lost another friend...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

lost another friend...

Post by Blindboy »

I found out tonight, that my good friend Jeri passed away today. She was a sweet woman and a great blues singer. Petite with flaming red hair, she could belt it like Janis. We were in a couple of bands together before she got ill. I will miss her.
I sat down with guitar and BT and just remembered her. (I put in the modulated strat verse because she would have liked it)
download/file.php?id=497
Not really my best playing, but that's OK.
Seems like I have lost a lot of friends in the last few years. :sad:
I have made some new ones though, (including y'all here) I guess life keeps on rumbling along.
Goodbye Jeri... I will dedicate "Stormy Monday" to you when I sing it at the bar tomorrow night. :peace:
Attachments

rembering Jeri.mp3 - (5.16 MiB)

"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
VikingBlues

Re: lost another friend...

Post by VikingBlues »

I'm so sorry to hear that news Blindboy.

You've recorded a piece with huge resonance of feeling - it says more than words could. Whatever the technical faults you might have noticed it's beautiful playing for a beautiful person.

The world seems to lose the sweet ones too soon - I hope that it's because they've learned how to live properly in this dimension and are allowed to move onto someting better sooner.

I wish you strength for a good send off performance at the bar.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Sad news Bb .........and I'm sorry for you, ............always tough to lose a good chum !! :alright:

As you say ............sometimes the good ones get taken early !! .........

Nice piece you've recorded there , a lovely tribute !! ......I wonder if you could play it at her funeral ??

Good luck tonight matey :thumbsup:
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Beautiful playing, albeit for a really sad reason - I'm sorry to hear that. Take care.
ElMano

Post by ElMano »

Sad News Blind Boy Always hard to lose a good friend. Great playing (Needless to say but i want you to know) I want you to know that you are in my mind at the funeral to give you some backup and strength. And i wish i could be with you to play Stormy Monday with you and remember all the good friends that we lost to early. Live is not always joy The sadness we feel make scares that heel very slowly. I wish you all the strength you need.
You can't bend the rule, Every man is some womans fool
vancouverois

Post by vancouverois »

Nice playing, beautiful.
Sad news, my thoughts are with you.
Good luck for Monday night.
Jan 15th 2007
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks, y'all, for the kind thoughts. It's hard to lose friends (as we old-timers know all too well :oldie: ), but she had been very ill for a number of years and is resting now.
VikingBlues wrote:The world seems to lose the sweet ones too soon - I hope that it's because they've learned how to live properly in this dimension and are allowed to move onto someting better sooner.
What a nice thought... I agree.
Strummer07 wrote:Nice piece you've recorded there , a lovely tribute !! ......I wonder if you could play it at her funeral ??
Thanks Strummer07... I guess they could use the recording as background music while guests are milling around getting seated, but I could never preform this. It was totally stream of consciousness, I could never play it the same way again.
12bar wrote:Beautiful playing, albeit for a really sad reason
Thanks 12bar... I guess I am (we are) lucky to have music and particularly blues to express ourselves at times like this.
ElMano wrote:And i wish i could be with you to play Stormy Monday with you and remember all the good friends that we lost to early. Live is not always joy The sadness we feel make scares that heel very slowly.
That's very true, ElMano. That's why our tradition around here is to make music and remember our friends with joy. It seems to help. I wish you could be there to play Stormy Monday too... Our Monday night gigs are fun...
vancouverois wrote:Nice playing, beautiful.
Sad news, my thoughts are with you.
Good luck for Monday night.
Thanks, vancouverois... I appreciate it.
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

Sorry to hear about your loss BB.
You seem to have channeled quite a bit of emotion into this song.
Well done.

at a few places I was led into the believe I heard VB playing... who is influencing who in this community ?
(don't tell him, but the lack of reverb put me on the right path)
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks, HBL.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:at a few places I was led into the believe I heard VB playing... who is influencing who in this community ?
(don't tell him, but the lack of reverb put me on the right path)
:lol: I really couldn't say... :lol: I am influenced by just about everything I hear. Maybe what you are hearing is me being influenced by your influence on VB's playing... :cool:
:away:
bluesinbflat

Post by bluesinbflat »

Sorry to hear about your friend, my condolences.
MojoJim

Post by MojoJim »

Sorry to hear this Blindboy. I'm sure our entire 12bar community feels your sadness and offers you support in your grieving. I hear your playing as both an expression of your feelings and as a tribute to her. If we could all be there we could create a fitting wake for Jeri, a blues singer and your friend.

My very best to you,
Jim
Golfxzq

Post by Golfxzq »

Blindboy,

I would like to extend my deepest sympathy along with all the rest of your friends here at 12Bar. It is terribly difficult to loose a friend. Your playing shows your emotion and your loss.
"Whether you think that you can, or that you can't, you are usually right."
- Henry Ford
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Bluesinbflat, Golfxzq, and MojoJim... thank you. I truly believe that she is in a better place, and that we are, in a way, celebrating, but I will miss her. :tears:
Tonight, at the bar where I first met/performed with her (my first open mic here in Jemez Springs NM, I started "Stormy Monday", and talked about my relationship with her, (Some of the musicians on stage, and much of the audience knew her) and then said "This one's for you Jeri.", and then leaned on it as hard as I could. The rest of the band was totally on it, and gave me the space and support I needed to take it to the river. :music2: :amp: :bb: Was good. :thumbsup:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Blindboy wrote:Bluesinbflat, Golfxzq, and MojoJim... thank you. I truly believe that she is in a better place, and that we are, in a way, celebrating, but I will miss her. :tears:
Tonight, at the bar where I first met/performed with her (my first open mic here in Jemez Springs NM, I started "Stormy Monday", and talked about my relationship with her, (Some of the musicians on stage, and much of the audience knew her) and then said "This one's for you Jeri.", and then leaned on it as hard as I could. The rest of the band was totally on it, and gave me the space and support I needed to take it to the river. :music2: :amp: :bb: Was good. :thumbsup:
I'm thankful that it went well for you all. Well done Blindboy - it can't have been easy but ihat was a beautiful thing you did - it was good that she had such wonderful caring friends. :thumbsup:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Strummer07

Post by Strummer07 »

Good on you Bb ...a Fitting tribute to a good pal.

What a lovely expression ....." to take it to the River"
"Death is just a heartbeat away"
lyric from "Out in The Fields"
Gary Moore 1952-2011
oneeyedslide

Post by oneeyedslide »

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you and all who knew her.