Arctic Ground Squirrel

Upload and discuss your songs here. Open for Jazz and Rock, too!
Forum rules
Please do not upload songs protected by 3rd party copyright!
VikingBlues

Arctic Ground Squirrel

Post by VikingBlues »

Three months since my last attempt at a song and it was the end of April when I gave up on the second on-line song writing course.

So much for the courses getting me writing songs on a regular basis. :roll:

I did notice on the Berklee song writing course the idea that there was merit to taking a particular object, item, place, thing etc and making yourself write a song about it. About that time I saw a video about the Ground Arctic Squirrel and thought it could be a good subject. Every so often I have been reminded of this thought, and have then done nothing about it.

It had been a particularly crap week and weekend - maybe that pressure elsewhere gets creative things flowing as an antidote, or at least as a distraction. Anyway - at the weekend this little song about that remarkable creature came into being. I wish the song was as remarkable!

:music1: http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13395979

Vintage VE2000GG in DADGAD, plus the Ashbury mandolin, accompanied by the old Viking croak. I hope someone might like it. :fingerscrossed:

Now into week 7 with the new guitar and I'm really enjoying it - I've hardly played any of the others in that time ... hope they're not getting jealous.
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Re: Arctic Ground Squirrel

Post by 12bar »

You're a complete musician! Backing, solo, singing *and* background singing plus lyrics - sounds great! :pray:
Did you record each part separately?

And yes, IF you take the time to record (which I usually forget) you can be very creative when under stress. When I really have some free time (which happens not often) and I think OK, sit down and record something that has been on my mind for some time, it doesn't work. :icon_whoknows:
MichaelRobinson

Post by MichaelRobinson »

Great !! Copyprotect this song !!
VikingBlues

Post by VikingBlues »

Whew - one very, very busy (and stressful) week :wall: , but I can now start to catch up on hobbies and music forums! :banana:

Thanks guys - and my apologies for the lack of blues-iness to the song. :D

Yes Gerd - each part was recorded separately. I find recording the acoustic guitar and vocal at the same time tricky as I only have two inputs on my USB interface and I much prefer to use two microphones to record the guitar. Dual microphones are so much better for acoustic guitar sound. In any case I find there's problems with spillover with the vocal mic picking up guitar and the other way round too when both guitar and vocals are recorded at the same time.

I rehearse playing and singing at the same time till I've got a strong enough sense of how the words will be sung, then I record the guitar part while imagining the vocal - then immediately record the vocal so that the two link together properly. I like to have the guitar rhythm varying a bit and changing to underline the rhythm of the words.

I'm not keen on the idea of a fixed rigid guitar rhythm that's the same all the way through the song as I don't think it serves the song and the words as well, but I know there's a lot of players disagree and are very keen on a very rigid structure. :icon_whoknows:
An improv a day keeps the demons at bay!
12bar
Site Admin

Post by 12bar »

Thanks VB!