The old Gibson SG...

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
Blindboy

The old Gibson SG...

Post by Blindboy »

... gets a new lease on life. My buddy did a stellar job refurbishing my 1969 SG. This is the second time I have used it, and I'm starting to get a feel for it. It plays very differently from my Strat; the neck is narrower but fatter and it feels longer because of where the neck joins the body. I have the amp set up for the Strat, so that it is mostly clean but breaks up when I turn the guitar up and play harder. With the Gibson, it starts out gritty and goes from there. I'm playing the neck pickup with the tone knob at 75% and the volume at 75% until the last solo.
https://youtu.be/TPe3BGnbrGA
It won't replace the Strat, but I'm going to break it out pretty often, I think. :cool:
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"
fenson

Re: The old Gibson SG...

Post by fenson »

Wonderful rebirth for old Miss SG :D
Never been that much comfortable with her narrow neck, it sounds you've already quite tame that horse :thumbsup:
Have fun
"Don't be afraid by wrong notes, it doesn't exist" Miles Davis.
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Sounds like you get more and more confident while playing! :music2:

I like the smaller neck on my Epi (little fingers...), but I had a hard time in the beginning because the high E string is nearer at the edge...
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Revitalised sounds from your SG there, and it seems like you caught extra enthusiasm as a result. Excellent! :clap:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
Blindboy

Post by Blindboy »

Thanks guys... I'm having fun trying to tame this beast. :music2:
The different neck and very different tone and response are a bit of a challenge. Lately, I haven't been all that happy with my playing, perhaps this challenge will help me get over the "slump".
For a bit of contrast, I'll post a vid from the same night, same amp settings, using the Strat. No pedals were used on either cut.
"Throw yo' big leg over me Mama, I might not feel this good again!"