Reaper - 1st try

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
12bar
Site Admin

Reaper - 1st try

Post by 12bar »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mauaTFEDKC0

The usual boring :lol: video from where I live, this time hiking around the "Eternal lake" ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ewiges_Meer ). Very simple, just a repeating picking pattern, some guitar notes and playing over different VST instruments with my midi keyboard, recording and mixing with Reaper.

Next time will be Blues time, I promise... :fingerscrossed: :lol:
tytlblues

Re: Reaper - 1st try

Post by tytlblues »

Nicely done! :D :D Reaper seems to work well for you.....left a comment on your tube page. Very nice scenery, and your composition goes well with the video. :chicken: :chicken: :chicken:

It’s a lot of fun to add the backing instruments, and modern DAW software is making it easier,
Tytlblues

"Notes are expensive... spend them wisely”
BB King
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks! :shy:
tytlblues wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:16 am It’s a lot of fun to add the backing instruments, and modern DAW software is making it easier,
Oh, yes! So many possibilities to try, you can spend hours and hours to get what you want. I was familiar with the sounds of my Ignite software, but it doesn't work with other DAWs, so I had/have to search for the right VSTs and try them all out. And there are A LOT! :big_smile:
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

My son was with me and made his own video - playing organ:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3lBKRcnPcE

(yes it's the same guy that plays prog metal... :big_smile: )
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

I missed seeing this when it was first posted.

Very good piece of multi-track recording and nice use of VSTs also - Reaper working well for you. :thumbsup:

You mentioned the simple repeating picking pattern, but often it's the simpler things that are most memorable, and most atmospheric. As is the case with this recording. :clap:

You're right about there being a lot of VSTs out there! I think I currently have about 50 in my VST folder.

I'm impressed again by your son's abilities with the church organ music. A bit of a far cry from prog-metal right enough!
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
fenson

Post by fenson »

Since I first learn so called "classic music", I've always think Metal and even more Prog Metal are closest to
classic musicc than they are to Rock and even more to the Blues!
The french Metal band Gojira is an example among others...

Too precisely written music to leave a place for real improvisation... :icon_whoknows:

Probably the reason I still do prefer "Fusion" or "Progressive Jazz" (the ECM years with Jan Garbarek, Keith
Jarrett just to name few) :D

Anyhow counterpoint improvisation is probably one of the most efficient practice I know to really feel at home
with scales, chords... Harmony!
Ted Greene wrote a book called "Chords Alchemy" where he demonstrates how to approach counterpoint improvisation...
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
Hellhoundsonme

Post by Hellhoundsonme »

That could not have been an easy video/recording to make. It sounded like a great movie soundtrack.

Your work was not in vain, I assure you. That was nice.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks! :shy:
Currently I'm back to the Blues, simple acoustic. I just can't record it, maybe I try some acoustic sounding settings for my Sheraton.
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Shame that about not being able to record acoustic.

I'd like to hear your take on acoustic blues - I'm sure it would be very good.

If you did decide to do something about acoustic recording one day I'd highly recommend the Zoom H4n.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

The problem is not only the recorder - I simply don't have a room for it :big_smile:
A have a small corner in our living room with my PC and guitars, but it's never quiet. That's why I still use the Line6 Toneport + headphones a lot. :music2:

Currently discovered the MT PowerdrumKit VST, sounds natural and it's free.