. :thumbsup: :clap:
fenson

Post by fenson »

Wasn't on this forum by the time you first post this song (thanks Gerd for the reminder link :D )
I really enjoy the version you posted @SoundCLick <http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... ID=9557092>
Thus, I would say I do not understand why you so often blame your playing on electric... Listening to the one I'm referencing demonstrate your 're far from being as bad as you think, really! At least to my ears.
It also confirm you've got real skills as composer and arranger :clap:

I put a ticket here for some working sessions over the internet to work out some of your ideas, it's up to you :icon_whoknows:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys for the positive thoughts on the two versions etc. :D

SO busy recently - I see it's just over a week since I posted this but I've not had really much chance for forum-ing at all. Real life gets in the way, and too much of it is meaningless and annoying! :nuts:

I sometimes wish I could see past the faults and flaws of what I do, but it maybe makes me want to try harder, so there's maybe a benefit to my seeing what I do in a gloomy light.

The voice issue is that occasional cracked and husky effect I now get. But I guess it's never done Tom Waits any harm. :big_smile:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!