Hard Times Coming Soon Too

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Hard Times Coming Soon Too

Post by VikingBlues »

In the pause while we wait for the 'key to the Highway'' style slow blues, I'll just post up an acoustic (non blues :shy: ) number.

I continue to try to write 'tunes' for acoustic. This most recent one started out sounding with rather too much of a classical guitar genre to it all.
I then used the written tune to that point as a basic framework and started improvising additional notes round it and tried to loosen up the phrasing a bit. Then tried to remember what I'd improvised and kept practising it using those changes.

In Csus2 tuning. The Vintage GG2000 Gordon Giltrap Signature Acoustic recorded by dual Avantone CK-1 mics.

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13467004

By necessity pretty simple - no use of the fretting hand little finger at all any more.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
HalfBlindLefty
Admin

Re: Hard Times Coming Soon Too

Post by HalfBlindLefty »

For as much as it counts :) I really like this tune VB.
I got that classical feeling straight away. Did I sense a bit of local folk-style in there ?

Well done, recording sounds amazingly good !
A long time ago, in the old forum : Registered: Mon, 27 Nov 2006. Wonder were the other old members all went....
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

I think I wrote it before, but this is really your tuning. It sounds so natural, perfect tone - would fit to a movie about the Highlands... :pray:
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

12bar wrote:I think I wrote it before, but this is really your tuning. It sounds so natural, perfect tone - would fit to a movie about the Highlands... :pray:
Thanks Gerd. :D It is a tuning I hadn't heard of before I started listening to Martin Simpson. I wish I could get anywhere near his level!! But yes, I've been playing so much Scots based 'folk'/trad music recently that it influences my playing a lot. I was playing an Irish tune in Csus2 today and found myself changing the timing and phrasing of it so it ended up sounding like a Scottish tune.
HalfBlindLefty wrote:For as much as it counts :) I really like this tune VB.
I got that classical feeling straight away. Did I sense a bit of local folk-style in there ?

Well done, recording sounds amazingly good !
It counts a great deal HBL and thank you - you have music in you that channels from you into your guitars so your opinion on any guitar music is worth hearing. :thumbsup:
I think your summary of a classical basis and a local folk-style overlaid fits the recording very well.

By the way the strings on that guitar are the Newtone Heritage Low Tension 12s I've mentioned on your thread about the 'Red' guitar.
I'm usually recording the acoustics with a pair of Avantone CK-1 small diaphragm condensers these days. One has an Omni pattern capsule and the other a Cardioid. It's a combination that seems to captures more of the sounds of an acoustic guitar than a single cardioid does.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!