Loss and Emptiness

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Loss and Emptiness

Post by VikingBlues »

A couple of companion pieces - both attempts at a composition in Csus2 tuning (CGCGCD).
Not so much tunes as attempts at mood. Of a depressed kind I'm afraid ..... sorry.
Real life has been intruding on my guitar. The passing away of my Mum's dog after 16 years, and the heart disease that is killing one of our dogs. A horrible irony there in that such a big hearted dog should have an actual too big heart.

:music1: "Faithful Friends" https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13709379
The sadness of canine friends leaving this life on earth. But there's hopefully a little light in there too.
I've noticed that most of the phrases have a downward movement in pitch.

The next one should come up automatically if you leave Soundclick playing, but if it doesn't here's the link.
:music1: "Emptiness" https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13709377
The empty feeling that results in the house and in the soul, after the passing of the dog. No lightness here if I've got it right - just bleak and cold.

The good times more than make up for it though.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Loss and Emptiness

Post by 12bar »

VikingBlues wrote: Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:34 pm The good times more than make up for it though.
I'm sure they had/have a really good life with you.
As often sad times lead to great music. Very depressing, but wonderful playing.
Better days will come.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Gerd. :D

I felt these worked a bit better than most of my attempts to date at making music to mark these sadder events.
fenson

Post by fenson »

Faithful Friends is just beautiful guitar piece.
I'm pretty sure you should work Marin Marie or Robert de Visée guitar music, think of it :D ;-)
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks Fenson. :D

I recall Robert de Visée guitar music from my classical guitar playing days way back in time! Very musical pieces, particularly in the hands of great players like Juilian Bream, Andres Segovia and many others who really know how to play classical guitar.
Ahhh - that flat and wide fretboard of a typical classical guitar - I well remember the aches and pains in the left hand fingers! :sad:
Rather more difficult to play his Prelude on a Theorbo (never heard of one till recently) than a guitar I think ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bv1WaCeSJTA ..... some wonderful sounds and resonances from that beast of an instrument. :thumbsup:
I wonder what % of the time is spent tuning all the strings on this or the bigger lutes.

I am afraid I don't know the name Marin Marie. I will have to do some internet searching.
fenson

Post by fenson »

Oups! wrong spelling! I would write Marin Marais! Sorry :shy:
Marin Marie is a french painter (mainly sea landscape and boats).
Robert de Visée might played on steel string guitar too:
<https://youtu.be/99mDDw6_b1s>
RIP Larry.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Ah - that does make more sense now! :thumbsup:

Nice link to the Larry Coryell. Another interesting crossover piece. :D
I like that technique of taking a written piece of music and then improving around it. I tend to call it semi-improvised.
It gives a structure to the playing built into the original work, but it allows creative flow and exploration and makes you as the player listen to the music in a different way. Best of both worlds.

Sorry it's taken me a long time to reply. Not just incredibly hectic at work but in the middle of trying to sell the house and it's meant hardly any free time at all the last 2-3 weeks. :sad:
fenson

Post by fenson »

No problem Mark, we all have to deal with real life! On the same LP, Larry offered his own version of the Pavane for a dead Princess (Ravel) still on a steel string guitar, another jewel!
Have a nice summer too!