"Minimal", but in a different way

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

"Minimal", but in a different way

Post by VikingBlues »

I usually play in a minimal way, but this is different.

I watched a documentary about Minimalist music at the weekend. People like Terry Riley, La Monte Young, Steve Reich, Phillip Glass etc.
I thought I'd try something influenced by some of the things I heard and saw discussed. Too tired to play anything properly.

This recording is a multitrack and except for a couple of accidental wrong notes has the limitation of only using the notes of A and D. Guitar in DADGAD so an obvious choice of notes. Just made up on the hoof - I'm no Terry Riley so I didn't have specific ranges of phrases to be played like in his "In C".

2 x acoustic guitar, 2 x mandolin, 1 x Seagull Merlin (Dulcimer), 1 x Vibraphone (VST), 1 x Grand Piano (VST).
Here it is for what it's worth.
:music1: https://app.box.com/s/agtctdm3qoj19fd3kwax3pyq9xi7z8ar
To avoid boredom it's maybe best listened to while smoking something exotic!

PS I know I cheated a bit with the 2 slightly bent notes gradually released, but it was a signal for later recorded tracks that the end was near.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Re: "Minimal", but in a different way

Post by fenson »

Exactly what it is supposed to be: MUSIC! :clap: :clap: :clap: Just love it :thumbsup:
VikingBlues wrote: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:20 pm To avoid boredom it's maybe best listened to while smoking something exotic!
Tought humour was english, not scottish... I was wrong indeed! :rofl:
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I always thought life here in the flat land is depressing, but over there in Scotland it seems not much different... :big_smile:

Like EC once said:
"My driving philosophy about making music is that you can reduce it all down to one note if that note is played with the right kind of sincerity"
You mastered it! :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Thanks guys! Glad it wasn't too bad for your ears. :D

The recording does highlight how important rhythm is to making music work - there's a bit just short of 55 seconds where the rhythm falters and it really makes me wince. :sad:

I'm surprised that the limitations for melody with only two notes don't cause bigger problems.

It's good to try something new every so often - it involved improvising too, so that's the box ticked for my main musical passion. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!